3-Car Garage Homes

ps9 said:
I say go for this one instead..http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/10595-Bruns-Dr-92782/home/4774356
Not bordering Jamboree nor Pioneer, but it does have a pool (could be good or bad).  Just came back on market for $780k
We actually saw this one with IrvineRealtor... although I could have checked it out at the Broker's Preview 2 days ago.

Very well kept... the pool is nice... but the expense/headache is not. Someone must have liked it... it went pending already.

I didnt feel like reading 29 pages of messages, but what are your thoughts on 3 car tandem garages? do they still count? or are they fake imposters? 

thedude111222 said:
I didnt feel like reading 29 pages of messages, but what are your thoughts on 3 car tandem garages? do they still count? or are they fake imposters? 
They are better than 2-car garages. At least a tandem gives you extra storage space but it doesn't give you the extra width for your driveway and the footprint of your home.

Ranking:

3CWG
3CLG - 2 car L garage (PS9's Sleeper property is set up like that)
3CTG - 3 car tandem garage
2CWG - 2 car wide garage
2CGM - 2 car garage motorcourt

3CWG
3CLG
3CTG
2CPG - 2 car garages, but with a car port
2CSG - 2 car garages, on the side
2CWG
2CGMd - 2 car garages, motor court but with driveway
2CGA - 2 car garages, alley loaded no driveway
2CGM - 2 car garages, motor court no driveway
2CTPG - 2 car tandem but pass through garages
2CTG - 2 car tandem garages

irvinehomeowner said:
thedude111222 said:
They are better than 2-car garages. At least a tandem gives you extra storage space but it doesn't give you the extra width for your driveway and the footprint of your home.

Ranking:

3CWG
3CLG - 2 car L garage (PS9's Sleeper property is set up like that)
3CTG - 3 car tandem garage
2CWG - 2 car wide garage
2CGM - 2 car garage motorcourt

Can't believe I hadn't posted here for over a year and a half.

Two listings in Northwood caught my eye today, same exact floorplan, same neighborhood, almost same price (with 8s) and even the same agent... which one would you go for?

29 Lee 4/3 2574sft 4800sft lot $988,800http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/29-Lee-92620/home/4783242

4 McLean 4/3 2574sft 4800sft lot $980,880http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/4-Mclean-92620/home/4783219

McLean has the better location and curb appeal (IMO) but the unfortunate 4 in the address. It also has a better kitchen but Lee has better bathroom upgrades.

These homes were trading for $100k less in 2012... gotta love Irvine.

McLean FTW, I would go with a Union general over confederate,  plus you can always sue Mcdonalds for copyright if they ever release a skinny burger. :)

bones said:
Both houses give me a (bad) 80s vibe.
There is nothing bad about the 80s. :)

But I understand what you mean. The key for older homes is to look past the decor and picture it with updated features like the new homes.

What I like about this particular model (other than the 3CWG) is the izz-O layout, vaulted ceilings, his/her master closets,  and separate laundry (although not upstairs).  Here is the floorplan:

xbjm05.jpg

This happens to be a StanPac one that was used in several 'hoods in Irvine. I didn't realize copy/paste was so prevalent in Irvine in the 80s. I would take some of that space in the formal living and put it in the family room.

It amazes me that both of these opened today with the same agent. I wonder how he's telling each client how he will sell one over the other.

I give thank you because you actually did research and added a floor plan which all adds value to your post.

On the subject of "4" in the address. 
What is the difference in price between an address with a "4" and an address with an "8".  Back in my econometrics class in college (which I dropped out of), we were suppose to do a project on anything we want using economic statistical modeling.  If I were still in that class, I would pick this subject.

The question would be: How much money does an "8" in the address garner relative to a "4" and relative to none of the above?

I bet TIC has already done this study.  I noticed that the Pavilion Park model homes all have 8s in them...laugh.

Not sure if the 4 results in a measurable difference in price than an 8, I just think it may take longer to sell.

Other factors negate the 4 entirely, for example, we looked at this house in Quail Hill the day after it hit the market:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/43-Coriander-92603/home/5945678

It had multiple offers and didn't even make it to the Open House that weekend before it went into escrow and sold for $5k over list. Prior to that, same exact floorplans with a better location languished on the market for months and sold for below list.

I think the 4 and 8 is an interesting topic.  However, I am not in contact with that particular econ professor anymore, but if I knew someone who had to do a project, this would be it.  Perhaps they wouldn't find any correlation, or would find it takes longer to sell...which would be something.  They can get an "A" in the project, and then present their findings to KB homes, Lennar, TIC, and try to get a job with them..

I see this quite a bit when I tour resale homes.

The ones that are nice and in neutral tones and look like model homes get offered on quick, while others, even if bigger or more bedroom count, sit on the market for a while if they have dated interiors/design.

What I have to get over is the new price paradigms. It's hard for me to buy a house listed at $1m when they were sub $800k just a few years ago. It also kills me because back then I thought they would go lower and kept waiting but instead I missed the bottom and prices rose so quickly.

irvinehomeowner said:
It amazes me that both of these opened today with the same agent. I wonder how he's telling each client how he will sell one over the other.

Well, there is one thing the "outdated" home has over the more expensive house. The kitchen. And that, my friend, is half the battle! Take it from somebody who has done a couple of them. Look closely at the Lee kitchen which they call "custom". See the cutting board? Dead giveaway. All they did was make a half-assed attempt at upgrading with what looks like new doors but kept the old cabinets. They may have refaced because I see they've done hidden hinges and done away with the old ones. And WHO BRAGS about Jenn Air appliances?! They are some of the worst quality. I'm shocked the agent put that in the description. I'd have him take that out if that was my listing. Also, is it me or did they add that little extra cabinet/counter space on the Lee kitchen? The toe-kick area looks messed up. They didn't do a very good job. I don't see it in the original floor plan image you posted above. Regardless of which kitchen "looks" better, the McLean kitchen looks much nicer QUALITY.

bones said:
I think a 4 in the house number is not necessarily a deal breaker or bad. But the number 4 by itself and 44 would be bad. My house had a 4 in it. Sold to an FCB from mainland china.

So are you trying to say that many people will not want to ride in this taxi because of the number?  :eek:

photo_van_01.jpg

Back