2022 Agency loan limits now confirmed

Being in SV and back at the office and having some of the biggest names out there as my customers provides some perspective that may not be available to the general public:

1. WFH pendulum is reversing - hard. The biggest companies are building tons of new office space here. No HR love for remote workers when considering promotions. I've seen this pendulum swing back and forth 3-4 times over the past 2 decades. You can survive but thriving with promotions to sustain that career becomes much more challenging and I've seen very few that can make it work.

2. Pay attention to recent earnings and you'll see many companies getting squeezed by material constraints - less revenue = less operating margin = less hiring.

3. With entry level wages going through the roof we are seeing the beginnings of the price/wage spiral the Fed spent decades trying to contain. They have been wrong at every juncture since Greenspan took the chair, and will very likely be forced to adjust to market reality sooner than they want. That will drain huge $$$ from all other asset classes as LL pointed out.

I don't WANT any of this to happen, but I've learned enough since 2006/7 leading up to the last debt bubble that the tea leaves are starting to take shape.

Again, the Fed is not the BOJ and America is not Japan, where trillions are parked in 0.005% yielding postal savings accounts as not losing money has been the mindset since their debt bubble exploded 30 yrs ago.

There are so many roles in Marketing/Corp services etc that will be culled just like they were post-2000 and post-2007/8. People will be forced to sell. I had a colleague in Austin in 2003 have to bring a check to the closing table when he sold in order to move for his new role. We'll see that again.

OCtoSV said:
Being in SV and back at the office and having some of the biggest names out there as my customers provides some perspective that may not be available to the general public:

1. WFH pendulum is reversing - hard. The biggest companies are building tons of new office space here. No HR love for remote workers when considering promotions. I've seen this pendulum swing back and forth 3-4 times over the past 2 decades. You can survive but thriving with promotions to sustain that career becomes much more challenging and I've seen very few that can make it work.

2. Pay attention to recent earnings and you'll see many companies getting squeezed by material constraints - less revenue = less operating margin = less hiring.

3. With entry level wages going through the roof we are seeing the beginnings of the price/wage spiral the Fed spent decades trying to contain. They have been wrong at every juncture since Greenspan took the chair, and will very likely be forced to adjust to market reality sooner than they want. That will drain huge $$$ from all other asset classes as LL pointed out.

I don't WANT any of this to happen, but I've learned enough since 2006/7 leading up to the last debt bubble that the tea leaves are starting to take shape.

Again, the Fed is not the BOJ and America is not Japan, where trillions are parked in 0.005% yielding postal savings accounts as not losing money has been the mindset since their debt bubble exploded 30 yrs ago.

There are so many roles in Marketing/Corp services etc that will be culled just like they were post-2000 and post-2007/8. People will be forced to sell. I had a colleague in Austin in 2003 have to bring a check to the closing table when he sold in order to move for his new role. We'll see that again.
Interesting. I find it hard to believe that tech companies will crash in a rising interest rate environment. Assuming the company isn't reckless with their capital. For example, what makes you think that DOCU or OKTA would crash hard? These services are used throughout tech companies and non tech companies. The profits that they make for their products are high while the cost to maintain their products isn't that high. So how would their earnings be impacted? Unless you're saying that companies will stop using OKTA or DOCU because interest rates are up which doesn't really make sense. When interest rates go up, the economy is doing well. And tech companies tend to make goods cost less due to robots/computers doing the work instead of actual humans.

I heard UBER use to use VC money to subsidize about 30% of the ride to grab market share.
Now that they are public, rates have gone up ....about 30%.

So a company like UBER would have a hard time funding their business when loans dry up.

zubs said:
I heard UBER use to use VC money to subsidize about 30% of the ride to grab market share.

So a company like UBER would have a hard time funding their business when loans dry up.
I don't consider UBER a tech company though. They are under the rides & transportation industry. They so happen to use technology to power their service but that's about it.

sleepy5136 said:
zubs said:

I don't consider UBER a tech company though. They are under the rides & transportation industry. They so happen to use technology to power their service but that's about it.

Uber by definition is a tech company. They don't have capital assets like cars and only really have software. What else would they be?

Cares said:
sleepy5136 said:
zubs said:

Uber by definition is a tech company. They don't have capital assets like cars and only really have software. What else would they be?
Transportation/Ride Sharing. Sure, they have an app to power their service. But does that mean InstaCart is a tech company too?

Also, I have not checked their earnings, but Uber does allow drivers to "rent" cars. So unless someone else owns those cars, it must be Uber.

sleepy5136 said:
Cares said:
sleepy5136 said:
zubs said:

But does that mean InstaCart is a tech company too?

Yes? I don't know what you think a tech company is or isn't but both Uber and Instacart's main platforms and drivers for revenue are their technology and platform.

Ready2Downsize said:
Not because of interest rates but docu is down almost 30% after hours

Their 4th quarter guidance is weak. They're expecting $557M to $563M while average expectation from analysts is $573.8M. But 30% drop is still brutal though.

Liar Loan said:
Cares said:
Liar Loan said:
The tech industry as we know it has never had to face a rising rate environment.  It's easy to raise capital for high risk ventures when money is cheap and getting cheaper all the time.

So 2013 through 2018 was not considered a rising rate environment? Average 30 year mortgages rose from 3.32% to 4.94%

In the same period, these tech stock prices:
Facebook - $28 to $137 (5x)
Amazon - $259 to $1575 (6x)
Apple - $18 to $37 (2x)
Netflix - $12 to $297 (25x)
Google - $352 to $1,046 (3x)
QQQ - $66 to $152 (2.3x)

I don't think mortgage rates directly affect FAANG stocks.  If you look at 10 Yr Treasuries, they have been rangebound for the past 10 years - fluctuating between 1.4%-3.2% for that entire time.  There has been no sustained increasing rate environment.  Also, FAANG stocks have sustainable competitive advantages that will allow them to grow, but the rest of tech will be hit harder with the removal of easy money.
^ I'm specifically talking about this comment. The removal of easy money will not be the reason why tech stocks will fall. It will be because of their earnings which for DOCU is exactly that. Not because of removal of easy money or a rising interest rate environment. Removal of easy money or interest rate moving higher will impact stocks like Lucid which is trading at a huge premium as if it had actual sales.

Back