2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

I'm still waiting on the upcoming tablets due in the summer.  Nothing out now is making me want to go out and buy it.

It's interesting that the Fire is doing so well and is similar to the iPad in that it basically has it's own ecosystem, like the iPad, even though it's Android.  If you don't root it, you get media (movies, books, apps) through Amazon.  To get free ebook rentals, you have to have the Fire.

My friend told me that Costco has the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" for $239 with a case.

It only has 8GB but at least you can return it if you don't like it.

good enough for me...

Google-Nexus-tab.jpg

The Childpad is on pre-order at ToysRUs and Amazon for only $129.99. I might pick up a pair of those for out in-house, in-vehicle entertainment for kids. Just wish they didn't use that name... or should have just called it a KidPad, a cPad, a kPad, a FunPad, a fPad... anything but Childpad... gah.

irvinehomeowner said:
The Childpad is on pre-order at ToysRUs and Amazon for only $129.99. I might pick up a pair of those for out in-house, in-vehicle entertainment for kids. Just wish they didn't use that name... or should have just called it a KidPad, a cPad, a kPad, a FunPad, a fPad... anything but Childpad... gah.

Highly recommend LeapPad, if you're considering something like that.
-IR2

I think we had two of those... they outgrew them with their DSis.

The ChildPad would work for them because they can download any apps they want and the market on the ChildPad is kid-oriented. I can also put videos/movies on a 16gb microSD (only around $10 now) and they will be happy.

The one review on Amazon for the Childpad is not so good... maybe I'll just wait for the Nexus 7 tablet from Google.

I've been remiss in keeping this thread updated (probably because rc is on hiatus again)... but now Microsoft is jumping into the tablet arena (using a name from their tabletop interface)... the Surface:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-tablets-the-differences-between-rt-and-window/

Looks like two lines, one using Win8RT and the other using Win8Pro... the latter being more "beefier".

Not sure how well they will do... but all the anti-Android, anti-Apple fans keeps saying that they want a Windows tablet.

This is what Engadget thinks:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/19/editorial-engadget-on-microsofts-new-surface-tablet-line/

irvinehomeowner said:
The one review on Amazon for the Childpad is not so good...

I have no clue what a Childpad is (a kid-friendly Ipad is my guess), but I don't like the name. Can't put my finger on why.

For me, those priorities are reversed.  The rear camera on our iPad is used quite a bit and I guess I don't store too much on it.

Reactions: rkp
I consider myself an apple fanboy but that Nexus 7 is looking pretty tempting, especially at $199. I also considered getting a Kindle Fire and iPad 2 but held off. I am not familiar with all the latest specs on Android pads--do the specs/software for this 7" seem up to par? Opinions?

irvinehomeowner said:
I can understand with phones because many of them are 3MP+ (and the iPhone4S has a great camera) but the rear camera on the iPad is less than 1MP I think.

We ended up taking a lot of random videos of my daughter with the iPad 2.  We didn't anticipated how much we would use that feature.  We use our phones too sometimes for this. 

The iPad 2 back camera shoots video at 720p and pictures at .7MP
The new iPad back camera shoots video at 1080p and pictures at 5MP

The specs are top of the line for a 7" tablet (even for bigger ones)... it's Tegra3 quad core and runs 1280x800 resolution.

There are 10" tablets with quad core and 1920x1200 rez (or 2056x1566 in the case of the "new" iPad) but in the 7" size, the Nexus 7 has very good specs. The OS is Android 4.1 which is the new JellyBean release that is not out yet but has some nice improvements.

At $199, it's a good price but that depends if you want expandable memory (or a rear camera). Additionally, Amazon is going to announce a new Fire soon and the rumor mill says that Apple will be introducing an iPad mini in the fall.

zovall said:
Ahh yes... I forgot about that.

Still... it's like taking pictures/video with a book. I guess because we rarely take our iPad out of the house and if we are in the house... our phones are more accessible.

I think you would want an expandable memory slot if your iPad were only 8gb (which is what the Nexus 7 starts at and tops out at 16gb).

irvinehomeowner said:
zovall said:
Ahh yes... I forgot about that.

Still... it's like taking pictures/video with a book. I guess because we rarely take our iPad out of the house and if we are in the house... our phones are more accessible.

I think you would want an expandable memory slot if your iPad were only 8gb (which is what the Nexus 7 starts at and tops out at 16gb).
irvinehomeowner said:
The specs are top of the line for a 7" tablet (even for bigger ones)... it's Tegra3 quad core and runs 1280x800 resolution.

There are 10" tablets with quad core and 1920x1200 rez (or 2056x1566 in the case of the "new" iPad) but in the 7" size, the Nexus 7 has very good specs. The OS is Android 4.1 which is the new JellyBean release that is not out yet but has some nice improvements.

At $199, it's a good price but that depends if you want expandable memory (or a rear camera). Additionally, Amazon is going to announce a new Fire soon and the rumor mill says that Apple will be introducing an iPad mini in the fall.

Thanks for the quick specs update on android tablets. Sounds like I should wait till the fall and make a choice then. If apple comes out with an iPad mini that would fit with all my other Apple apps. The problem will be the price point would probably exceed $200. An updated Kindle Fire sounds interesting too. But then again I might be out of $$$ after picking up a new iPhone 5.

iacrenter said:
Thanks for the quick specs update on android tablets. Sounds like I should wait till the fall and make a choice then. If apple comes out with an iPad mini that would fit with all my other Apple apps. The problem will be the price point would probably exceed $200. An updated Kindle Fire sounds interesting too. But then again I might be out of $$$ after picking up a new iPhone 5.

i am in the tech industry and see all the stuff coming out super early so never feel like getting anything as i keep wanting to wait for whats next.  problem with that is you are always waiting...trust me, in the fall you will hear rumors about CES products and will wait till jan/feb

its like TIC...you think their newest houses rock but you hear rumors of the future garageless houses coming around the corner...

Back