paperboyNC said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
Rancho Mission Viejo relies on two roadways - Ortega Highway and Antonio Parkway. Neither of these roads are very efficient in getting you to mid or  North OC. If you work in San Diego, then this might be the right spot, but why not move to Carlsbad instead? AM traffic at the 405 and Ortega is surreal. If Antonio then becomes the only way out, it's a 7 mile drive to get to the Toll Road. Until the 241 is built RMV would not be on my short list of places to buy.

My .02c

Two different places (Rancho Santa Margarita and Rancho Mission Viejo) that are 11 miles away from each other.

the OP asked about both places.

YellowFever said:
What do you guys think about homes in Rancho Santa Margarita? 

Living there as a primary residence, raising an Asian family.  I think it's primarily a white-washed county no?

YellowFever said:
How about Rancho Mission Viejo?

Shea homes has some new homes out there.

YellowFever said:
Great, thanks for the info!
It is becoming more diverse, probably more like Irvine 25 years ago in that sense, and I presume it will continue to become more diverse. Shopping centers, etc have built up a ton in the past ten years and far more restaurants, etc. That said, good Asian food options are relatively limited. The general area is very nice, more options for homes with views, etc. Cost of living is good. 

I am in general a fan of RSM...one downside is location in the sense that in terms of a job center, unless you are lucky enough to work in the area, you got to drive a bit typically to get to where your work is.  Location, once you are at home, is pretty good in the sense that there is plenty of stuff to do (10 years ago I would have put that as more of a "con").  Schools are good, people are very nice, etc. 

YellowFever said:
How about Rancho Mission Viejo?

Shea homes has some new homes out there.
My opinion on RMV is it is too far away. If I bought way out there, I'd look at the more ocean themed communities instead.  Mella is high and prices are generally high. I think Baker Ranch is a better buy (if you wanted new) and better location (in terms of proximity to the heart of OC).  There are a lot of places I'd move to before I moved to RMV. 

YellowFever said:
It just seems crazy how for the same money, you can only get a detached home, no drive way, no back yard in Irvine... yet drive down to RSM or Aliso, and bam, you get all 3 no questions asked.  Are Irvinites getting robbed?
All depends on what you are willing to accept.  I tend to think the value proposition is pretty good, especially if one person stays at home going a bit further south. That said, I live in Irvine (even though I do get tempted from time to time to move to Dove Canyon or Coto and use the savings on a golf membership or whatever else and be able to enjoy the spaces I live in when I'm at home (that said, the trade off is more time driving to/from work...which is not exactly something that I am a fan of). 

Back