Easy, 3 bedroom detached for 2 main reasons....1) detached homes appreciate and hold value better than attached homes and 2) lower monthly HOA.

Attached homes tend to have more neighbor noise, have no Windows on one side and be harder to rebuild in the far away future.

YellowFever said:
Given the same community/neighborhood (Eastwood), everything else equal, 4 bedroom attached or 3 bedroom detached?  Both have California rooms and 2 car garages.  The detached is atleast $100k more but attached has $200 more HOA.  The attached has nobody on top, just attached on one side.

What would you pick and why?

Common sense says detached appreciates more, but at the same time, extra downstairs bedroom is a plus.  However, I've never seen data that proves that given the same specs, after 5 or 10 years, the appreciation curve of the detached begins to widen over the detached considerably

Not sure why attached homes gets knocked on so much in Irvine, considering almost all the million dollar homes in San Francisco are literally squished and attached.
Given your taste in music, I wouldn't get an attached home.

YellowFever said:
Not sure why attached homes gets knocked on so much

I'm going to turn the question around. What's GOOD about being attached?

I have my own opinion both from being a homeowner & dealing with maintenance issues of townhomes at my job. Right now, we're dealing with slab leaks, re-piping, and roof leaks. Some units already had water damage once but got it a second time through the wall from their neighbor. Fun! Not sure what they enjoy more: The higher HOA dues or the special assessments to fix all this.

Doesn't matter how much insulation or layers of drywall for attached, you'll still hear your neighbor slamming doors and the garage door.  So yeah, given the choice, I'd choose detached. 

YellowFever said:
Not sure why attached homes gets knocked on so much in Irvine, considering almost all the million dollar homes in San Francisco are literally squished and attached.

You can't compare Irvine to SF.  That's apples to oranges. 

paydawg said:
YellowFever said:

You can't compare Irvine to SF.  That's apples to oranges.

Yeah, in SF, the attached homes are a million because the free standing houses (of the very few which exist) are multi-million. Irvine is nothing like that. There's too many available options for detached homes here. Why choose attached unless you have to? For the same price range, I'd choose an older detached free standing house over new attached of the same size, or smaller new detached over larger new attached.  The  soundproofing DOES NOT WORK. I speak from experience.

Irvine is not a real city in the sense of an urban core, not even close, as much as Parasol Park is trying to position itself for "new urban living". You still need to own a car if you live there to get around in OC and SoCal in general. And all those cars are going to clog up all the streets when people use their garages as storage. Neighbor parking wars and ratting each other out for not parking two cars in your garage will ensue. Not to mention all the cars from the "in law" suites that are going to be rented out by enterprising homeowners stretching to afford their piece of Irvine property.

We are just forgetful.  Every time you change your name, it's like we have a new member that we can talk to.

AW said:
Doesn't matter how much insulation or layers of drywall for attached, you'll still hear your neighbor slamming doors and the garage door.  So yeah, given the choice, I'd choose detached.
Not true for my attached condo.

Back