104 Tearose and 104 Symphony in Quail Hill and bad luck

frank69m_IHB

I find it odd that these 2 homes with the same numbers haven't sold yet. In fact, 104 Symphony has been 287 days.

Could it be....hmmmm...A lot of Chinese buy up at Quail and 104 is an unlucky number? There is influence here :)

From Wikipedia:

<blockquote>

Four

Main article: Tetraphobia

Number 4 (?; accounting ?; pinyin s?) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese cultures because it is a homonym with the word "death" (? pinyin s?). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g. Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4), Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G[citation needed]'s series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the American practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings miss ALL floor numbers with "4", e.g. 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40-49 floors. As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 36 physical floors.

In Singapore during the early 2000s, Alfa Romeo introduced a new model, the 144. Nobody bought it, so they had to change the model number.

Number 14 is considered to be one of the unluckiest numbers in Chinese culture. Although 14 is usually said as ?? "sh? s?," which sounds like ?? "ten die", it can also be said as ?? "y? s?" or ?? "y?o s?", literally "one four". Thus, 14 can also be said as "y?o s?," literally "one four," but it also sounds like "want to die" (?? pinyin y?o s?). In Cantonese, 14 sounds like "sap6 sei3", which sounds like "sat6 sei2" meaning "certainly die" (??).

Ironically, in the Rich Text Format specification, language code 4 is for the Chinese language.

</blockquote>
Very interesting.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1237334187]Chinese will be a dead language like the Latin, so the RTF code for it is pretty appropriate.

As to the numerology of 4, I don't know if there any specific thing among Chinese against 104 other than the fact that it ends in the 4. A more probable answer as to the reason why these two houses was on the market for a relatively long time is probably due to the price tag. If they change the ~$1,299,990 price tag to $8,888,888.88, I am sure they will sell like hot cakes.</blockquote>

What are the unlucky numbers?

4 - is considered the worst number because when it's spoken in Cantonese it sounds like the word for death.

13 - if you add 1+3 it equals 4.

24 and <strong>104</strong> are also considered unlucky.

7 is considered unlucky, too!

http://www.longbeachrealestatehome.com/feng-shui-influences-how-bay-area-houses-are-priced

FWIW, I've been told that 4 and 7 are unlucky because the written characters resemble the character for "death." It's been a long time since I read any Kanji, but as I recall there is a passing resemblance. On the other hand, anecdotal evidence can become an urban legend; witness the often-invoked but dubious bit about the character for "crisis" being composed of the characters for "danger" and "opportunity."

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_translation_of_crisis">Crisis--danger and opportunity?</a>

[Hey Graph, did I finally post a link correctly?]

I thought the Roman Empire consisted of a wide variety of countries and cultures.

I doubt China will fall into a single self-contained city that mainly serves as a tourist attraction and residence for a religious figurehead.

P.S. I suck at World History.

Chinese empire was founded in 221 bc (Qin Shi Huang). Roman empire was founded in 41 bc (Agustus). In other words, Rome and China are contemporaries. However, there are no Romans in the world today. There are 1.3 billion Chinese in the world today.

<blockquote>4 - is considered the worst number because when it's spoken in Cantonese it sounds like the word for death.</blockquote>

Wonderful - that is my address. There go my chances of ever selling my home to an asian. :<

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1237516347]Chinese empire was founded in 221 bc (Qin Shi Huang). Roman empire was founded in 41 bc (Agustus). In other words, Rome and China are contemporaries. However, there are no Romans in the world today. There are 1.3 billion Chinese in the world today.</blockquote>

May be Chinese food taste much better than Roman Food?

Avoid buying a home with the first and last digit ending with a "4". It is not so bad if a "4" is the middle of 3 digits.

2,3,6, and 8's mixed in any combination is good.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1237533504][quote author="High Gravity" date=1237516347]Chinese empire was founded in 221 bc (Qin Shi Huang). Roman empire was founded in 41 bc (Agustus). In other words, Rome and China are contemporaries. However, there are no Romans in the world today. There are 1.3 billion Chinese in the world today.</blockquote>

May be Chinese food taste much better than Roman Food?</blockquote>

There are lots of Romans, some even live in Rome!

But clearly the Chinese people are better at procreating.

[quote author="swkin" date=1237562149]104 in cantonese phonetically means 'definitely will die'.</blockquote>

Case closed and hence those 2 QH properties haven't sold. Esp to a chinese which seems to be the majority of shoppers up there.

[quote author="frank69m" date=1237579845][quote author="swkin" date=1237562149]104 in cantonese phonetically means 'definitely will die'.</blockquote>

Case closed and hence those 2 QH properties haven't sold. Esp to a chinese which seems to be the majority of shoppers up there.</blockquote>
If their prices were lowered to 1,104,104... they would probably sell... even to "a chinese".

Back