>$1.5mil market slowing down?

OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
I am in the market to buy in OH.  I also really like Messina but do not like the locations and the small size of the avilable lots near the toll road.  We are trying to decide if we should wait for Neighborhood 3 or buy resale.  Padova and Varenna are too close to the toll riads as well. 

We really like the vibe of OH.  I think Altair, Beacon Park, Pavillion Park, Woodbury will have a similar feels as Westpark and Woodbridge in the future.  OH is more like Turtle Rock and Ridge where it is tucked away in the hills.

There is a Messina resale available that I really liked but was priced Out of my range but I noticed they just lowered the price by 100K.  So we are now considering that one as well.

Why not consider one of the remaining new homes in the $1.7s?  Then you can pick your own options.  That home is still grossly overpriced.

As I said lots are tiny and way too close to the toll roads.  Have you seen that Messina resale?  How much do you think is fair price?

Not over $500/sf that's for sure.  There are many, many other options for $2m both new and resale. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
I am in the market to buy in OH.  I also really like Messina but do not like the locations and the small size of the avilable lots near the toll road.  We are trying to decide if we should wait for Neighborhood 3 or buy resale.  Padova and Varenna are too close to the toll riads as well. 

We really like the vibe of OH.  I think Altair, Beacon Park, Pavillion Park, Woodbury will have a similar feels as Westpark and Woodbridge in the future.  OH is more like Turtle Rock and Ridge where it is tucked away in the hills.

There is a Messina resale available that I really liked but was priced Out of my range but I noticed they just lowered the price by 100K.  So we are now considering that one as well.

Why not consider one of the remaining new homes in the $1.7s?  Then you can pick your own options.  That home is still grossly overpriced.

As I said lots are tiny and way too close to the toll roads.  Have you seen that Messina resale?  How much do you think is fair price?

Not over $500/sf that's for sure.  There are many, many other options for $2m both new and resale.

Really?  Looking at what is available it seems far fetched a house that size with a nice pool could be bought for $1.9.  The two plan 2s for sale have basic interior upgrades and tiny lots.

if I bought new for $1.7 and added the uogrades and a pool I know where I would be cost wise and this alone would be well over 500/ft. The question is how much premium is fair for the larger lot and distance from toll road.

I have looked at all other options at $2.  Really do not like floorplans of Saviero or Vicenza.  Amelia model seemed like a bargain until I saw the home and how dark and cramped in it was.  Love the Vistas but I cannot afford them.

OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

Really?  Looking at what is available it seems far fetched a house that size with a nice pool could be bought for $1.9.  The two plan 2s for sale have basic interior upgrades and tiny lots.

if I bought new for $1.7 and added the uogrades and a pool I know where I would be cost wise and this alone would be well over 500/ft. The question is how much premium is fair for the larger lot and distance from toll road.

I have looked at all other options at $2.  Really do not like floorplans of Saviero or Vicenza.  Amelia model seemed like a bargain until I saw the home and how dark and cramped in it was.  Love the Vistas but I cannot afford them.
Fun to watch two realtors arguing >:D

Irvine Dream said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

Fun to watch two realtors arguing >:D

Lol.  Not a realtor and no intention to argue.  But point taken.

OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

Problem is two fold....one is that there are no comps to support just a price and two is that the home is over upgraded meaning the owner will get less cents on the dollar back for those upgrades.  For $2m you can look at nice homes in Tustin Ranch, Northpark, Northwood Pointe, Northwood Estates, Portola Springs, Turtle Rock, Quail Hill, Laguna Altrua, Stonegate, Woodbury, etc...you get the idea.  There are a LOT of homes to pick from around the $2m range. 

OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

You seem to be more picky with the lot and the layout of the floorplan, but doesn't mind the much smaller living sq footage models like Padova and Varenna (which u complained about their proximity to 261, but not the size), then why don't u check out the slightly smaller ~3500sf and older homes like the ones built in the mid 2000s, you can get 7000sf lot with backyard not butt up to your neighbor in IUSD without any toll road issues.  There are plenty of options for $2m like Martin mentioned.  Most ppl don't like adding $500k upgrade to their tax bill.  Having said that, it is a half decent lot which is rare in Messina given the poor location of the tract itself.  If u really like those upgrades and don't mind paying close to full price for them, then it's a match made in heaven.  Good Luck!

wacoonist said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

How about Hidden Canyon?  You can get the smaller lot 5700sq for $2.2m plus extra 1000sq of living space.  It will feel a lot bigger than the same size lot in Messina since your backyard is never butt up against your neighbor in Hidden Canyon.  tbh, I think there are only a handful of decent lots in Messina, it's either too close to 261, Culver, the gate or settlers.  That Plan 2 resale is grossly overpriced coz the seller is trying to recoup his $500k upgrades at full cost.

Hidden Canyon would be great but I dont see aything for 2.2.  Even that would leave me nothing for upgrades and andscaping.

OCres said:
wacoonist said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

How about Hidden Canyon?  You can get the smaller lot 5700sq for $2.2m plus extra 1000sq of living space.  It will feel a lot bigger than the same size lot in Messina since your backyard is never butt up against your neighbor in Hidden Canyon.  tbh, I think there are only a handful of decent lots in Messina, it's either too close to 261, Culver, the gate or settlers.  That Plan 2 resale is grossly overpriced coz the seller is trying to recoup his $500k upgrades at full cost.

Hidden Canyon would be great but I dont see aything for 2.2.  Even that would leave me nothing for upgrades and andscaping.

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-homes-for-sale/California/Toll-Brothers-at-Hidden-Canyon-Capri-Collection/Quick-Move-In/240954 
It's ready in a month.  If u could hold back on the pool, the worse lot in HC would still be better than the best lot in Messina or any of the mid-level homes in OH1.

If one is maxed out on the base price of a new build then it's not really a realistic option. Even if one went 'commando' and did zero options or upgrades, the landscaping alone would cost probably 75k minimum. And that would be spartan, not really close to what one would want in an upscale neighborhood like HC for a home that size (or OH, TR, Quail, fill in your favorite village). Also gotta figure bare minimum you'd need window coverings and some furnishings. But a luxury home that is all standard (standard tile, standard carpet, no backsplash, no nice bathroom tile, no appliances?) would not be enjoyable, would it? Realistically, count on probably about 15% on options and upgrades and another 10% for landscaping so $2.2M magically becomes more like  $2.75M.

BruinDoc said:
If one is maxed out on the base price of a new build then it's not really a realistic option. Even if one went 'commando' and did zero options or upgrades, the landscaping alone would cost probably 75k minimum. And that would be spartan, not really close to what one would want in an upscale neighborhood like HC for a home that size (or OH, TR, Quail, fill in your favorite village). Also gotta figure bare minimum you'd need window coverings and some furnishings. But a luxury home that is all standard (standard tile, standard carpet, no backsplash, no nice bathroom tile, no appliances?) would not be enjoyable, would it? Realistically, count on probably about 15% on options and upgrades and another 10% for landscaping so $2.2M magically becomes more like  $2.75M.

The home is move-in ready in a month, so you don't have a choice to add any upgrades even if you have the money to spare.  $2.2m includes all the upgrades like WOLF, tiles etc.  TB are usually really good with the upgrades since their standards are already way better than most builders.  It might still be a stretch if you r maxed out at $2.3m. You really can't skim living in HC.

If I could afford it I would consider HC but I am maxed out at about 2.1 and that is stretching it. But HC is noisy being right next to toll road and lake forest bl.  Too far from the office as well which is why I really like OH and its vibe, just not most of the floorplans.  Trevi has some good plans but way out of range.  Bella vista looks great and is a good deal I think with nice size lots.  I wish I could afford them.  The smallest plan just sold for 2.15.

If what Martin is saying is true, all resale is over priced.  There is a Vicenza for 550/ft with no landscaping, la vitas are at 600-700/ft.  Also, if you buy new you are absolutely paying full price for any upgrades you do and you have to live through the construction hell for 6 months of landscaping.  These upgrades will be marked up 50-100% if done by builder. 

So I am just not convinced there will be owners willing to sell at a loss unless distressed anywhere let alone OH.  Even $2M resales in northpark and northwood pointe are over 500/ft.  These homes are 20 years old.

I looked at other neighborhoods, but I am bullish on OH.  I think once built out they will provide good value.  The only other possibility is if builders are starting to close out and are wiling to sell the last couple of standing inventory cheap to move on.  A lot of them are doing that.  If they sold a Saviero with decent upgrades for 1.6 that will be worth serious thought.

No matter, I can't afford the Messina resale anyways so I will wait for neighborhood 3.  Hope there will be some nice floorplans and lots there. OH or bust!!! 

wacoonist said:
BruinDoc said:

The home is move-in ready in a month, so you don't have a choice to add any upgrades even if you have the money to spare.  $2.2m includes all the upgrades like WOLF, tiles etc.  TB are usually really good with the upgrades since their standards are already way better than most builders.  It might still be a stretch if you r maxed out at $2.3m. You really can't skim living in HC.
Got it,point taken. Agree that if you are unable to put in at least 100k in landscaping probably should look elsewhere. I'm guessing to keep in character with nice new neighborhoods (again HC, OH, etc. fill in your favorite) probably need to spend 150k bare-bones minimum so the home 'fits' but most owners will be spending much more...

OCres, here's something you might be interested in.

They are planning to build 236 SFR in the OH1-Phase 3 lots just north of Trevi. 
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14647.msg309737.html#msg309737

Originally it was planed for 185 units of large 4,200-4,700 sf sized homes.  Now the new proposed plan is to increase the number of units to 236 and therefore, the home and the lot size most likely will be smaller than the one originally planned. 

So its very likely the new product will be similar in size and price with Messina and Saviero and located farther away from the toll road.

I don't have much info about this yet.  Only info I had was that they applied the permit in March 2017 and waiting for the approval.  We probably will have more info about it by the end of the summer.

lnc said:

Originally it was planed for 185 units of large 4,200-4,700 sf sized homes.  Now the new proposed plan is to increase the number of units to 236 and therefore, the home and the lot size most likely will be smaller than the one originally planned. 

So its very likely the new product will be similar in size and price with Messina and Saviero and located farther away from the toll road.

I don't have much info about this yet.  Only info I had was that they applied the permit in March 2017 and waiting for the approval.  We probably will have more info about it by the end of the summer.

Thank you I will have to look more into that.  Much appreciated.

OCres said:
lnc said:

Thank you I will have to look more into that.  Much appreciated.

Messina has a really large lot just waiting for you

With its gracious interior courtyard, open plan and sophisticated styling, the Residence One at Messina is an architectural gem. But this rare (and covetable!) offering also features a big, private homesite?you know, the kind you?re dreaming about. Think 100-foot backyard. So what to do? Make an appointment to find your dream home, and don?t be surprised if it goes quickly.

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCres said:

Problem is two fold....one is that there are no comps to support just a price and two is that the home is over upgraded meaning the owner will get less cents on the dollar back for those upgrades.  For $2m you can look at nice homes in Tustin Ranch, Northpark, Northwood Pointe, Northwood Estates, Portola Springs, Turtle Rock, Quail Hill, Laguna Altrua, Stonegate, Woodbury, etc...you get the idea.  There are a LOT of homes to pick from around the $2m range. 

i agree the rawhide home is overpriced, but is it overupgraded?  the interior finishes are not really out of line, and the outdoor kitchen is a pretty standard upgrade for plan 2 with the builder. 

i was thinking of putting in a pool and a bbq in my backyard which is about the same size and didn't think it was going too far. 

Dresden215 said:
There are some Trevi owners that skimp on landscaping. Check out the landscaping on the two neighbors:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/121-Treasure-92602/home/112721590

One has minimal hardscape with grass & fruit trees. The other has turquoise AstroTurf? Anybody knows what that turquoise covering is?

I finally saw what you meant in the upper left corner of picture #8.  That must be tarps in preparation for something or perhaps to protect what excavation they had done from the rain at that time... I can't imagine that stays.

aquabliss said:
Dresden215 said:
There are some Trevi owners that skimp on landscaping. Check out the landscaping on the two neighbors:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/121-Treasure-92602/home/112721590

One has minimal hardscape with grass & fruit trees. The other has turquoise AstroTurf? Anybody knows what that turquoise covering is?

I finally saw what you meant in the upper left corner of picture #8.  That must be tarps in preparation for something or perhaps to protect what excavation they had done from the rain at that time... I can't imagine that stays.

A shared driveway for a $4m home?  FAIL!

Back