Laguna Niguel S&S;homes

Has anyone heard anything about San Joaquine Hills? I heard it is beautiful. Guard gates two pools no Mello Roos houses sell quick only a few resales and the new ones are still selling too.......

I went to look at the Mariposa models by <a href="http://www.shapell.com/ss/">S&S;Construction</a> at <a href="http://www.goaccell.com/sanjoaquinhills/">San Joaquin Hills</a> in February. Nice looking homes, some with good views, and no mello-roos. I liked the model 3, nice design and open space feeling. The place is located in a guard gated community with association pool and facilities. Not cheap homes but considering the money you save on Mello-Roos, pretty good deal versus new construction in Irvine.

That area has Cornerstone, Mariposa, and the Summit. Cornerstone is the cheapest and outside the gates. The other 2 developments are inside. I would take a Mariposa for the right price.

Just curious.. did anyone here end up buying one of the new construction models at San Joaquin Hills? PPSF is pretty much the same as the New Woodbury Collection, but no mello-roos. IHO.. I'll bet that you've already visited this site huh? Any 3 car garage? Atleast you won't be competing with all the FCBs.

<a href="http://www.shapellhomes.com/communities/floorplans.cfm?community_id=340">http://www.shapellhomes.com/communities/floorplans.cfm?community_id=340</a>

<a href="http://www.shapellhomes.com/explore/search_handler.cfm">http://www.shapellhomes.com/explore/search_handler.cfm</a>

Shapell is one of the best privately-held builders on the west coast. I have already heard good things about their, their quality construction, strong financial position, and good customer service.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258474254]Shapell is one of the best privately-held builders on the west coast. I have already heard good things about their, their quality construction, strong financial position, and good customer service.</blockquote>

Use the search for Shapell my friend, and the BK knowledge you seek will be found.

I used to own in San Joaquin Hills. Construction there started in 1998 and they are still lots available to build new houses. In my opinion, S&S is a good builder and the homes were pretty much trouble free. Just like any community, there are pluses and minuses to living there.

Pluses: new construction and no Mello Roos, the tax rate was only 1.02% if I remember correctly, HOA was about $160/month, guard gated, 2 pools, very convenient location (close to 5 and 73 freeways), walking distance to Moulton elementary, walking distance to Laguna Niguel regional park, close to all sorts of shopping, most houses have 3 car garages.

Minuses: no real sense of community (like Ladera), people generally kept to themselves, due to its location it gets hot there in the summer (in the 90s), unless you like chain restaraunts you need to drive to get some real food, the layouts of the older houses aren't very good (small kitchens and huge formal living rooms), mostly small lots (you will definitely pay a premium for a larger lot)

Not a bad place overall. You can get short sales or foreclosures there in the 600K range now. As far as demographics...I think it was pretty equal between asian, middle eastern and white.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1258470577]Yes... there are 3-car WIDE garage plans in that Shapell neighborhood... I went there a few times a year or so ago.</blockquote>

IHO. so how do you think this area compares to Birch River in Glenwood? Laguna Niguel seems a bit too south from everything.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1258510520][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1258470577]Yes... there are 3-car WIDE garage plans in that Shapell neighborhood... I went there a few times a year or so ago.</blockquote>

IHO. so how do you think this area compares to Birch River in Glenwood? Laguna Niguel seems a bit too south from everything.</blockquote>

What's everything? I'm not trolling, just looking for a perspective from people in Irvine. I always hear that from people who prefer Irvine, but I never understood what is was exactly. I can see the Spectrum being one of the places, but that's only a 15 min ride (depending on how close you are to the freeway).

I'm biased because I grew up in the Dana Point, Laguna Niguel area, but I think it's great. Not a huge fan of Dana Hills, but I can't say I like any pubic high schools in Orange County, maybe Laguna Beach.

[quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258511918]

What's everything? I'm not trolling, just looking for a perspective from people in Irvine. I always hear that from people who prefer Irvine, but I never understood what is was exactly. I can see the Spectrum being one of the places, but that's only a 15 min ride (depending on how close you are to the freeway).

</blockquote>

For those of us in the corporate world, everything = jobs.

South OC may be the center of OC Housewife lifestyle and their related, umm, <em>career fields </em> --- but not so much if you are in a professional field. And, uh --- 15 min ride from Ladera or Laguna Niguel to the Spectrum? I'm guessing you are not talking about normal weekday commute times?

[quote author="CK" date=1258512857][quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258511918]

</blockquote>

For those of us in the corporate world, everything = jobs.

South OC may be the center of OC Housewife lifestyle and their related, umm, <em>career fields </em> --- but not so much if you are in a professional field. And, uh --- 15 min ride from Ladera or Laguna Niguel to the Spectrum? I'm guessing you are not talking about normal weekday commute times?</blockquote>

Laguna Niguel, if you're far from the freeway then 20 maybe 25. The majority of the traffic comes after the spectrum. You will hit a small amount by the Oso exit, but if you were to leave at 7:30 am, you can get to the Spectrum in 20. Heck, from Crown Valley/Golden Lantern, I can take side streets and get to the spectrum in 20 minutes. I'm not talking about Ladera, just Laguna Niguel. I'm pretty sure there are some people with legitimate careers in Laguna Niguel and Dana Point, given that they have a higher median household and per capita income (as of 2007). It's pretty naive to think of everything below Irvine as "OC Housewife lifestyle." Not everyone needs to have a 8 to 5 desk job, and those that do in LN and DP just take the toll road.

I used to live in South County and had to commute to Irvine... the traffic on the 5 north gets ridiculous at times... sometimes a dead stop. It doesn't really let up until you get past University so if you work north of the Spectrum, it's not a 20 minute commute. This was over 10 years ago but the traffic still exists as there have been times recently where I went south in the morning and just looked at that huge parking lot going northbound.

Something that people don't take into account (and this mostly comes from singles or DINKs) is that you have to take your kids to school in the morning, so even if you have to commute 30 minutes, that's an extra 30 minutes you have to have them up earlier and at school (and some schools don't have a morning daycare to accommodate you).

Going home, there is huge bottleneck from Jamboree until about the 133, but then the El Toro Y gunks up again and you're in traffic until you get down to Alicia.

And then there is that whole "it's nice to work near home" so you can a) go home for lunch b) go home if you forgot something c) go to your kids school close to your home for some random errand and/or d) go home for an appointment with a plumber, cable guy or some other repair thing. Added to that, you usually have your doctors, dentists, dry cleaners close to home so it's nice if they are close to work too.

Places like Laguna Niguel are tempting (esp w/ no Mello Roos) but the prices aren't significantly lower... so do you give up that convenience for $500-$1000 savings per month (which might not be that much if you have to pay for extra childcare because the commute prevents you from dropping/picking up the kids in time)?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1258516682]I used to live in South County and had to commute to Irvine... the traffic on the 5 north gets ridiculous at times... sometimes a dead stop. It doesn't really let up until you get past University so if you work north of the Spectrum, it's not a 20 minute commute. This was over 10 years ago but the traffic still exists as there have been times recently where I went south in the morning and just looked at that huge parking lot going northbound.

Something that people don't take into account (and this mostly comes from singles or DINKs) is that you have to take your kids to school in the morning, so even if you have to commute 30 minutes, that's an extra 30 minutes you have to have them up earlier and at school (and some schools don't have a morning daycare to accommodate you).

Going home, there is huge bottleneck from Jamboree until about the 133, but then the El Toro Y gunks up again and you're in traffic until you get down to Alicia.

And then there is that whole "it's nice to work near home" so you can a) go home for lunch b) go home if you forgot something c) go to your kids school close to your home for some random errand and/or d) go home for an appointment with a plumber, cable guy or some other repair thing. Added to that, you usually have your doctors, dentists, dry cleaners close to home so it's nice if they are close to work too.

Places like Laguna Niguel are tempting (esp w/ no Mello Roos) but the prices aren't significantly lower... so do you give up that convenience for $500-$1000 savings per month (which might not be that much if you have to pay for extra childcare because the commute prevents you from dropping/picking up the kids in time)?</blockquote>

Traffic is still pretty bad, especially driving south from 4:00- 6:30. I was doing it about two years ago. You're dead on with the lake forest/el toro traffic and the bottleneck. I was just saying the majority of the traffic is north of the spectrum and if you live in LN you can get to the spectrum in 15-20 mins.

I see your points about job location. I guess that's the answer to my question. I just don't see that as everything.

[quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258514018]It's pretty naive to think of everything below Irvine as "OC Housewife lifestyle." Not everyone needs to have a 8 to 5 desk job, and those that do in LN and DP just take the toll road.</blockquote>

True, I shouldn't stereotype. And no, not everyone needs an 8-5 job. But if you do, a reasonable commute lowers the degree of difficulty for managing your life.

I've got a few people I work with who live in LN.

The enhancements to the 133 changed things... the old 2 lane 133 was a mess. But when they expanded it, you've now got an excellent east/west road which does 65-70mph even during rush hour. Couple that with the 73, and you're set.

Biggest issue is for places like Bear Brand where you are not near the 73, nor near the 5. You spend alot of time on those side streets just to hit the freeway.

Delroy

[quote author="C Delroy Spuckler" date=1258520262]I've got a few people I work with who live in LN.

The enhancements to the 133 changed things... the old 2 lane 133 was a mess. But when they expanded it, you've now got an excellent east/west road which does 65-70mph even during rush hour. Couple that with the 73, and you're set.

Biggest issue is for places like Bear Brand where you are not near the 73, nor near the 5. You spend alot of time on those side streets just to hit the freeway.

Delroy</blockquote>

Yah, it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to toll road or freeway.

[quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258523735][quote author="C Delroy Spuckler" date=1258520262]I've got a few people I work with who live in LN.

Delroy</blockquote>

Yah, it takes about 7-10 minutes to get to toll road or freeway.</blockquote>

Not from Cornerstone, Mariposa, and the Summit. It's a hop, skip and jump to the toll road and you can catch the 5 fwy on Oso Pkwy which is about 3 to 5 minutes away.

Back