New Homes in Cypress Village?

The Motor Court Company

Not sure if TIC is done with building those apartments in CV; but it looks like they are planning to build 3 new homes neighborhoods:http://www.irvinequickrecords.com/S...odaqc55jkyqap2v/1379053711282012123407929.PDF

1. 141 detached condos, 1840~1978 sqft, all 3 BR + 2.5 BA

2. 84 SFRs with driveway,wide and shallow lot shape, 2200~2500 sqft.
This is the most interesting one. TIC is introducing the concept of..........wait for it......."California Garage"??! according to TIC, California Garage is
"this room can be built according to a variety of owner-specified options: extra
garage space with additional roll-up door, shop area, separated storage room, separated
office space, separated gym space, separated play area, or a separated dog wash area."
I guess with wide and shallow lots, the space behind the standard 2 car garage is too small or awkward for regular living area so they just make it into extra storage space. At least they are coming up with something different...

3.  104 SFRs with motor court setup but with driveways, 2200~2600 sqft

test mentioned the California Garage. That actually interests me because I like that extra space as flex spot for either storage, work area or even exercise equipment.

Your link is broken... so I guess I can go find it myself... but I like that Cypress Village is closer to the freeway and next to shopping unlike Portola Springs... and since my kids will be in middle school soon... that's also another plus.

link fixed. Cypress Village looks like it has more "open space" compared to other villages. But that of course is offset by the 1000+ apartments...

irvinehomeowner said:
test mentioned the California Garage. That actually interests me because I like that extra space as flex spot for either storage, work area or even exercise equipment.

Your link is broken... so I guess I can go find it myself... but I like that Cypress Village is closer to the freeway and next to shopping unlike Portola Springs... and since my kids will be in middle school soon... that's also another plus.

irvinehomeowner said:
test mentioned the California Garage. That actually interests me because I like that extra space as flex spot for either storage, work area or even exercise equipment eating area.

fixed this for ya brother!!

California Garage! Wtf! Just put a damn 3 story cube over the entire lot with 3.5 foot set backs and be done with it. More than enough yard space for the trash cans, small dogs, and skinny kids LOL.

I like the idea of the California Garage... instead of 3CWG... it's 2CDG (2-car deep garage).

There was another interesting paragraph in that document as they talk about a "new" type of motorcourt product:
Motorcourt (00549068-PMP)

The need for alternative side and rear yard setbacks in this neighborhood is to allow for a relatively new type of housing product. While the motorcourt design is not new, the idea of selling this housing type as a simple fee product, as opposed to condominium unit, is a
relatively new concept in the City. A similar concept was recently reviewed and approved through the Garden Hill master plan in Planning Area 6, which also required alternative setback standards. Based on the design of four individually owned lots clustered around a
privately shared motorcourt, the standard setbacks of streetside, side, and rear do not easily correspond to the proposed lot lines as would either a typical single-family lot or a multi-unit condominium lot. In other words, the extension of the motorcourt into these
individually owned lots creates the need for tailoring the setbacks to this specific producttype, as opposed to trying to force these atypical lots into typical setbacks. In addition, the inclusion of deep driveways (18 feet in length) has a significant effect on the overall floor
plan. With these driveways, the garage must be recessed further into the floor plan which results in an extension of the building footprint towards the rear of the units. To a significant extent, the presence of the full length driveway triggers the need for the reduced rear yard setback. However, without those driveways, these units would be deficient in providing required uncovered resident parking spaces.
This sounds like Montecito... SFR motorcourt with driveways. I guess they are listening when it comes to what people are asking for... the driveway is saved from extinction!

i like how TIC makes it sound as if has no other choice but eat into the rear yard because of the driveway to meet the parking space requirements. Damn bastards - build less homes per acre!!!

Here are some of the documents / lot diagrams regarding the requested setback variance for the California Garage and Super California Rooms:

1zeegqd.jpg

2hnqakw.jpg

23vewrb.jpg

Here is motor court setback summary (notice the variance requests):

974ff7.jpg

I actually wouldn't mind using that for storage space since I'll probably never be able to afford a 3CG in Irvine.  Storage space is at a premium in these little cookie cutters... I'd build some nice cabinets and a workbench in that California Garage.  The dog will have to wash himself and I'll use the gym, thank you very much. 

extra storage space in the garage - California Garage
covered patio in the tiny backyard - California Room
larger California Room - Super California Room (TIC marketing people must have idolized dragon ball Z when they grow up)

Next?
Super California Garage? California Driveway? California Porch? California Deck? California Tech Space? California Nook? California Great Room? California Closet? California Pantry?

iacrenter said:
California Garage! Wtf! Just put a damn 3 story cube over the entire lot with 3.5 foot set backs and be done with it. More than enough yard space for the trash cans, small dogs, and skinny kids LOL.
Sure sounds like where things are going.

so will these be long narrow streets or motorcourt loaders? with the shallow lot, how far forward will these be towards the street? I'd have to imagine that the door opens to the sidewalk...

qwerty said:
California backyard = 3 foot setback.

That's the problem. TIC has been trending toward smaller lots/higher density for quite some time. I'm happy TIC is offering more products with driveways and utility/interior space options (i.e. California <fill in name>) but it is ridiculous when you place it on an even smaller lot. What used to be the sideyard setback standard (5') is the new backyard setback standard. The City of Irvine is complicit with this trend, by continuing to grant setback variances to TIC. I'm hoping Five Point Communities is listening and offers a better product to consumers.

my new backyard will have a 25 foot setback at the deepest point, but my unborn children will grow up on a toxic marine base  :)

The "California Garage" is an interesting concept. I know people who watch TV in their garage. I even know a family who uses their garage as a bedroom. Why not make it official.

qwerty said:
my new backyard will have a 25 foot setback at the deepest point, but my unborn children will grow a third arm on a toxic marine base  :)
I can't really say I fixed that... because it's kind of mean. I hope you know I'm joking.

Back