[IHB] This Old House, or Brand New Beginnings

I would pick SFR 16 Bragg over detached condo 88 Twin Gales without any doubt as 16 Bragg is at the end of a big cul-de-sac street and cost almost $600 less per month. You also need to consider land value. In 10 years, 88 Twin Gales will become just another dated condo and lose value fast as there is not much land value built-in. 16 Bragg, as a SFR with large lot will hold value much better.

I would pick the older single story home without question.  Just look at those windows next of your next door neighbor in the condo.  That's awful.

P814971_2_3.jpg

without a question the older home. In 10 more years the new home smell will be gone and there will be no more appeal to the house size and value are the determining factor for future pricing as single story home will be nearly extinct.

If you are Chinese or Indian then the yard size does not matter. As the representative of the most stylish population in America the dated elevation is unforgivable. The trendier style always win. It is not about how well the house live but how rich the house looks.

IHS - what about repairs with such an old home? 

you are right, trendier style does win with many asian buyers.  is there a way to make the old house look nicer and newer? 

For those in favor of old house: It is a nice house, pool and backyard are a plus, but what about the neighborhood? What if someone paints the house in colors that stand out. There is a house in West Irvine.. it's somewhere before you turn to Bowie place. I would hate to see that property every day :) Are there any mandates to retain the exterior elevation, and paint palette for SFRs? Detached condos are good for those who don't want to see anything out of ordinary in the beigerhood. But yeah, no backyard to speak of.

I don't know if that is possible. A newer SFR is at least 30% higher than the older home. I still think there is validity to compare homes of similar price point.

Cubic Zirconia said:
For those in favor of old house: It is a nice house, pool and backyard are a plus, but what about the neighborhood? What if someone paints the house in colors that stand out. There is a house in West Irvine.. it's somewhere before you turn to Bowie place. I would hate to see that property every day :) Are there any mandates to retain the exterior elevation, and paint palette for SFRs? Detached condos are good for those who don't want to see anything out of ordinary in the beigerhood. But yeah, no backyard to speak of.

One of the reasons why I prefer the older home is that I wouldn't have to see other homes when I look out the window.  Honestly, when driving down the street I don't pay much attention to what the other houses look like.  I certainly wouldn't care what color a house across the street was while I was enjoying my quiet, private back yard on a peaceful Sunday afternoon.

Would you give that up everyday with no yard, privacy, driveway, space and room count as long you feel living in Irvine is worth all of the above sacrifices and the peaceful Sunday afternoon you described on your property will never exist?

locolocal said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

One of the reasons why I prefer the older home is that I wouldn't have to see other homes when I look out the window.  Honestly, when driving down the street I don't pay much attention to what the other houses look like.  I certainly wouldn't care what color a house across the street was while I was enjoying my quiet, private back yard on a peaceful Sunday afternoon.

we just went to go see 16 bragg, they did a pretty good job with it, pretty much turnkey, they should have put in new closet doors. the main drawback is the master does not have a walk in closet and the master bath is pretty small - that was the deal breaker for the wife. the backyard is nice and private. the listing description is pretty accurate, everything was redone. 730K seems on the high side, but the inside is all brand new. the crappy thing about a culdesac is that visitors seem to think they can just park anywhere on the culdesac, when we went to go see it there was a big ass lifted truck parked kind of in front of the neighbors car, essentially parking towards the middle of the culdesac.

if they bought this for 550K, the remodel had to be at least 50K? that puts it at 600K, selling cost at 6% will be around 35-40K, lets use 35K, that puts them at 635K, im guessing this goes for 680-700K.

Back