Insulation upgrade

I don't have first hand experience with this, but my brother rents in Orchard Hills Reserve (in Vivo, an Irvine Pacific home), and he always complains about how poorly done the insulation is in the home and is fairly certain the owner did NOT do the upgrade.

Hopefully other owners will chime in.

We got insulation upgrade and it does help.  We have hollow doors and I regret not getting solid doors.  Solid doors will also help a lot with noise containment. 

Another upgrade I plan to do in the next home is garage floor coating and whole house indoor painting.  We got that done after moving in and the quality is just not the same as Irvine Pacific's vendor for garage floor coating.  We got all the rooms painted after we moved in and I felt it would have been better just letting IP do that since the cost was very similar and painting before flooring is done using sprayers is much better.

We decided to do the insulation upgrade (basically insulation in interior walls + in the second story floor) and I think it was worth it. Even more now that we live in a house that doesn't have it and the difference is noticeable. There is more sound passing from one room to another and it is made worst by having hardwood floor everywhere.

I would also check that the builder is installing insulation in the garage outside walls as it does not seem to always be the case and it makes a big difference in summer. The insulation in the garage door is also a good idea but I'm not sure it's an option as in most case the builder only offers one type of garage door. There are DIY insulation kits that are not too difficult to install.

The builder states that the insulation is more for sound proofing rather than for warmth.  I was not aware.  I thought it would keep you warmer during winter and cooler during summer times.  I do not really see a benefit to add insulation to the garage do you?

we have the insulation upgrade and solid doors, i have nothing to compare it to, so i guess it works...

old condo garage took in alot of heat with direct sunlight with no shade/shadow of nearby buildings, so extra insulation would've been nice.  also went to home depot and added some insulating panels (stick on) which helps

We bought the insulation upgrade from the builder. My neighbor didn't. I been inside his house enough times to conclude that it makes no noticeable difference when it comes to sound proofing.

One difference is we put in wood flooring on both floors, but my neighbor has mostly carpet.

I did an insulation upgrade from the builder as well. They let us stomp around the model home which had the upgrade as well as an adjacent identical model used as their office space that did not have the upgrade and that?s what sold me. They even sent photos just before they put up drywall as proof of installation.

So kenkoko says no difference and PSbuyer says it makes a difference.  Anyone do garage say its worth it?  Couple hundred more.

Back