Author Topic: What car wash products do you use?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline best_potsticker_in_town

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 89
Re: What car wash products do you use?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 09:08:52 AM »
I used to go for the ONR route.. my new route?

-Greenworks pressure washer around 1600 PSI (around $80 ish) came with a foam canon attachment
-Meguiars gold class car soap .. find one without wax, lots of good brands

around 6-7 pm when the sun is setting, pressure wash the car down with water first... foam it up, let it sit...wash it down, then use a electric leaf blower .. gets rid of like 80% of the water, then just tap dry with a nice waffle towel.. probably 20 mins to complete

ONR was convenient but i found it tough to get rid of like debris/dust/bugs... pressure washer is the way to go.. leaves a perfect swirl free finish when done right

I have a small spray bottle with ONR in it and pre-spray any spots on the panels I'm working. Pre-spraying helps the ONR soak into the grime and lift it up. When you wipe it down with the ONR soaked microfiber or big red sponge, it'll all wipe away easily.
Use my referral link to receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles with the purchase and delivery of a new Tesla car, or earn a $100 award after system activation by purchasing or subscribing to solar panels:

https://ts.la/jonathan28387

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 112
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »
Make sure you use 2 bucket method to wash!

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 105
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
Don't you guys have water softeners?  Wouldn't that be easier...and it'd help our with hard water in the house.

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
Make sure you use 2 bucket method to wash!

For sure! 2 bucket is the way to go.

Don't you guys have water softeners?  Wouldn't that be easier...and it'd help our with hard water in the house.

I have one but oddly enough, my hose bibs aren't soft water. I fill my 2 buckets with soft water from inside the house to minimize spotting.
Use my referral link to receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles with the purchase and delivery of a new Tesla car, or earn a $100 award after system activation by purchasing or subscribing to solar panels:

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 221
  • -Received: 239
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
I do have a water softener.  A water softener just transfers the minerals.  It takes the calcium/magnesium out and replaces with sodium (or potassium depending on your softener). 

Hose bibs are often tied to irrigation lines, which you want as tap water.  Plants don't really like the sodium in softened water.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 105
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
No one asked for a soft water hose tap in the garage?  Come on!  Pretty sure you can get someone to add one, may not look as pretty as if it was installed when the softener was put in at the main waterline, but hey it's in the garage corner and its convenient if you wash your car a lot.

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »
I saw that my local Costco is selling a Husqvarna gas pressure washer with a $50 off coupon, bringing it down to $300 + tax.  Don't know anything about the quality, but I did notice it had a plastic carburetor bowl.  But hey, it's Costco!

Edit:  This one:  https://www.costco.com/husqvarna-3100-psi--2.5-gpm-gas-pressure-washer.product.100540389.html

Offline SoclosetoIrvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 81
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2020, 12:25:31 AM »
I saw that my local Costco is selling a Husqvarna gas pressure washer with a $50 off coupon, bringing it down to $300 + tax.  Don't know anything about the quality, but I did notice it had a plastic carburetor bowl.  But hey, it's Costco!

Edit:  This one:  https://www.costco.com/husqvarna-3100-psi--2.5-gpm-gas-pressure-washer.product.100540389.html

That 3100 psi might be too high for a car wash. Mine for reference is only 1600-1700

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2020, 02:29:05 AM »

That 3100 psi might be too high for a car wash. Mine for reference is only 1600-1700

Nonsense.  I've been using 3000+ PSI on my cars for 15 years.  I probably wouldn't shoot a narrow jet at the paint from point blank, but a 25 degree fan from a foot away or more works great.  That's why they come with different nozzles.

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 447
  • -Received: 159
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
As it relates to power washers...I have a WORX cordless: https://www.worx.com/20v-hydroshot-portable-power-cleaners-wg625.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgLSX_LeE6wIVURh9Ch0p6QtwEAQYASABEgI1VvD_BwE

I bought it back when I was living in a condo and didn't have easy access to a hose bib. Battery powered and fill out a 5 gallon bucket with water and use that. The psi is lower, but it does the job. On the occasions I don't do ONR, I'll use this.

LOL, serious?!? I also got the Hydroshot and I tried it with distilled water and was hoping I didn't have to dry it by hand but was disappointed in how much dirt still got left on the car and it looked bad when it dried (and water everywhere). So I went back to the ONR.

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 447
  • -Received: 159
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
I have a small spray bottle with ONR in it and pre-spray any spots on the panels I'm working. Pre-spraying helps the ONR soak into the grime and lift it up. When you wipe it down with the ONR soaked microfiber or big red sponge, it'll all wipe away easily.

Yup! I keep a small spray bottle of ONR in the trunk with a couple of microfiber towels. I find it useful for taking care of things like bird poop, etc when I'm in between washes.

Offline momopi

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 740
  • -Received: 422
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
For those who use big red sponge, the rag company now has a more ergonomic black sponge competing product:

https://www.theragcompany.com/ultra-black-sponge/

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 112
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
For those who use big red sponge, the rag company now has a more ergonomic black sponge competing product:

https://www.theragcompany.com/ultra-black-sponge/

I cannot recommend BRS. It is so overprice and such a high margin item. It isn't any more effective than the alternative. It's just foam with some slits. All marketing.

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »
I use the BRS. I would give it a 7 out of 10. The good - saves me from washing 3 or 4 microfibers after the wash. The bad - as Cares said, it doesn't perform that much better than a regular sponge. The slits do help with picking up dirt though.

Not a fan of the black sponge. At least with Red, I can see the dirt being collected and know when rinse in the bucket.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal