Help with Pre-Wired Ethernet Setup in Irvine Pacific Home?

jcm91ca

I live in an Irvine Pacific newly built home. I can't figure out how our pre-wired Ethernet internet connection works for the life of me.

Our internet modem is downstairs, and our upstairs closet where the connection switches sit are upstairs in a closet. I would like to hardwire the modem so I can plug in my computer in the home office.

I create a video to describe the process here -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZjCYvWuao

Equipment being used:
Motorola Surfboard SB6141 - COX
Netgear Nighthawk Wireless Router
Legrand TM1045 Telephone Input module

Any advice or tips?

Attachments

• IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
I see you have cable going downstairs and then route to router switch, if you run a ethernet cable from one of the router port to the downstairs ethernet port, next go locate the ethernet port marked in the closet that is downstairs use a switch and connect all ethernet cables to different rooms you will have connectivity. I use the same setup.

you're going to have to locate your modem/router in the closet and then plug the cat 5 runs from the rest of your house into the router

if you want to keep your current setup with the modem/router in the other room, you may be able to put an ethernet switch in the closet, plug the ethernet run from the room your modem/router is located into the switch in the closet, and then plug the rest of the house into the switch.

Hmmm... I think I get what you're saying, that I can basically feed the house internet by plugging into the cat5e outlet downstairs, and it should feed back into the closet upstairs which I then distribute into each of the the rooms. The time consuming issue is figuring out which ethernet cable goes where. We have two outlets in each room, cat5e and cat5e+

The other solution is relocating my modem from downstairs to upstairs and inside the closet? This would require me to get the coax feed into the closet?

I just bought a 10 port switch and plugged everything into it and stored it away in my closet.

Wish they made server closets with good ventilation in the new homes, NAS, NVR, ports, switches, routers, etc and possibly AV equipment can all be in one spot...I need to expand again, my 8 port upstairs is full and the 4 port downstairs where my Uverse gateway router is also full...I got to clean up my wiring, someday when I'm really bored.

Back