Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 141072 times)

Offline Happiness

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 445
  • -Received: 397
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
Corona dark beer with coronavirus pairs well together.

Anytime when fears are projected, I think it’s less about providing information than to profits.

:)

“2019 novel coronavirus” probably not good for profits at Novel Park.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 728
  • -Received: 415
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
Fox News: Do surgical masks protect against coronavirus?

But the question remains: Do surgical masks really work?
“Surgical masks will not prevent your acquiring diseases,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University, and the medical director of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, to Fox News.

Rather, he explained, surgical masks are typically used by surgeons to protect their patients from their mouth-borne germs —  but “those masks don't work to prevent inhaling diseases,” said Schaffner.

The masks, which cover the nose and mouth, are often made from a flimsy material and aren’t fitted to the face. In other words, spaces and gaps can form around the cheeks and edges of the mouth, making it easy for air to move in and out.

A more protective mask, known as an N-95 respirator, may be more effective, said Schaffner.  But, he noted, a non-medical professional using this mask is likely not using it correctly, doing little to prevent the spread of illness or inhaling a disease.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/do-surgical-masks-protect-against-coronavirus

Note that in hospitals where staff treats infected patients, they are in protective coverall/suit with mask, glove, and goggles.

There are many web sites and articles on the effectiveness of surgical and N95 masks.  In short it's not a perfect solution, but helps somewhat.  If you're going to order the mask, Grainger and MSC Industrial will have bigger selection than Home Depot.

https://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=n95%20respirators&suggestConfigId=6&searchBar=true

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchterm=N95&hdrsrh=true

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:52:46 AM by momopi »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 409
  • -Received: 666
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
I guess you don’t have to look too far for people wearing masks. I just saw multiple people wearing masks at a big retail store. (One customer in the store and another customer leaving the store in the parking lot)  :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:43:20 PM by eyephone »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
I just went to a store at the district and the person told me that they our out of masks. (Looks like the demand is high)
* I don’t know if it’s true or not.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:01:41 PM by eyephone »

Offline Dresden215

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 44

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 181
  • -Received: 225
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »
So anyone knows how the disease first broke out? Is it from animals?

Offline paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 46
  • -Received: 101
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »

Have you seen the recent videos on Twitter of restaurants serving up bat and live mice in China?  I'm guessing that might be the first place to look. 
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »

Have you seen the recent videos on Twitter of restaurants serving up bat and live mice in China?  I'm guessing that might be the first place to look.

So you happen to have a link?

Offline mads

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 12
  • -Received: 11
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:28 PM »
First, for perspective, "CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths from flu". Get your flu shots, people.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
The genome of the coronavirus is reported to be 80-90% identical to the one found in bats.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/24/dna-sleuths-read-coronavirus-genome-tracing-origins-and-mutations/
Its also reported now that the infection may have started elsewhere and then spread through the wet market.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/wuhan-seafood-market-may-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »

I found the video that you were talking about. (Warning viewer discretion advised)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10813308/disgusting-moment-chinese-man-dips-still-wriggling-baby-mice-in-sauce-before-eating-them-alive/

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2631
  • -Received: 1709
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 10:47:31 PM »
The Chinese need to stop eating all these wild animals and shit that cause this stuff. All of these damn diseases always seem to start in China.

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 551
  • -Received: 1044
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 07:21:41 AM »
The Chinese need to stop eating all these wild animals and shit that cause this stuff. All of these damn diseases always seem to start in China.

Same reason why certain Hollywood zombie movie depicted China as the ground zero of zombie apocalypse. 

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 819
  • -Received: 1064
  • 3 John, Ch 1 V 2
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 08:13:00 AM »
Yes .... Every new virus should be monitored.

Yes .... The Wuhan Coronavirus may be significant.

Yes.... Some perspective is needed to frame the significance of this outbreak:

As noted earlier

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Wuhan Coronavirus - 150-1,000 dead
Current influenza strain - 8,000 approx dead.

So, yeah it's scary but seems more of a media story than a medical one.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:48:30 PM by Soylent Green Is People »

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 728
  • -Received: 415
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »

Because previous outbreaks were linked to bats -- SARS-CoV to Horseshoe bats in Yunnan and MERS-Cov to Egyptian tomb bats (also infecting camels) in ME and Africa, the assumption is that the current outbreak also originated from bats (and possibly snakes that ate the bats).

However, because the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market in Wuhan had already been closed, cleared and disinfected since Jan 1st, there's nothing left to sample/test.  It's suspected that the outbreak actually started in Nov 2019 from elsewhere before spreading to the Seafood market.

Right now there is simply way too much rumors and disinformation being spread on the internet.  It will take months before they sort this out.  In the mean time, be prepared for scenario where you may have to stay home.  Stock up on food, water, medicine, and necessities.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 09:38:23 AM »

Right now there is simply way too much rumors and disinformation being spread on the internet.  It will take months before they sort this out.  In the mean time, be prepared for scenario where you may have to stay home.  Stock up on food, water, medicine, and necessities.

I dont think there is disinformation going on TI. It seems to me that people are simply concerned. Its a friendly conversation about protective gear, exotic animals for sale, and interesting consumption habits.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal