Author Topic: Looking for high end landscape/pool contractor  (Read 1946 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 613
Re: Looking for high end landscape/pool contractor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »
Is it really worth to have a pool though? I personally would rather just build an additional studio or a man cave or something if there was enough space in our yard. I heard those who have a pool rarely use it and it's painful to maintain. Thoughts?

Worth is very hard to define. If we are talking just re-sale value, I think a properly done pool can add value especially for higher end homes.

In terms of use, I do use the spa more than the pool. But the pool and the water feature are eye candy even if you do not use it.

Salt water pools w/ pebble tec are becoming more of a trend. They are a lot easier to maintain than your traditional pools w/ white plaster.

Costs about $100 a month to hire pool maintenance company.

Or do nothing at all. Straight up dirt backyard. Try not to laugh there are properties that have sold with out any work or minimal work. (Real story)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:53:07 PM by eyephone »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »
Maybe the no work yard is not for everybody. I mean I have an okay backyard. I get compliments here and there, but I’m like whatever’s about it.

Make sure you research the contractor. We all heard the stories on TI when the contractor gets the money and leave, does a crappy job, doesn’t complete the project, etc.

I know someone that went like really cheap. Let’s ‘s just say the pavers are not aligned properly and not leveled.
I know another person that the sprinklers doesn’t work properly. (the contractor doesn’t pick up the phone)

Offline sealionbeast

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
Is it really worth to have a pool though? I personally would rather just build an additional studio or a man cave or something if there was enough space in our yard. I heard those who have a pool rarely use it and it's painful to maintain. Thoughts?

It all depends. But in most cases may not be part of the MAX ROI equation. However, if you have a multimillion dollar home it may be expected to have a pool.

For me it's not about ROI, it's about having a backyard where I want to spend time and my son and his friends can come over hang out, swim, and have fun.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 143
  • -Received: 167
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »

It all depends. But in most cases may not be part of the MAX ROI equation. However, if you have a multimillion dollar home it may be expected to have a pool.

For me it's not about ROI, it's about having a backyard where I want to spend time and my son and his friends can come over hang out, swim, and have fun.

Whatever works for you and your family. We're fine with the community pool for now, but I guess if we had a huge yard, we might also want to consider. Good luck!

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2165
  • -Received: 1688
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »

+1 Life is not all about ROI, at least not tangible ROI.  I have a pool and will remodel it and add a spa along with redoing my landscaping in the front and back yard.  I'll be lucky to probably get 50 cent on the dollar but that's fine because it'll be enjoy the home for many years.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline irvine buyer

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 32
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »
Maybe the no work yard is not for everybody. I mean I have an okay backyard. I get compliments here and there, but I’m like whatever’s about it.

Make sure you research the contractor. We all heard the stories on TI when the contractor gets the money and leave, does a crappy job, doesn’t complete the project, etc.

I know someone that went like really cheap. Let’s ‘s just say the pavers are not aligned properly and not leveled.
I know another person that the sprinklers doesn’t work properly. (the contractor doesn’t pick up the phone)

Another reason to use a landscape architect.  The contractors they recommend look for repeat business from these architects so they will stand behind their work when the architect gets involved.  We were having issues with our contractor not following the specs in the plans (cutting corners??) and Studio H (our architect) stepped in and the contractor redid the work.  Saved me the hassle of arguing with the contractor.  In addition, for those not construction savvy, the architect will inspect the work done.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »

As long as you are aware of the ROI and additional costs (maintenance, water, electricity, chemicals, etc..)

Offline sealionbeast

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »

As long as you are aware of the ROI and additional costs (maintenance, water, electricity, chemicals, etc..)

I am aware of the additional costs and not concerned.

Offline sealionbeast

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »

Another reason to use a landscape architect.  The contractors they recommend look for repeat business from these architects so they will stand behind their work when the architect gets involved.  We were having issues with our contractor not following the specs in the plans (cutting corners??) and Studio H (our architect) stepped in and the contractor redid the work.  Saved me the hassle of arguing with the contractor.  In addition, for those not construction savvy, the architect will inspect the work done.

How did you like Studio H?  I've heard good things.

Offline irvine buyer

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 02:42:30 AM »
I would recommend Studio H.

Offline Sensational1

• Thanks
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
https://www.landcreativeinc.com/

This is the company that does most of the backyards for Toll Brothers including the model units at Alta Vista.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2165
  • -Received: 1688
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
I would recommend Studio H.

Is Studio H just a landscape architect or are they also a landscaper as well?  I've decided that I'm going to with a landscape architect so I can compare apples to apples when it comes to contractor bids.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline irvine buyer

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
When I used them four years ago, Studio H was strictly a landscape architect.  I'm not aware that they've added a contracting side to the business.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 74
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »
When I used them four years ago, Studio H was strictly a landscape architect.  I'm not aware that they've added a contracting side to the business.

Don't they have a recommended list of contractors that they use too?  I would assume if Studio H is giving business to those contractors, they'd want to do a great job and Studio H would step in if there were issues reported.

Offline Slevinkelevra

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 2
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 02:28:32 AM »
I’ve been following Danny Wang Design on instagram.  I have no idea to his pricing but he appears to be a start to finish contractor with design and construction services.  Some of his designs are fantastic and does a lot of work in Irvine.  Take a look.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts