Author Topic: iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max  (Read 1916 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2010
  • -Received: 3474
  • 3CWG
Re: iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
Are you dead set on the iPhone? The OnePlus 6T has top of the line specs but only $580 or so. They'll take most trade ins for $300 credit bringing the phone down to $280! Only on T-Mobile though.

Yeah. Apple handcuffs.

I dislike Macs but their phone ecosystem is great.

IHO if you do decide to upgrade, I will buy your 6plus. I ask for it first.

I don’t have the Plus. That’s why I’m looking for either a Plus or the XR.

I always say I’m gonna sell my old phones and now I have like a 5 and a 4 in a box losing value every day.  :(
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 161
  • -Received: 192
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 06:21:04 AM »
Are you dead set on the iPhone? The OnePlus 6T has top of the line specs but only $580 or so. They'll take most trade ins for $300 credit bringing the phone down to $280! Only on T-Mobile though.

Yeah. Apple handcuffs.

I dislike Macs but their phone ecosystem is great.

IHO if you do decide to upgrade, I will buy your 6plus. I ask for it first.

I don’t have the Plus. That’s why I’m looking for either a Plus or the XR.

I always say I’m gonna sell my old phones and now I have like a 5 and a 4 in a box losing value every day.  :(

FWIW — I just upgraded to the Xs max.  The screen and display is like nothing you have seen before . Given the amount of time we spend on our phones nowadays , it’s totallyworth it in my opinion. And it does not “feel” that bulky in your pocket given the profile and softer edges .

It has effectively replaced my  Older ipad  . Then the only other device I have is the large screen pc for any office work related items etc.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
@fortune11:

Yeah, while I would love to get an OLED screen, I just can’t justify spending that much on a phone.

The other reason I am leaning XR is the battery life is supposed to be the best of all the models from 6 to XS Max.
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 354
  • -Received: 299
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
@fortune11:

Yeah, while I would love to get an OLED screen, I just can’t justify spending that much on a phone.

The other reason I am leaning XR is the battery life is supposed to be the best of all the models from 6 to XS Max.

$250 amortized over 3 years is just 7 bucks a month. Power banks are small and cheap and will keep you going for a long time.

I wouldn't get the XR because for me, the dual lens camera allows me to travel w/o my dslr (and it's heavy weight around my neck). Portrait mode works great for people and pets and the telephoto lens allows me to zoom in without excessivve pixelation. In other words, does pretty much what most people use dslrs for.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2412
  • -Received: 1520
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
I can’t get the Max, I have enough bulk near my pockets already :-)

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 27
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »

Are you stuffing your pants with hot dogs again?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Kings

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 178
  • -Received: 195
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUjBn5ZtzTc

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
$250 amortized over 3 years is just 7 bucks a month. Power banks are small and cheap and will keep you going for a long time.

This is a good point and now I feel like CV who doesn't mind increasing MRs but won't pay an extra $19 for Amazon Prime. :)

I think the sticking point here is telling Mrs. IHO that I'm spending $1149 on an XS (the $999 one only has 64GB) instead of $799 on almost the same phone (XR). She won't see $350 over 3 years... she will just see $350. :)
I wouldn't get the XR because for me, the dual lens camera allows me to travel w/o my dslr (and it's heavy weight around my neck). Portrait mode works great for people and pets and the telephoto lens allows me to zoom in without excessivve pixelation. In other words, does pretty much what most people use dslrs for.
I think that's the difference. I don't really take photos or care about their quality. If I did, I would definitely get an 8 Plus or the XS/XS Max.

Maybe I should just get the $999 XS but 64GB seems like it will get used up fast (already at about 55GB on my 6S).
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 216
  • -Received: 157
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
Once you go plus go never go back. Now the plus seem just right to me.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
Went to the Apple store over the weekend... I actually prefer the size of the XS over the XR (just slightly smaller).

The big screen is nice... but I kept pressing the bottom of the phone trying to close the apps. :)
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 94
  • -Received: 326
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
Here i sit with my old 6.  Not even a 6s.  Yet about the only thing interesting in the upgrade is the camera.  Otherwise it does everythng i ask.  The camera, well it takes okay photos.  I mean, do  I really look that rough on Sunday morning in the crowd before Disneyland lets us thru the gate and i snap a selfie?  Yes, yes i do.  So the better camera to capture that in beyond 4K definition and then built in photoshop to magazine cover it is a nice enhancement.

But that's about it.  Is not recognizing myself in my facebook feed worth $1149?

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2412
  • -Received: 1520
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
Its not about what apple can do for you!!! It’s about what your money can do for apple! Just buy it already!!!! :-)

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 546
  • -Received: 870
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
We have reached Peak Tech - when there is no compelling reason to upgrade, only to replace.

Samsung released the $1,000 Note 9...what...6 weeks ago. This Black Friday after a $300 in store credit, we're sub $700, perhaps with "free" Samsung accessories.

I'd expect the iPhones to discount in December, but really drop around Feb 1.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 600
  • -Received: 335
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »

Apple products like iPhone's are basically luxury items that doesn't retain value well, like Ferragamo bags and Maserati cars.  Very nice style and craftsmanship, but resale value crashes faster than Lexus ES 350's.  If you see something you like and you're patient, wait a bit and buy it used at deep discount.

I still use my Canon Rebel XT (8MP) DSLR with 50mm lens.  Compact and relatively lightweight.  I bought it used ~10 years ago from a photography instructor and it still works great.  The original battery finally died and I recently bought new batteries for it.

Offline inv0ke-epipen

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 55
  • -Received: 46
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »

Apple products like iPhone's are basically luxury items that doesn't retain value well, like Ferragamo bags and Maserati cars.  Very nice style and craftsmanship, but resale value crashes faster than Lexus ES 350's.  If you see something you like and you're patient, wait a bit and buy it used at deep discount.

I still use my Canon Rebel XT (8MP) DSLR with 50mm lens.  Compact and relatively lightweight.  I bought it used ~10 years ago from a photography instructor and it still works great.  The original battery finally died and I recently bought new batteries for it.

Apple products retain value way better than competitors. 4 year old iPhone 6 going for 150-200 while galaxy s4 and similar 4 year old androids are 100 max.

Same trend with Apple computers, the prices on 4-5. Year old Mac laptops are nuts.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts