Author Topic: John McCain: Myth vs. Reality  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 565
  • -Received: 469
Re: John McCain: Myth vs. Reality
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
Even though Bush Sr. was as establishment as establishment gets, I still view him favorably and view his presidency as being, mostly, a success.  His biggest mistake was breaking his "no new taxes" pledge and pissing off Republicans to the point of giving Ross Perot a foothold as a 3rd party candidate.  Many other moderate (R)'s and independents simply jumped ship and voted for Clinton, viewing him as an acceptable alternative who was more in touch with average people. 

However one remembers Bush Sr. it's undeniable that he tried to carry himself with dignity and class.  The final memory of John McCain will be his funeral devoted to Trump bashing, while the final memory of Bush will be something far more positive.

Bush family wants funeral that avoids anti-Trump sentiment: report
The Bush family has taken great care to assure that services being held to honor the life and legacy of former President George H.W. Bush do not become a political platform for anti-Trump swipes.

Such rhetoric was prominent in services for the late Sen. John McCain three months ago.

But with the Bush family patriarch's casket lying in State at the U.S. Capitol this week ahead of Wednesday services in Washington, efforts have been made to avoid a politicized funeral. The family already contacted the White House this past summer saying that President Trump would be welcome at H.W. Bush’s services -- and assured Trump that the focus would be on the 41st U.S. president’s life rather than their disagreements, The Washington Post reported, citing a former administration official.

"This will be about the celebration of the noble public service that George H.W. Bush gave. It’s not going to be about anybody else. I don’t think it’s going to be about Trump," a former Bush associate told Politico.

While Trump and the Bush family have had their differences, the White House has sought to honor the 41st president's legacy. Trump and first lady Melania Trump paid their respects at the Capitol Monday night.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bush-family-wont-focus-on-disagreements-with-trump-former-bush-sr-staffer-says-report

I don't think either approach is "wrong".  Bush Sr. has been away from the spotlight for a long time while McCain was a sitting Senator before his cancer diagnosis.  Bush could be more reconcilatory while McCain may have considered it his patriotic duty to take Trump down.

Question is why you don't have the same expectations for Trump?

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 475
  • -Received: 310
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »

Trump hasn't died yet.  I assume his funeral will be the greatest of any former President though.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »

Trump hasn't died yet.  I assume his funeral will be the greatest of any former President though.

He cannot show respect, dignity, and class before he dies?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 287
  • -Received: 556
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
I was waiting for Liar to leave an unfavorable comment for  George HW Bush. It doesn’t surprise me that his comments comes during the nation mourning of President 41.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »

Trump was elected to be a fighter.  He's simply carrying out the mandate he was given by the American people.  The establishment hadn't been doing their job, so he was sent in to clean house and annoy them for four years.

He wouldn't have been a good President in 1989 when we needed somebody to manage the downfall of Communism.  Bush played that role exceptionally well and his conciliatory tone was exactly what was needed at the time.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I was waiting for Liar to leave an unfavorable comment for  George HW Bush. It doesn’t surprise me that his comments comes during the nation mourning of President 41.

Fail

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 216
  • -Received: 157
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »

WTF, the greatest of cons and lies?

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »

Trump was elected to be a fighter.  He's simply carrying out the mandate he was given by the American people.  The establishment hadn't been doing their job, so he was sent in to clean house and annoy them for four years.

He wouldn't have been a good President in 1989 when we needed somebody to manage the downfall of Communism.  Bush played that role exceptionally well and his conciliatory tone was exactly what was needed at the time.

Again...being a fighter doesn't mean you cannot be classy or respectful.  I do not think the country elected Trump to speak ill of the sick or dead.

Also...American people did not elect Trump.  The Electoral College did.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
Again...being a fighter doesn't mean you cannot be classy or respectful.  I do not think the country elected Trump to speak ill of the sick or dead.

You must be referring to McCain because Bush Sr. has received every honor from Trump.  The thing with McCain is he hit Trump first and then tried to play the "war hero" card when Trump hit him back.  It was a cowardly play by McCain that backfired big time and only cemented in the minds of every decent, red-blooded American that Trump is the fighter we need to take on the duplicitous establishment.

Also...American people did not elect Trump.  The Electoral College did.

Every President is elected that way.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

Fail

I failed? I think you did by not honoring people that served the United States.

Offline Kings

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 180
  • -Received: 197
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »

trump's funeral will have the biggest crowds, the hottest chicks, and the richest dudes

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
You are incorrect about the timeline:

June 30, 2015: Two weeks after Trump announced his presidential candidacy in a speech widely criticized for calling Mexican immigrants "rapists" and drug runners, McCain put distance between himself and the celebrity billionaire. "I just disagree with his comments about the, quote, Mexicans," McCain told The Arizona Republic after he held a town-hall-style event at CAE Aviation Academy Phoenix at Mesa's Falcon Field airport."

]July 16, 2015: The New Yorker published McCain's reaction to Trump's Arizona rally. “This performance with our friend out in Phoenix is very hurtful to me,” McCain said in the interview. “Because what he did was he fired up the crazies.” Trump immediately fired back on Twitter, demanding that McCain apologize for the "crazies" remark and calling McCain a "dummy" for graduating last in his class at the U.S. Naval Academy. Trump called for McCain to be defeated in his primary.

July 18, 2015: The feud really exploded when Trump, at a Saturday event in Iowa, disparaged McCain's service during the Vietnam War. Trump, who did not serve in Vietnam, said McCain was “a war hero because he was captured” and that he liked “people that weren’t captured.” McCain, a former Navy aviator who was shot down in 1967 and held as a prisoner of war for more than five years, was defended by groups such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Military Officers Association of America, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America and Concerned Veterans for America.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2018/08/24/mccain-trump-feud-running-list-clashes-snubs-and-conflicts/1089090002/

When did McCain play the "war hero" card?

And no...every president JQA,  Hayes, Harrison, and GWB, and Trump have won the popular vote....that is the American people.  Electoral college is the system.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »

trump's funeral will have the biggest crowds, the hottest chicks, and the richest dudes

Right...like huge crowds like his inauguration.   

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
Please post more Liar so people can view Trumpism.

I’m surprised you didn’t criticized the GOP reps that lost in the election like what Trump did to some.

Example Trump talking about Mia Love a GOP House Rep.
“The president name-checked several GOP candidates who lost Tuesday. He said that Rep. Mia Love, R-Utah, "gave me no love, and she lost. Too bad, sorry about that Mia."

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/665184557/she-has-earned-this-trump-praises-pelosi-warns-democrats

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 02:44:52 PM »

Fail

I failed? I think you did by not honoring people that served the United States.

Trump is serving the United States.  You have failed to honor him.  Fail #2

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: SCOTUS by fortune11
[Today at 04:44:55 AM]

Snowflakes by morekaos
[Yesterday at 10:12:03 PM]

Re: SCOTUS by Ready2Downsize