Author Topic: Home security system  (Read 51482 times)

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2774
  • -Received: 1846
Re: Home security system
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
Why would you need a security system to live in the safest city in America or send kids to private school when the public schools are the best in the universe?
IHS is late to the thread... I asked the same question a page or so back.

I think qwerchete does it because he doesn't live in Irvine. :)

thats right. especially with that new park being built on valencia/severyns in columbus square that homer mentioned.  once i saw the soccer fields in the plans i told my wife that there would be all these hispanics playing soccer there. i dont mind as long as they have these guys cruising the park selling shaved ice

Offline ps9

• Thanks
  • -Given: 464
  • -Received: 1194
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
That sounds good right now, what are those colorful onion rings  on the end?

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 580
  • -Received: 1072
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »

Those are chicharrones also known as pasta para duros or ruedas or in english,  fried wheat wheels.
http://www.examiner.com/article/chicharrones-fried-wheat-wheels-recipe

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »

its just a wheat snack, you fry it and it becomes a puffy fried onion ring. this is what they look like before they are fried. they sell them at hispanic grocery stores so you can make them at home

typically most people put a hot sauce like this on them with some lemon and salt

very similar to this that you can get at ralphs/albertsons, etc.

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 213
  • -Received: 1189
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
y
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:05:14 PM by WTTCMN »

Offline gaogi

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 49
  • -Received: 102
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
I have ADT and they didn't charge me for the equipment or for installation, but the monthly was about 45.00.  My main goal was basically to use them through the 2 year contract, so I can get the equipment and then switch to alarmrelay.com for $8.95.  I went this route because I didn't want to deal with buying and installing the equipment, but had I known how easy it was, I would have just bought a system and save a few hundred dollars.  The installer that came by basically mounted the keypad, plugged it in, stuck the sensors with double sided tape, and programmed it, literally a 30 minute job.  The system he installed was this one:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1489-lynxr2-kt100-honeywell-lynx-plus-wireless-alarm-system.aspx

Everything is contained in the keypad, the alarm brains, siren, phone module etc.  You may need to add the GSM module if you don't have a landline.

If you're comfortable with tinkering with the system, I would suggest just buying your own equipment and pay much less for monitoring through alarmrelay.com or smarthome.com.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
I have ADT and they didn't charge me for the equipment or for installation, but the monthly was about 45.00.  My main goal was basically to use them through the 2 year contract, so I can get the equipment and then switch to alarmrelay.com for $8.95.  I went this route because I didn't want to deal with buying and installing the equipment, but had I known how easy it was, I would have just bought a system and save a few hundred dollars.  The installer that came by basically mounted the keypad, plugged it in, stuck the sensors with double sided tape, and programmed it, literally a 30 minute job.  The system he installed was this one:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1489-lynxr2-kt100-honeywell-lynx-plus-wireless-alarm-system.aspx

Everything is contained in the keypad, the alarm brains, siren, phone module etc.  You may need to add the GSM module if you don't have a landline.

If you're comfortable with tinkering with the system, I would suggest just buying your own equipment and pay much less for monitoring through alarmrelay.com or smarthome.com.

frontpoint is a DIY install. im not very handy and this was even easy for me. putting up the sensors takes minutes.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 503
  • -Received: 788
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
i use these guys, http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

they were around before simplisafe, almost identical business plan. i believe they do month to month as well, but if you sign up for a contract they will discount your initial equipment order.  the alarm door sensors from frontpoint are much smaller than simplisafe as well but other than that looks very similar.

at $15/month that sounds pretty good. the cheapest frontpoint offers is $35, then $42, then $49.

Researching home security systems so bumping this thread.  I am considering going with Cox - does anyone use them?  Have any opinions?

I priced them out against Frontpoint (a qwerty rec) and Cox is actually cheaper.  For 3 door sensors, 1 glass break sensor and 1 motion sensor, Frontpoint would cost $177 for upfront equipment cost and then $42.99 per month for monitoring.  For the same package, Cox would cost about $190 for the equipment (their base package only includes 2 door sensors and 1 motion sensor) and 32.99 per month for monitoring.

I wouldn't go with the cable company for an alarm system.

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Thanks
  • -Given: 531
  • -Received: 988
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
I highly suggest the alarm system that update you with emails and where you can log in remotely on your cell phone or computer to monitor and control the system. Irvine is not safe in term of home burglary. Expensive electronics, Asian suitcases, high end bags, jewelries and gold makes Irvine homes an ideal five finger discount swap meet. The security 11 point or less protection offered by alarm company's is never enough and is a huge waste of your money. The companies will give you the least expensive sensors possible and they are the window and door sensors Each device constitute a point so get the either the image sensors, motion detectors or and and glass breakage sensors to cover the entire room rather than 10 windows and door sensors.

Alarm.com has a app to down load on to your phone or you can log in to see what is going on inside your home at any given moment. For the husbands who work oversea or long hours and want to keep an eye on the mistress or wive the image sensor will give you instant snap shots of your bedroom, kitchen counter top, recliners, and garage workbench.

Happy alarm hunting!
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Between the alarm system, the dropcams, the bats, The Bat, firearms and dogs I pitty the fool(s) who dare try to enter casa de qwerty.

jmoney74

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
I also use front point.

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
[quote y
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:03:39 PM by WTTCMN »

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
y
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:03:36 PM by WTTCMN »

Offline gaogi

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 49
  • -Received: 102
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
Now you've got me researching my ADT replacement.  I was originally going to just go with alarmrelay.com and reuse the ADT equipment, but the interactive monitoring service seems intriguing to me.  Looks like Protect America offers a lot of what Frontpoint has for half the price (19.99/month), and no equipment cost with a 3 year contract.  They also use GE wireless equipment, so installation should be easy.  Seems to have good customer reviews too:

http://besthomesecuritycompanys.com/company/protect-america

http://home-security-monitoring-review.toptenreviews.com/protect-america-review.html

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2014, 07:12:25 PM »
[qy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:03:32 PM by WTTCMN »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]