Yogurtland

ps99472

Seems like Yogurtland has come out ahead of its competitors, and surprisingly to me, the yogurt fad is here to stay.  We frequent the Northwood location, hidden in the back of the aging shopping center next to a karate studio. 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yogurtland-irvine-3

This location in our experience has the best selection of toppings vs the other Irvine stores.  And it's usually not crowded.  And you get to play the guess the price game which no other location does. 

My favorite is the plain tart, some passion fruit, and sprinkle of almonds.  I wouldn't put more than two flavors of yogurt in one cup, the mix gets funky towards the end. 

28ab7518b25655016a0abfe27418a9a0_zps667e5a4c.jpg

Yogurtland feels like the Starbucks of the yogurt world, lots of corporate tie ins (Looney Tunes, etc.), and new flavors that come out frequently.  Hoping for some alcoholic yogurt in the future!

LOL

yeah we frequent yogurtland enough to say that it's not just a fad for us.  I think we all started with Pinkberry but they are now overpriced as all the competitors have settled in. 

My favorite is the plain tart at Red Mango, but they closed down awhile back.  Pinkberrys not bad, not worth going to the District for it though.

ps9 said:
My favorite is the plain tart at Red Mango, but they closed down awhile back.  Pinkberrys not bad, not worth going to the District for it though.

you get so much more at Yogurtland though.

I think the *Yogurtland* fad is here to stay.

Everyone else is struggling... Golden Spoon, the "gold" standard of froyo, has tried to change its service model to match YL but that experiment didn't do too well (their long time Irvine location on Walnut and Culver closed).

There are YL wannabes (Cherry on Top, Tutti Frutti, Menchies) but ps9's comparison to Starbucks is spot on.

The Northwood location does seem to be the biggest and least crowded of the Irvine locations (another pro for Northwood)... but they should put one closer to the 405 in Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the *Yogurtland* fad is here to stay.

Everyone else is struggling... Golden Spoon, the "gold" standard of froyo, has tried to change its service model to match YL but that experiment didn't do too well (their long time Irvine location on Walnut and Culver closed).

There are YL wannabes (Cherry on Top, Tutti Frutti, Menchies) but ps9's comparison to Starbucks is spot on.

The Northwood location does seem to be the biggest and least crowded of the Irvine locations (another pro for Northwood)... but they should put one closer to the 405 in Irvine.

I think Yogurtland has a good grasp on the market and froyo being a healthy alternative  to ice cream is here to stay.  Personally, I like Tutti Frutti but Yogurtland is fine as well.

Golden Spoon's problem was pricing...it was way too expensive compared to Yogurtland.

I was at the Northwood Yogurtland with my family last night. Maybe we ran into each other. Got dessert for all 4 of us for $9 and some change.

samuroo said:
If I remember correctly, I believe Tutti Frutti had the Yakult flavor before.

This is the Woodbury location?  I'll check it out next time I venture to TJ's

What is the protocol (if there is one) for these self-serve yogurt places?  Do you stand in line until you get to the flavor you want or do you just go directly to said flavor?  I've always stood in line and waited until I reached what I wanted (usually plain tart, which is all the way at the end before you reach the toppings), but have seen people do the opposite.  It gets pretty chaotic in the tight space with people coming in and out.

On another note, I think stores should post signs that sample cups are to be used only once.  We were behind a family of 6 last night and every single one of them probably tasted every single flavor available.  They each used their sample cup over and over...isn't that kind of like double dipping?  Yogurtland usually gives you three sample cups each, people should try at most three flavors and make a decision.  This is not a buffet! 

Still grossed out by what I saw...think I'll be going back to Pinkberry.

Back