Would you buy a house if it had any one of these on curbside in front of house

Irvine_Dreamer

a) tree that is uprooting sidewalk

b) big storm drain

c) fire hydrant

d) bus stop behind backyard wall

Bus transportation are for maids and nannies. Cheap labor and exploitation are a plus so having a bus stop near a house is an advantage.

I don't know if I have ever seen a big storm drain but the regular storm drain in front of a house meant the house is facing the street and not some awful motor court so that is a plus in todays standard.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Fire hydrant in front of an Irvine house is a premium. Builder charges a modest increase in price because the hydrant prevents those tiny pee pee drivers with big honkin SUVs from parking in front of the house.
Maybe I should start putting up a fake fire hydrant in front of my house

irvinehomeshopper said:
Bus transportation are for maids and nannies. Cheap labor and exploitation are a plus so having a bus stop near a house is an advantage.
They can walk, but I don't want to inhale black smoke from bus.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I don't know if I have ever seen a big storm drain but the regular storm drain in front of a house meant the house is facing the street and not some awful motor court so that is a plus in todays standard.
But storm drain stinks!

a.) big trees are illegal in Irvine (or so it seems)
b.) if storm drain means house is at the end of the street and there is no next-door neighbor, that's a plus (unless the storm drain isn't maintained and backs up because you have strange neighbors dumping strange things down it)
c.) fire hydrant - depends on the neighbors.  If they're the type who are going to be starting back yard fires with their smokers, then I wouldn't want to live near them when the fire department is called every month.  Otherwise, I can't see any negatives. 
d.) I wouldn't want a busy street behind my back yard wall, bus stop or not.

irvinehomeshopper said:

This is utter nonsense. The sight of a storm drain in front of a house is a NO NO.

Storms drain in front of the house - NO.
Bus stop- NO.
Fire Hydrant - I live next to one, and never thought about it. As of now, my neighbor has parked his huge SUV close to the hydrant. Trumps IHS's theory...
Tree- I haven't seen any in Irvine, but in Arcadia there was one next to my bedroom window. It was uprooting the concrete, and every time there was a storm I thought it would fall. It didn't..

Cubic Zirconia said:
Bus stop- NO.
Fire Hydrant - I live next to one, and never thought about it. As of now, my neighbor has parked his huge SUV close to the hydrant. Trumps IHS's theory...
Tree- I haven't seen any in Irvine, but in Arcadia there was one next to my bedroom window. It was uprooting the concrete, and every time there was a storm I thought it would fall. It didn't..

An anonymous call the the IPD about the SUV will garner a $200+ ticket on the windshield within 2 minutes flat.

a) tree that is uprooting sidewalk
You can remove the tree.

b) big storm drain
Probably not.

c) fire hydrant
Depends... I like to have parking in front of my house, even if it's my less endowed neighbor (I don't get IHS' obsession with that... must be something personal)

d) bus stop behind backyard wall
Had this and didn't it like it. The sound of a starting and stopping bus was erratic and quite bothersome. This is like having a fire station nearby.

Fire Hydrant in my opinion is the most preferred. It is great to have that quick drop off spot in front of the home as long you don't leave your vehicle longer than 2 minutes flat. No long term parking for your neighbors mean your window is not blocked.

Trees uplifting sidewalk is my next preferred because a mature tree adds a lot of curb appeal to the front of a house. I love the shade as well as a veil of privacy from my neighbor's home across the street. It also could mean that the neighborhood is mature. Typically a tree would not lift sidewalk unless it reaches 65 years of age.

I hate bus stop because the soot is nasty and bad for health. The accelerating is loud and brake dust settles on the window screens. The property will be exposed to burglary and other trash thrown over the wall into the backyard like Popsicle sticks, bottles and cans.

Storm drain is dead on as my last choice. Storm drain is typically located at the lowest spot of the topography where water always find its lowest spot. The location is also prone to flooding during a heavy rail when a vast amount of water takes time to funnel into the inlet. Given a clogged pipe the house is subject to flooding. Never buy a house at the lowest point of the elevation. In to days development little open space is left for water percolation a majority of water off roofs and roads is heading toward the few dedicated storm drain inlets. A torrential rain can do some damage to the subject property.

davenlei said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
Bus stop- NO.

An anonymous call the the IPD about the SUV will garner a $200+ ticket on the windshield within 2 minutes flat.

Saw this two days late :) but there is always a next time!

Hi All -

This is my first post on TI and hence excuse me for any amateur mistakes when posting. I have just bought a condo in CV and when I recently visited the site I seen that there is a storm drain at my entrance of my home. How much will this impact the resale of my home down the road? Also, for the storm drains that read -'Do not throw trash as it directly drains into the Ocean' - should I be expecting any foul smell from the drain? (There is enough noise, pollution from the I-5, I can't add any more. :))

Thank you.

I have a storm drain half in front of my house, half in front of my neighbors.  I never thought much about it until reading this thread.  It doesn't have an odor, it's never backed up, and I'm not the lowest point of elevation on the street.  The entire street is on a very slight slope so there are about 3 storm drains on the street.

I didn't even factor this into my buying decision, had no idea some people would see it as such a negative. 

homesweethome said:
Hi All -

This is my first post on TI and hence excuse me for any amateur mistakes when posting. I have just bought a condo in CV and when I recently visited the site I seen that there is a storm drain at my entrance of my home. How much will this impact the resale of my home down the road? Also, for the storm drains that read -'Do not throw trash as it directly drains into the Ocean' - should I be expecting any foul smell from the drain? (There is enough noise, pollution from the I-5, I can't add any more. :))

Thank you.

not sure if anyone would care... do you actually smell anything from it?  I don't even notice them when I walk by.. only just to be careful not to drop anything near it.  ;)

Theres a house in Quinterra (Portola Springs) that had a giant storm drain that faced the side yard across the street. It wasn't the greatest view, and I believe run off from the landfill would come thru there. At night you can hear a ton of frogs in that storm drain and who knows what else lives in it. Anyway, that house has a 6K+ sqft lot but several buyers dropped out because of it so it does impact some people, but eventually it did sell. Theres a home for everyone, storm drain or not.

I did stop by the drain this past weekend and while there was not smell, stink it did give my entrance a different landscaping feel. This is because other homes have grass all the way from the curb to the walkway, whereas our home has more concrete from the curb to the walkway with only 1 foot of grass in between.

Also, does anyone know if this will be marked as red zone for no parking. (I personally don't think so, but am hoping someone can confirm).

Back