Working with California Pacific and minimum to close

muzzahman4

We will probably be working with California Pacific for our first ever home purchase. We don't want to get hosed at the design center and I've gotten a lot of good advice from these forums, but had some more specific questions:

I've gathered that you have to have flooring to close. Standard is carpet and tile for the townhome we're purchasing. So the only issue is the kitchen tile being standard. Has anyone gotten them to put un-glued vinyl down in the kitchen? On the same page do they have to put in baseboards? (I know places like Venitian include upgraded ones.)

Do all the appliances need to be installed before close? I can see a fridge not being necessary, but do the stove and dishwasher need to be put in too? This is partially to use that money on other things and partially to get to pick our own appliances. Or is just selling unwanted appliances after close easier?

Cal Pacific has "included" some upgrades in the pricing they're showing us, like $2250 for paint and adding full tile backsplash. We'd rather take the credits for those and spend them on what's more important for us. We don't have to accept those upgrades, right? Do we need to get that in writing before entering the contract?

The included cabinets are 36" white, flat-faced Thermofoil. Will builders put in 42" cabinets? Would it save us any money to tell them we want open cabinets on the top and to not get doors so we can install our own later? We can say we don't want any hardware on the cabinets, right?

We're just trying to gain credits where we can so we can cover things like tiling or the taller cabinets.

Thanks for your help!

1. They probably won't put un-glued vinyl down in the kitchen, and yes they will probably install the baseboards. Don't think they will make an exception.

2. AFAIK, the appliances (other than fridge, washer/dryer) will need to be installed prior to close. Are you getting a loan through their lender? They might have their own requirements.

3. You're not going to get credits for those included upgrades. They're set, consider it price of the home. You don't get to accept/unaccept pre-selected upgrades.

4. It is unlikely they will offer a different size of cabinet. Different finish maybe, but highly unlikely a different size, especially with an attached product.

5. Highly unlikely they will install the cabinets doorless and without hardware. Likely they will give you plenty of changes to upgrade at design center, but if you choose not to do that, you will just get the standard finishes.

eclipxe said:
3. You're not going to get credits for those included upgrades. They're set, consider it price of the home. You don't get to accept/unaccept pre-selected upgrades.

So we can't tell them we don't want the house painted and we just have to accept their randomly chosen color?

muzzahman4 said:
eclipxe said:

So we can't tell them we don't want the house painted and we just have to accept their randomly chosen color?

If it is a "preselected" option, then no. Most likely you can choose another color from their standard palette for that option, but you can't get credit back for them not painting it (even if you choose just standard white), or have them knock it off the price of the home.

Although, it doesn't hurt to ask - all builders are different and the market is slowing, but most likely not.

Is this a joke thread? Are you punking T.I.? I was suspicious with the first post but the O.P.'s second post sealed the deal for me.

Why would this be a joke? I've never bought a house before, much less a new construction house.

They're calling these "pre-plot options." Though if mandatory, not quite options are they! We'll have to ask.

Pre-plot options usually mean they already selected (forced) the options for you in order to meet builder cut-off dates.  Most of the times you can not "downgrade" such as asking credit for appliances.  You may get a little credit back for flooring if they haven't install/order the material yet but expect the amount to be a joke ($1,000). 

Even if you do receive some sort of credit, it's towards upgrades through their design center.

Most of the stuff you listed is not possible (house needs to be complete upon delivery). If you do not want certain pre-plotted (cannot change) items, you'll have to wait for later phases.

The framing started Saturday, this isn't an almost complete phase. They aren't supposed to be ready until February. Deadlines for painting the interior, the kitchen backsplash and upgraded appliances couldn't have passed already, right?

Credits to the design center is exactly what we'd want.

muzzahman4 said:
The framing started Saturday... Would deadlines for painting the interior, the kitchen backsplash and upgraded appliances have passed already?

Credits to the design center is exactly what we want.

Doesn't matter. If the upgrades are specified as pre-plotted, they are not going to deviate from them. The suggestion of waiting for later phases is in hopes that they would offer units as a blank slate for you to then choose your upgrades with designated cut off dates.

Correct. What some buyers don't realize is that there is lead time in ordering materials, especially in bulk. Just because framing just started doesn't mean that the backsplash hasn't already been ordered.

And then there's profit. Don't forget that. Any chance the builder can squeeze a few $k here and there without much effort, they will. Pre plotted options are a great way to do that.

Just like anything in life, there's the advertised price and then there's the price you really end up paying. That delta is what keeps companies going. It's all a game, and even worst with new homes.

But alas, what can you do?

Back