Woodbury Town Center

kayochan

Hey guys, you know that big tree between the fountain and Niko Niko Sushi at WTC? 

Well,...I saw an elder Asian man with a toddler on top of the circular mound surrounding the tree.  He was allowing the boy to pee into the tree (well actually into the plants surrounding the tree).  When he was done, the older man proceeded to wipe him down with some toilet paper.  This is all happening in the view of the Niko Niko patrons as well as this big Caucasian family sitting at the outside tables by the tree. 

I overheard them speaking Chinese as I passed by them.  Now, I've read about some mainland Chinese kids being allowed to pee/poo in public in Irvine, but I thought that was a joke or exaggeration until I saw it myself...

What was strange is that these were well dressed people.  So it isn't like they were homeless.  So why not take the boy to a public restroom?  Panera's was right there and I have never seen them stop people and check to see whether they were patrons before they got to go to the restroom.

I am so cornfused...

When I was visiting Beijing and Shanghai, I noticed it was common for people to spit on the sidewalk.  However, I did not see anyone pee in public.

As someone who is Chinese, I am embarrassed by the behavior of some recent immigrants from China.  I think their offspring will assimilate well, but the habits of the older generation will likely continue to haunt us.

irvine buyer said:
When I was visiting Beijing and Shanghai, I noticed it was common for people to spit on the sidewalk.  However, I did not see anyone pee in public.

Hong Kong Howls, But 88% of Mainland Chinese Don?t Mind Public Urination
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...-mainland-chinese-dont-mind-public-urination/

Maybe a cultural difference?  Or an isolated incidence?  I guess if you have that big of a population, you are bound to have outliers that appear to be a bigger sample population as compared to ours here?  I guess in China, if something like this happens with outliers, people probably don't really notice because it is so crowded there and more people are walking around (pedestrian city).  But more noticeable here?

Public urination probably is part of 3rd world thing.  I work near downtown LA and I can tell you that public urination is pretty common at this part of ghetto.

The problem for this part of Los Angeles and a lot of 3rd world countries is due to lack of public restrooms and people just got used to doing it in the public area out of necessity and now they got so comfortable doing it, they just do it even there are restrooms around. 

irvine buyer said:
As someone who is Chinese, I am embarrassed by the behavior of some recent immigrants from China.  I think their offspring will assimilate well, but the habits of the older generation will likely continue to haunt us.

Chain smoking?

BangBros said:
Ah shit.  See this is what I fawkin' told you guys.  You guys never believed it. 

The class-less people in China, now with suitcases of cash from corrupt business dealings are coming over here.  Yet, these people are not educated with how to behave in public and they continue to behave like they are in the rural areas.  Yet, as these people continue to make suit-case loads of cash, you'll continue to see these immigrants who for example, will bend over and pee/poop everywhere they see fit.

Don't believe me?  Go on youtube.  You'll find many videos of Chinese people behaving badly in public doing tasteless things in public.

And yes, I do admit.  It pisses me off that these Mainlanders are ruining the image for Chinese Americans.

Question is...why isn't Irvine PD cracking down on this?  Last time I checked it's against the law to pee/poo in public.

I've seen it happen a few times in the Westminster/Garden Grove area.  I guess businesses don't let people use bathrooms in east asia and assume it's the same here?

Just like speeding, you can only get nab if you get caught in the act. Then again everyone of us can be a cop citizen and walk over and show them the proper way. Whether they understand and follow is a different mater. We should at least try to intervene. If I see a hijacker on my plane, even if I am not arm I would still jump the bastard.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Question is...why isn't Irvine PD cracking down on this?  Last time I checked it's against the law to pee/poo in public.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.  100% would like to see something done to reduce public urination/defecation.

The *feeling* I get from calling the cops on grandparents of little jr for taking a leak/pinching out a turd in public is it's a little heavy handed for someone who may genuinely not understand what they've done wrong.  And maybe it would divert police resources away from more serious issues (like taking down the "shame on SCE" signs :p)

I think  the systemic problem is the slow/lack of cultural integration/awareness.  With the huge influx of foreigners we're seeing, maybe the city could dedicate some resources to educating foreigners about which common customs we do/don't practice here.  Granted, this sounds idealistic and depends on the foreigner's willingness to make use of said educational resources.  Maybe it could be used in tandem with police support...  Like, cop shows up with someone who can communicate in the offenders language, explains what the issue is, and gives them some printed info on general Irvine cultural do's and don'ts.  First offense is "hi there, we welcome different cultures and have local customs that should be followed, here, you win a free pamphlet, next time feel free to use a toilet." Additional would have more serious consequences?

Or maybe we could install some signs with a picture of a person squatting out a potty break with a circle+dash printed over it.

Compressed-Village said:
Then again everyone of us can be a cop citizen and walk over and show them the proper way. Whether they understand and follow is a different mater. We should at least try to intervene. If I see a hijacker on my plane, even if I am not arm I would still jump the bastard.

I like the cut of your jib.  +1 for taking personal responsiblity

IrvineNinja said:
Hey guys, you know that big tree between the fountain and Niko Niko Sushi at WTC? 

Well,...I saw an elder Asian man with a toddler on top of the circular mound surrounding the tree.  He was allowing the boy to pee into the tree (well actually into the plants surrounding the tree).  When he was done, the older man proceeded to wipe him down with some toilet paper.  This is all happening in the view of the Niko Niko patrons as well as this big Caucasian family sitting at the outside tables by the tree. 

I overheard them speaking Chinese as I passed by them.  Now, I've read about some mainland Chinese kids being allowed to pee/poo in public in Irvine, but I thought that was a joke or exaggeration until I saw it myself...

What was strange is that these were well dressed people.  So it isn't like they were homeless.  So why not take the boy to a public restroom?  Panera's was right there and I have never seen them stop people and check to see whether they were patrons before they got to go to the restroom.

I am so cornfused...

so did you do anything about it?  if no one does anything then the problem just continues.

dethman said:
IrvineNinja said:

I am so cornfused...

so did you do anything about it?  if no one does anything then the problem just continues.

FCB life matters?  ;)

dethman said:
IrvineNinja said:

I am so cornfused...

No, I didn't do anything.  I was too busy trying to scoop up my jaw off the ground.

I like "Someguy"'s suggestion though:  "signs with a picture of a person squatting out a potty break with a circle+dash printed over it."  If the city made some business card sized no-public potty signs, then I would be happy to approach our newly minted but somewhat misguided Irvinites with the cards.  Otherwise, I don't feel comfortable accosting someone in public and trying to explain something to someone who may or may not understand me.

Back