Wood Flooring in the Kitchen

Thank you.

Just curious but why would you exclude the bottom bedroom/office? Wouldn't it look nicer if the bottom bedroom had a similar look?  I agree about the bathroom and kitchen.  I could go either way on the kitchen.  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Based on my #monitoring (and math), seems like $15-$25k is the range depending  on what type of wood you pick and number of spaces downstairs (I would exclude bathrooms, downstairs bedroom and kitchen).

If you spill water on it.. not like its going to buckle.  it will fine.  The problem would be during accidents like leaky pipes, etc. 

WTTCMN said:
But even so, fine $15k.  Def nowhere near $25k for Provenza Old World.  Funny, how Mr. I-only-spend-$50k-max is big balling on the wood floors ;)
Uh... I did say a range depending on how many spaces you did and what kind of wood you are choosing. I've seen much more expensive wood than Provenza (which I consider middle of the road because it's engineered) so the $25k would not be that brand (and would include ALL first floor spaces).

Are you doing the entire 1st floor?

By math, I was using estimates from my own homes (I've redone 1st floor flooring on 3 occasions... one of which happened to be in the same square foot range that IrvineHusky is asking about).

Usually, more space is downstairs than upstairs but I don't know IrvineHusky's floor plan so my range was up to 1500sft.

@IrvineHusky:

We did the bottom bedroom in one of our homes and it ended up being cold and echo-ey. It was off to the back so there wasn't really a need for floor continuity. We later re-did the flooring in the rest of the 1st floor but kept the flooring we had put there to reduce cost.

In our other home, we put carpet in the 1st floor bedroom but that's also because it was a playroom for our kids (who were toddlers at the time), so we wanted carpet there to minimize damage from face plants. We had also put carpet in the family room for the same reason but regretted it as not only did it break up the flooring continuity but the carpet got stained so badly from juice/milk/etc.

If it was primarily as an office/den, hard flooring would be okay, but as a bedroom, I prefer carpet. But that's me, I also don't like hard flooring in the 2nd floor bedrooms but some people love it (ps9?).

aquabliss said:
I had hardwood in the kitchen of my last home - I loved the cohesive look (can't stand wood/tile split look), but man it was a pain.  I had a dishwasher leak that warped some of the wood, then water stains around the sink and fridge (even though I had a mat there) - also there were so many dropped dishes/knives/pots/pans that it was a dent fest in that kitchen... It looked good from far but after a few years it was far from good.

I have porcelain wood tile now throughout my downstairs, this thing is bulletproof - I've already dropped a lamp, pots, pans, glasses, etc on it and I can't notice a thing... No dents, no cracks, marks wash off with some goo gone and elbow grease. 

It doesn't look quite as nice as that dark wood floor throughout the downstairs but it's 10x easier to maintain.  I may do wood again but not until the kids grow up - for now I don't regret the plank tile throughout.

If you are concerned about dents just get a distressed looking engineered wood. Helps hide any dents and makes the floor look more natural.

WTTCMN said:
@irvinehusky. I also prefer carpet in bedrooms.  If it's wood, I would feel the need to throw an area rug in there so then, why not just do carpet.

dust allergies, says the person with both upper floors of the house all hardwood and tile

Can anyone recommend a more durable wood then that would last a few years and show well for years?

I love dark wood but thinking of a distressed wood with less sheen to it so my little boys car toys scratched just blend right in.

Is there a make of wood, type that is particularly hardy? ESP when going with a darker floor color?

barton said:
That floor looks like moon shadow by Provenza. Venetian did the flooring for us. Eric and Andy had the right attitude and above all the right price. Thanks TI for your recommendation.

yes, it's moonshadow and installed by Venetian

Paris167 said:
Anyone have hardwood in kitchen for 10 years and been ok?

Me :)

My previous home had oak/gunstock engineered wood installed in 2001, covering the kitchen and dining areas. I just moved out and overall it's in great shape (so roughly 13 years old). You will have to be careful about wiping up spills quickly but regular use and general wear and tear was not an issue.

Necro time!!

aquabliss said:
I had hardwood in the kitchen of my last home - I loved the cohesive look (can't stand wood/tile split look), but man it was a pain.  I had a dishwasher leak that warped some of the wood, then water stains around the sink and fridge (even though I had a mat there) - also there were so many dropped dishes/knives/pots/pans that it was a dent fest in that kitchen... It looked good from far but after a few years it was far from good.

Was it wood or engineered wood? I've read that engineered wood holds up better to moisture than wood and even laminate.

I am worried about installing engineered wood in the kitchen but am reading it's okay.

I have porcelain wood tile now throughout my downstairs, this thing is bulletproof - I've already dropped a lamp, pots, pans, glasses, etc on it and I can't notice a thing... No dents, no cracks, marks wash off with some goo gone and elbow grease. 

It doesn't look quite as nice as that dark wood floor throughout the downstairs but it's 10x easier to maintain.  I may do wood again but not until the kids grow up - for now I don't regret the plank tile throughout.

For the wood look tile, do you notice the pattern? Did you have them randomly placed or does the grout line from an obvious layout like brick (running bond)?

Back