Wireless Router Placement for best coverage

Subscribed.

Reading up access points, powerline, mesh coverage, etc. 
No repeaters as you'd lose speeds (send/receive)

I think they say that because it's easier to connect to the main cable modem/router.  But if you want the best signal I would suggest an open area on the second floor, such as the loft.  However, the newest AC and N routers should have enough signal penetration regardless having to worry much about placement.  While you are at it, consider doing a hidden SSID so your network doesn't show up on your neighbor's choices when they look for wifi. 

Another tip is to set up an access point by connecting another router to your network outlet.  This method is much better than setting up a wireless repeater if you have network outlets throughout your house.

OCVillager said:
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like having an access point is a good idea. Then, where exactly do you place the actual modem and router that get connected to cable (cox or U-Verse)? I have couple of wired devices that work well between TV and router. So, for me keeping the router/modem next to TV worked so far. But, if I want to keep the TV area clean or wall mount tv in the new home, where do you guys place all this equipment like modem, router, landline phone etc.?
Thanks again for your help.

Another solution is using the cat 5 outlets. (Hard wire) for faster performance

It sounds from your opening comment you have a new construction.  If that's the case, there should already be CAT5e/CAT6(network) and Coaxial(tv or MOCA devices) run through all your walls back to a main panel in the master closet.  My place has everything behind a white panel in the the closet.  The way I usually run it is have the main modem plugged into a main distribution switch or wifi router, connect to each room's corresponding patch with short CAT6 cables, and then plug the network devices into the outlets in each room.  For example, the new places have CAT6 and Coaxial in each room so it is easier to have everything go back to one central location in case you ever need to troubleshoot.  Or if you wanna keep your current location, just consider one of those media consoles under your TV mount to hide your equipment from view.  Like this:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/aspect-47.5-modular-sliding-door-storage-unit/s556708

I think it's all a matter of taste either way.  Hope that helps. 

Hopefully you have cat5e/cat6 run to each room, then you can place access points throughout the house as needed. I prefer Ubiquiti Unifi such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482891264&sr=8-2&keywords=unifi+802.11ac

If you don't have ethernet run to each room then you can try one of the newer mesh networks like Eero, Netgear Orbi or Google Wifi.

OCVillager said:
But, if I want to keep the TV area clean or wall mount tv in the new home, where do you guys place all this equipment like modem, router, landline phone etc.?
Thanks again for your help. 

In our house, the wall designed for the tv to be mounted on had built in cabinets on each side. Then there is a conduit from behind the tv to the cabinet. So all my hardware (DVR, modem, router, etc) is nowhere to be seen. Just need to switch remotes to RF.

I'm really surprised this isn't the standard design in new homes.

My builder did give us the conduit down to the media console standard, but the console shown in the model in the 2nd pic is extra...$8800 extra actually talk about sticker shock.

Attachments

• Loft Conduit.jpg
    Loft Conduit.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Model Console.jpg
    Model Console.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
Back