Will Irvine change from bedroom community to metropolitan by 2020?

irvinehomeshopper said:
I really like Trace's answer lately.

I agree with her that is the only time a child learns to become an adult by leaving the tiger den and Helicopter parents.

The average educational loan amount the students are responsible for after attending the top tier private colleges is $15,000. Survey was among Stanford, Caltech, Claremont Colleges and the Ivy schools. The reason is the large private endowment amount these schools get to benefitting the few students attending the top tier schools.

Endowment for public universities are limited and often these money goes to glorifying the researching program rather than helping the poor undergrads.

Does this mean there was a time when you did not like my answers? ;)

My feelings about living in the dorms are mostly drawn from my own college experiences. Living in a dorm was the first time I was on my own. Doing my own laundry, being responsible for my own meals, waking myself up for class, going to sleep at a reasonable time, etc...plus having so much fun and making good friends. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

traceimage said:
WoodburyDad said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Environment and history are the number one reason why certain cities become a major league player.

A good example is university campus. Inorder for a campus to be a top tier campus first there need to be classical or brick buildings around a courtyard on campus. Ivy on the walls would be a bonus.

This is the reason why UCI will never become a top tier college. UCLA, Berkeley, USC, Stanford, Claremont, Cal Tech and Occidental all have features I described.

Those other schools are top notch but also seem very expensive.
I?m all for live at home with the parents and attend UCI
The amount of money we save can go toward paying for grad school, med school, or toward the down payment on a house.

It may save money to live at home, but I think dorm living is a very important part of the college experience. I think it ultimately disadvantages your child not to have that separation and independence (plus living with peers really helps kids make friends and feel like part of the campus community).

Those are all very good and valid points that you make.
My wife feels the same way.
The benefits gained in terms of personal growth, responsibility and independence are much more important and outweigh the financial savings.
We just look at some things differently.

Back