Why don't master bathrooms have doors?

I've noticed that in many houses with a master suite, there is no door separating the bathroom part of the suite. This doesn't seem very practical to me. If couples sleep/get up at different times, I think a door is essential so that the awake person can use the bathroom without disturing the sleeping one. I've noticed that in houses with multiple suites, the secondary suites usually have doors to their bathrooms but not the master suite so if there is some practical reason why the master bathroom should be doorless, wouldn't that reason apply to the secondary suites as well? If there is logic to leaving the master bath exposed, I'd like to know.

I know that in our place having a door between the master bed and bath was an option. I can't recall how much extra it cost, but I do remember that you had to request it before they started framing.

Builders are aware of the doors but most of the time it is left in the open position. Bathroom is so tight that the door in its open position often is blocking something very important like a tub, glass shower door, or the only remaining blank wall for towel racks and light switches.

When builders provide it as standard then buyers consider the conflicts as a flaw. If the buyers take it as an option then they accept the consequences.

It's a love / hate relationship with that door. In places I've lived without one... yes, the bathroom light and noise wakes you up. I currently do have a door separating the master suite from its bathroom. The door swings into the bedroom to open. So although it's not hitting anything in the bathroom, unfortunately now all the space behind the door in the bedroom is pretty much useless (and there isn't a lot of space in the bedroom to begin with.) I was going to put a chair in the corner next to the door but of course I can't. Not a table, not a chair, nothing. Master bath door: Can't live with it. Can't live without it. LOL

For the past 5 years, we have used our master bedroom in an untraditional manner. We use a smaller bedroom as our master bedroom, and we use the intended master bedroom as our guest room and my office. We have lots of company, so it works out well when they visit. They have their own big bedroom with their own bathroom for privacy. Their is extra floor space for luggage and we can throw twin mattresses down on the floor for their kids.

When guests aren't visiting, we still use the intended master bath as our main bathroom. However, we don't have to be quiet because someone else is still trying to sleep, etc. And I can use my computer as soon as I wake up while the hubby is still sleeping (he's not a morning person) :coolsmirk:

And the smaller bedroom is cozier and darker.

I know we are the exception to this rule; however, it's worked out nicely for us.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1224583634]It's a love / hate relationship with that door. In places I've lived without one... yes, the bathroom light and noise wakes you up. I currently do have a door separating the master suite from its bathroom. The door swings into the bedroom to open. So although it's not hitting anything in the bathroom, unfortunately now all the space behind the door in the bedroom is pretty much useless (and there isn't a lot of space in the bedroom to begin with.) I was going to put a chair in the corner next to the door but of course I can't. Not a table, not a chair, nothing. Master bath door: Can't live with it. Can't live without it. LOL</blockquote>

I wish builders today would make more use of pocket doors for these tight bathroom situations. The home I grew up in North Tustin had pocket doors galore. It is perfect for an area where you can't spare the space, but need a door. They are probably more costly to build.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224629579][quote author="SoCal78" date=1224583634]It's a love / hate relationship with that door. In places I've lived without one... yes, the bathroom light and noise wakes you up. I currently do have a door separating the master suite from its bathroom. The door swings into the bedroom to open. So although it's not hitting anything in the bathroom, unfortunately now all the space behind the door in the bedroom is pretty much useless (and there isn't a lot of space in the bedroom to begin with.) I was going to put a chair in the corner next to the door but of course I can't. Not a table, not a chair, nothing. Master bath door: Can't live with it. Can't live without it. LOL</blockquote>

I wish builders today would make more use of pocket doors for these tight bathroom situations. The home I grew up in North Tustin had pocket doors galore. It is perfect for an area where you can't spare the space, but need a door. They are probably more costly to build.</blockquote>

I agree -- particulary when there is an inside laundry area that is not technically in a laundry-room but is within ear-shot of a television-viewing spot. Sometimes the noise is aggravating and a pocket door would be perfect. I also like pocket doors to separate the kitchen from a dining area so that the mess "disappears" when you have guests over for dinner but you can still conveniently walk through to serve food. With today's open floor plans it seems like pocket doors have all but vanished.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224629579]They are probably more costly to build.</blockquote>
And much harder to maintain and/or replace.

I remember many of the older homes had those... usually from the kitchen to the dining room as there was no room for a swinging door.

My parent's house has those folding doors for the laundry area... but I think that's more for visual appearance because those flimsy things don't block out much noise.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1224643371][quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224629579]They are probably more costly to build.</blockquote>
And much harder to maintain and/or replace.

Totally!! I remember the pocket doors in our old home always used to get stuck. We would yell for my Dad and he was always able to hit it in the perfect place to make it work again. Oh, the good old days!

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224644199][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1224643371][quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224629579]They are probably more costly to build.</blockquote>
And much harder to maintain and/or replace.</blockquote>

Totally!! I remember the pocket doors in our old home always used to get stuck. We would yell for my Dad and he was always able to hit it in the perfect place to make it work again. Oh, the good old days!</blockquote>

Are you saying that you are the child of the original shark-jumper; Arthur Fonzarelli?

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1224646634]Like any sliding doors, pocket door is noisy, and it is a real pain to repair. It took me a good three hours to replace the rollers on two of my shower/tub the other day, and I have to get a special tool to to get into the bolt without taking the frame apart. It would probably take a lot more work to repair a pocket door.</blockquote>

maybe it is just you?

i replace the four rollers on my shower/bath sliding glass doors two weekends ago in about an hour, including driving to the ACE. add another hour to scrub off the gunk...

I need to write that down in my mental book of comebacks:

"Oh yeah? Well it takes your mother over 3 hours to change rollers on a sliding shower door!"

I prefer the openness of the master bath... it makes the master bedroom bigger.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1224646764][quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224644199][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1224643371][quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1224629579]They are probably more costly to build.</blockquote>
And much harder to maintain and/or replace.</blockquote>

Totally!! I remember the pocket doors in our old home always used to get stuck. We would yell for my Dad and he was always able to hit it in the perfect place to make it work again. Oh, the good old days!</blockquote>

Are you saying that you are the child of the original shark-jumper; Arthur Fonzarelli?</blockquote>

Ha! No, just the child of little Greek man with a short temper!

we simply placed a curtain between the master bath and bed. it doesn't help with the noise, but it does take care of the light.

In every tract of New homes that i have sold there was always the option to add the door to separate the Master to the Bath. Out of 100 homes that we would sell there would only be 2 or 3 people who would order that option as they wanted the privacy and not to wake anyone while in the bathroom. The reason people didnot order this option more often as it made the Master Bedroom feel small. The reason Builders do not install pocket doors as they are a customer service nightmare that the builder has to deal with for the next 10 years.

Back