Who's buying?

jumpinjacks said:
Just posting thoughts and commentary on what's been said so far. I guess I'll stick to just commenting on food places...

In regards to your housing situation, I would stay where you are. That's good you put more than 20% down.

You previously mentioned you work for a financial company. Let me ask you this, what type of financial company? The reason why I ask, because we are stock junkies/option traders/side line wannabe economists/day traders/401k gurus people over here at TI.  :)

eyephone said:
jumpinjacks said:
Just posting thoughts and commentary on what's been said so far. I guess I'll stick to just commenting on food places...

In regards to your housing situation, I would stay where you are. That's good you put more than 20% down.

You previously mentioned you work for a financial company. Let me ask you this, what type of financial company? The reason why I ask, because we are stock junkies/option traders/side line wannabe economists/day traders/401k gurus people over here at TI.  :)

Meh. I'm a boring dollar-cost-averaging S&P500 index investing never selling never worried about short term volatility kinda guy. It doesn't matter whether my house could sell for 20% more than what I paid, any more than it matters whether it would sell for 20% less, if I'm not selling any time soon. I expect its value to track inflation and maybe beat it by a point or two over a long period.

Thanks for responding eyephone. I can get on the what makes financial sense soap box, but you all probably know better on TI as opposed to some people my age who just love to spend and not think about their nest egg.

My company is actually in the mutual fund industry so nothing exciting such as actual stocks and day trading - that's the guys in the LA office, and if I was doing that, making waaay more $$! I know it's actively managed, but we get a break on the fees since I work there. Good, generally safe investing if you're not going to get into research/watching certain stocks like a hawk. Goal is to outpace of course inflation, and an index stock. At maybe 7%-8% annually on my investments over the last 8-10 years :p

Good perspective, perspective! All the volatility today eh, put some $$ in the market vs freaking out, we'll be trading at 22k+ on the DJIA in a couple years anyway....

BTW, you all big on Roth IRA, Roth 401k? I've only done Roth lately and love the idea of tax FREE vs tax deferred earnings. Would this potentially ever sunset/go away from a policy perspective you think?

Roth IRA is great, however there comes a point where some no longer qualify.  Or if they think they're household income is going to be drastically different then traditional IRA may make better sense. 

Ah yes, forgot about the phase out/cap on Roth. I'm all for allowing people to save (maybe just cap the contrib amount) for retirement tax free no strings attached!!

eyephone said:
scubasteve said:
Backdoor Roth...although I keep doing it wrong and have been audited twice.

Backdoor Roth? (Contribute when you can't?)

Loophole in law that says there are no income requirements for an IRA conversion. Put money into a traditional IRA and then immediately convert the account to Roth IRA. You have to pay taxes on any gains, but since you did the conversion right away, you don't have any.

Obviously, if you have been contributing to a traditional IRA, then this may not be good from tax standpoint since you have to convert the whole account.

Just start your own business and you can setup an Individual/Solo 401K like me. Can put up to $53k a year in retirement, $18k of which can be Roth if you choose. No income cap...yet.

SubSolar said:
Just start your own business and you can setup an Individual/Solo 401K like me. Can put up to $53k a year in retirement, $18k of which can be Roth if you choose. No income cap...yet.

Yup, and if you have income you can contribute to an SEP IRA too.

USCTrojanCPA said:
SubSolar said:

Yup, and if you have income you can contribute to an SEP IRA too.

Yeah, but there's no benefit to having both cause you share the same annual limit, 25% of the payroll for employer contribution if you're an S-Corp/LLC. The Individual 401K lets you do the 25% employer contribution AND up to $18,000 employee contribution.

My big fear on the Roth is at some point law makers move the goal post and go to VAT.  So I've tried to hedge on all fronts. 

So I like to think of savings in relation to 3 buckets

Pre-tax-Tax deffered-IRA/401k
After-tax-Tax exempt-ROTH IRA
After-tax-Taxable-Checking/Savings/Brokerage

AW said:
Roth IRA is great, however there comes a point where some no longer qualify.  Or if they think they're household income is going to be drastically different then traditional IRA may make better sense.

Backdoor roth?

LongIrvine said:
Are you using self directed IRA for RE investment purposes?

If I had more money than I know what to do with then yes, currently no, not quite there yet

Just saying that usually one of the greater advantages of directly owning RE is the depreciation (which wouldn't be useful in a IRA), however publicly traded REIT's would  make sense in a IRA. 

Back