Who's buying?

qwerty said:
Angels_Baseball_2015 said:
I would thank the cops and firefighters for making Irvine one of the safest cities in America, thus keeping the land values high. They should get their fair cut for keeping our property values in-tack.

you have it backwards, the cops dont have anything to do with making irvine safe. its the high income residents/schools that drive the property value up and keep the riff-raff out as test likes to say.

Not going to get into all up on the cops/firefighter/service and bureaucracy boat. But I do notice 90% of the time Irvine PD has someone pulled over (Sand Canyon north of 5), it's usually some run down jenky car (like peeling paint or bad faded after mkt paint job)......

jumpinjacks said:
qwerty said:
I would thank the cops and firefighters for making Irvine one of the safest cities in America, thus keeping the land values high. They should get their fair cut for keeping our property values in-tack.

you have it backwards, the cops dont have anything to do with making irvine safe. its the high income residents/schools that drive the property value up and keep the riff-raff out as test likes to say.

Not going to get into all up on the cops/firefighter/service and bureaucracy boat. But I do notice 90% of the time Irvine PD has someone pulled over (Sand Canyon north of 5), it's usually some run down jenky car (like peeling paint or bad faded after mkt paint job)......

But you just did....get involve  ;)

eyephone said:
jumpinjacks said:
qwerty said:

Hahah, just trying to comment if cops do indeed keep out the riff raff or it's just the home values/area itself. Now, back to the topic!

jumpinjacks said:
eyephone said:
jumpinjacks said:
qwerty said:

Hahah, just trying to comment if cops do indeed keep out the riff raff or it's just the home values/area itself. Now, back to the topic!

So what is the topic? Who has money to buy and what do people do for work?

Lets all be honest and forget trying to be PC.  Fire/cops make a ton of money for the work they do.  They (the union) capitalize and prey on peoples fears claiming public safety concerns to increase their funding and their pay.  Their salaries and benefits are an enormous drain on most city and county funds, thus taking away from other public programs including education, infrastructure, etc and leading to rises in our taxes. 

People claim these guys deserve all this but I doubt most people know what their pays and benefits are really.  We have fire/cops making 250K a year, retiring in the early 50's, making 90% of their pay in pensions (which are often much higher than their average annual salaries due to pension loading), and then on top of that they have the DROP program, which is literally double dipping on pay and pension as the SAME time.

Sure these guys are in danger(sometimes), but people make it seem like they are getting shot or getting burned to death every day.  Seriously when was the last fire you saw in your neighborhood?  (btw most forest fires are fought by hot shot crews who get paid a fraction of most fire fighters).  The truth is that fire/cops are not even in the top 10 of dangerous jobs.  Construction workers, fishermen, trashmen, farmers, truck drivers, miners and many other blue collar jobs are much much more dangerous than fire or cops.  Yet their pays are a FRACTION of cops/fire.  Furthermore if salaries were commensurated with how dangerous a job is, would you expect Irvine cops get paid minimum wage since its SUPER safe in Irvine? 

Lets be honest, most of these guys went into fire/police because for their situation the pay/benefits were the best.  Like someone mentioned before, they are not "putting their lives on the line" for altruism.  If you truly believe that, lets bring down pay/benefits to non-egregious levels and see if we still have thousands of people applying for one job and see if we still have cheating/nepotism in our fire departments.

BTW my opinion in this matter is not limited to cops and fire, but rather with most county/city employees who are over paid such as those thieves at the DWP,  So please do not think I have it out for jsut fire/cops.  I simply have an issue with public funds being misused. 

hello said:
Lets all be honest and forget trying to be PC.  Fire/cops make a ton of money for the work they do.  They (the union) capitalize and prey on peoples fears claiming public safety concerns to increase their funding and their pay.  Their salaries and benefits are an enormous drain on most city and county funds, thus taking away from other public programs including education, infrastructure, etc and leading to rises in our taxes. 

People claim these guys deserve all this but I doubt most people know what their pays and benefits are really.  We have fire/cops making 250K a year, retiring in the early 50's, making 90% of their pay in pensions (which are often much higher than their average annual salaries due to pension loading), and then on top of that they have the DROP program, which is literally double dipping on pay and pension as the SAME time.

Sure these guys are in danger(sometimes), but people make it seem like they are getting shot or getting burned to death every day.  Seriously when was the last fire you saw in your neighborhood?  (btw most forest fires are fought by hot shot crews who get paid a fraction of most fire fighters).  The truth is that fire/cops are not even in the top 10 of dangerous jobs.  Construction workers, fishermen, trashmen, farmers, truck drivers, miners and many other blue collar jobs are much much more dangerous than fire or cops.  Yet their pays are a FRACTION of cops/fire.  Furthermore if salaries were commensurated with how dangerous a job is, would you expect Irvine cops get paid minimum wage since its SUPER safe in Irvine? 

Lets be honest, most of these guys went into fire/police because for their situation the pay/benefits were the best.  Like someone mentioned before, they are not "putting their lives on the line" for altruism.  If you truly believe that, lets bring down pay/benefits to non-egregious levels and see if we still have thousands of people applying for one job and see if we still have cheating/nepotism in our fire departments.

BTW my opinion in this matter is not limited to cops and fire, but rather with most county/city employees who are over paid such as those thieves at the DWP,  So please do not think I have it out for jsut fire/cops.  I simply have an issue with public funds being misused.

250k??  More like 350k instead:http://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2013/irvine/maggard-david/

But I'd rather be Irvine's city manager:http://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2013/irvine/joyce-sean/

Paris said:
Perspective said:
Yep, you'll never hear me worshiping any profession as "heroes." We're all doing jobs we chose. That's pretty much it.

When people put their life on the line in service of society I think that warrants some respect. Us as bankers, physicans, execs sitting in cushy offices are not the same as a street cop that may get shot just pulling someone over for a traffic ticket, a fire fighter that may get scorched in some house fire, a soldier out on the field. They chose to put their life on the line to serve society in the form of protection. Most of us would not put ourselves or our children in that position but we NEED people like that - their roles in society are extremely important and undervalued because it does not require as much education as professional fields. But just that high "risk" they are taking alone warrants a higher payscale in my opinion - I would demand that if I'm putting my life on the line every day to serve society. Wouldn't you?
We are so detached from that world it is sad. Just wait for the next September 11th because that day will come and sadly it takes "that" next terrorist attack to realize how important these professions are in society, how much we do need police officers, fire fighters, Marines, Army, Navy.  Who did we look to on 9/11, the Boston Bombings - it was the first responders. If we didn't have those people there so many more would have lost their lives.
I get your point but to be honest though, if they are doing their jobs setpember/11 shouldn't have happen in first place...  :eek:

You can't  blame 9/11 on the police and fire fighters. It was an intelligence failure.

Roger said:
Paris said:
Perspective said:
Yep, you'll never hear me worshiping any profession as "heroes." We're all doing jobs we chose. That's pretty much it.

When people put their life on the line in service of society I think that warrants some respect. Us as bankers, physicans, execs sitting in cushy offices are not the same as a street cop that may get shot just pulling someone over for a traffic ticket, a fire fighter that may get scorched in some house fire, a soldier out on the field. They chose to put their life on the line to serve society in the form of protection. Most of us would not put ourselves or our children in that position but we NEED people like that - their roles in society are extremely important and undervalued because it does not require as much education as professional fields. But just that high "risk" they are taking alone warrants a higher payscale in my opinion - I would demand that if I'm putting my life on the line every day to serve society. Wouldn't you?
We are so detached from that world it is sad. Just wait for the next September 11th because that day will come and sadly it takes "that" next terrorist attack to realize how important these professions are in society, how much we do need police officers, fire fighters, Marines, Army, Navy.  Who did we look to on 9/11, the Boston Bombings - it was the first responders. If we didn't have those people there so many more would have lost their lives.
I get your point but to be honest though, if they are doing their jobs setpember/11 shouldn't have happen in first place...  :eek:

qwerty said:
Perspective said:
Were I King of My Utopia, I'd redirect 33% of fire department budgets and 70% of the military industrial complex budget toward public school budgets, but that's just me...

i dont know about firefighter budgets but i agree about the military. i have seen the bloated DOD budgets first hand and we spend way too much on military. as stated, redirect that to schools and we would have the smartest kids and best schools in the world. instead its just another form of public welfare.
http://comptroller.defense.gov/Port...y2015/fy2015_Budget_Request_Overview_Book.pdf

DOD budget is very political in that senators/legislators want to bring/keep defense jobs in their district.  That is why the F-35 fighter is being built in 45 states.  In fact, the secretary of defense has been asking for less money (and redirectly from equipment costs to human pay/benefits) but Congress refuses to reduce the budget.

I am all for education funding though...most teachers and educators I know are very dedicated at their jobs and their desire to help children.

hello said:

It isn't that cops or firefighters are especially greedy.  Everyone is greedy.  It's just that they have powerful unions that enable the extravagant compensation.  The problem is labor laws that favor of unions, not cops and firefighters.

Me mid 20s, buy 800k+ home with cash. work in tech. get average payment. went to UCI. got master degree. ...my parents are rich

ukuoy said:
Me mid 20s, buy 800k+ home with cash. work in tech. get average payment. went to UCI. got master degree. ...my parents are rich

just missing one line to be the perfect life : paid every penny by yourself.

I think he was trying to answer the question of what do people do to afford Irvine houses? And his answer was, I was born rich.  At least he's honest.  I have yet to meet a person in Irvine who actually saved up, all by himself without any help from family, the full 20% downpayment money for a $800K+ house and is still in his mid-20s, and have an income that can qualify for a $600K+ mortgage.  I guess it's doable if you are married by your mid-20s, and have decent double income.

I think he was trying to answer the question of what do people do to afford Irvine houses? And his answer was, I was born rich.  At least he's honest.  I have yet to meet a person in Irvine who actually saved up, all by himself without any help from family, the full 20% downpayment money for a $800K+ house and is still in his mid-20s, and have an income that can qualify for a $600K+ mortgage.  I guess it's doable if you are married by your mid-20s, and have decent double income.

Pretty sure the dude who posted the "me buy house for $800K and am mid 20's" was trolling the thread and was not posting an honest answer. Pretty weak and unfunny troll attempt to. That dude needs to up his troll game.

This person doesn't exist, without help from family. If you could find this extremely rare person, you would discover that although no downpayment help came from family, parents sacrificed huge amounts of time and money to get him/her through a great college and likely grad school debt-free with a marketable degree which created the huge income in his/her twenties. The family would also have provided housing after college. All of this family help would have created the conditions necessary to save for a huge downpayment at such a young age.

Additionally, this person would very likely be married to someone very similar ("assortative mating").

Perspective said:

This person doesn't exist, without help from family. If you could find this extremely rare person, you would discover that although no downpayment help came from family, parents sacrificed huge amounts of time and money to get him/her through a great college and likely grad school debt-free with a marketable degree which created the huge income in his/her twenties. The family would also have provided housing after college. All of this family help would have created the conditions necessary to save for a huge downpayment at such a young age.

Additionally, this person would very likely be married to someone very similar ("assortative mating").

This person definitely exists. And there is definitely more than one.

Back