Which shutter co. should I go with?

irvinehomeowner said:
How do the outside vendor prices compare to the design center prices?

The Taylor Morrison DC I didn't even ask about the shutters so not sure. Since golden west does the shutters for some of the builders including TM the golden west guy said there is a 50% markup so he quoted me around $6500 so through DC must be at least $10k

OC shutters had overstated the square footage while Golden West had measured it correctly in our case.
The golden west owner is old and cranky and just not a good salesman but his shutters are superior quality.
By the way we have decided to do traditional shutters as  well, just do not like the appearance of clear view.

barton said:
The golden west owner is old and cranky and just not a good salesman but his shutters are superior quality.

Ha ha, that's so true.  I had the same impression with Golden West's owner Dave and he even forget to bring his ruler on the first appointment.  But since they did the shutter for the model home, he had pretty good idea of the window measurement. 

Window Decorators for us. We got them down to the best price compared to everyone else, installers were courteous and professional, and the product is well made. Only small drawback would probably be the longer wait time. I'll wait the extra couple weeks for the savings $$$.

barton said:
OC shutters had overstated the square footage while Golden West had measured it correctly in our case.
By the way we have decided to do traditional shutters as  well, just do not like the appearance of clear view.

We'll between OC shutters, Goldenwest and WD I got the very cheapest price from OC shutters so no matter which way they measured they still gave us an excellent price. I just couldn't justify paying $1500 extra for Goldenwest no matter how amazing their shutters

Dave from Golden West drives a new Land Rover Evoque... His margins must be high.  I told him even if he's making a killing he should get an F150 to drive to his estimates or people will think he's ripping them off.

He didn't even grin.

aquabliss said:
Dave from Golden West drives a new Land Rover Evoque... His margins must be high.  I told him even if he's making a killing he should get an F150 to drive to his estimates or people will think he's ripping them off.

He didn't even grin.

Lol, I thought the same thing when I saw him rolling up in that. I thought well there goes the extra $1500 to his car payment.

Perception is so important in marketing/sales.  I wonder how many orders he lost driving that new landrover.

one of the partners i used to work with at a big 4 firm would drive an old japanese SUV so his clients wouldnt see directly how much money he was making off of them, or at least throw it in their face. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Still waiting for Window Decorators to return my email...

They are so MIA! I can't believe that after they emailed me a quote they didn't check back even once to follow up. Terrible customer service. No way I was going to order from them.

Paris said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Still waiting for Window Decorators to return my email...

They are so MIA! I can't believe that after they emailed me a quote they didn't check back even once to follow up. Terrible customer service. No way I was going to order from them.

ok.  just a public service announcement.  we're also in the process of getting quotes from various vendors, one of them windows decorators.  a couple days ago, the owners of windows decorators, traci and max, came by to give us a quote.  it turns out that max is a registered sex offender (http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/CA1869408334903/Francis-Maxwell-Glendenning.html).  so far, their quote is the cheapest, but we've decided not to use them.  i'm lucky that my wife and kids weren't home during the consult, i'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.  so now you know.  use them or not, that's up to you guys.

@alv, thanks for the PSA, that's pretty disturbing.

How did you find out?  People don't usually check the vendor's criminal background and especially sex related offenses. 

lnc said:

How did you find out?  People don't usually check the vendor's criminal background and especially sex related offenses.

Our designer was checking on how reputable window decorators was and a vendor she worked with prior mentioned it.

alv said:
lnc said:

Our designer was checking on how reputable window decorators was and a vendor she worked with prior mentioned it.

wow so glad I didn't go with them now. When these random people come into your home who knows what their background is like - I guess we should all be vigilant. I defiitely got a weird vibe from him - now I know why

Back