Where should I buy in irvine with 2 million dollars?

mikeirvine

Hi

Where should I buy in Irvine with 2 million dollars cash and I prefer all cash or 80% down.
I currently own a new 2800sf in Woodbury for over a year, and Love my current house and not planning to sell it ..... just want something bigger and better ( view, schools ) for my kids below 10.

I'm looking at turtle ridge and quail hill now and maybe shady canyon but the prices are over $2m.

Any down side about TR or shady Canyon ?

Thanks,
Mike

Turtle Ridge has nice views, but it's kind of isolated and too close to the former dump.  I haven't seen a lot of the houses, but the ones I did seemed rather dark.  Didn't get enough daylight sun for some reason.  Shady Canyon seems too overpriced and I don't think the views in most of the less expensive homes are that great.  Turtle Rock has aging houses that need tons of work and you would probably have to spend a lot of money for a remodel (anyone know how much)?

For $2 million to spend, why limit yourself to just Irvine?  For that money you can get a nice home in other parts of the county that have great schools and ocean views.

If you had to be in Irvine... Quail Hill for newer... Turtle Rock for older.

So where have you been mikeinirvine? 2800sft is too small? Man... you must be bigger than me.

Someone called me and another board member "mikeirvine 2012".  You must be that Mike.  I wasn't around in 2010, so I don't know what occurred back then, but I'm gonna assume there must have been some debate on a real estate topic. 

Anyway, it looks like you're doing well and cash is not a problem.  If it were me and I had that type of cabbage to spend on a home and wanted to stay in Irvine, I would sell your current house.  Take that money and increase your price range.  I think there might be some empty lots left in Shady, but aren't sure, and the last time I looked the empty lots were going for around $1.5M.  I would buy an empty lot and build a custom home on a huge plot of land.  You get a home that's exactly the way you want and privacy to boot.

Also, and this is none of my business, if I had that type of coin, I would just send my kids to Pegasus or Fairmont and not worry about public schools.

buy 2 adjacent lots in the Hill in Lambert Ranch and create your family compound. You get both city lights view and view of the largest man-made mountain in Irvine.

Hi guys

In 2010 I was here talking about buying a new home with mostly cash and now 2012, I'm looking for another with a bit more cash. I go on forum to get advice before I make any big purchase and that always work for me..... Thanks u guys for the past advices in 2010. Me and my wife really like our current home and not intend to sell it....as it's our first purchase home.

cash buy works for us and irvine is where my wife and kids love to be, I prefer neaer to the ocean but not for now. We don't want to go over 2 million as it high to maintain.

I will be looking at turtle ridge and shady canyon this weekend, I'm not in the rush to buy hopefully within a year.

Can anyone provide more information on the old dump near turtle ridge and what are the pro and cons about TR and shady. TR homes are built in 2002 to 2005 and their bed rooms are smaller and ceiling are not that high. My main concern about shady canyon is I will be the poorest there and don't want my kids to feel the pressure.

Too bad BK is not here In TI to give me a fews tips.

Thanks again for all the advice
Mike

mikeirvine said:
Hi guys

In 2010 I was here talking about buying a new home with mostly cash and now 2012, I'm looking for another with a bit more cash. I go on forum to get advice before I make any big purchase and that always work for me..... Thanks u guys for the past advices in 2010. Me and my wife really like our current home and not intend to sell it....as it's our first purchase home.

cash buy works for us and irvine is where my wife and kids love to be, I prefer neaer to the ocean but not for now. We don't want to go over 2 million as it high to maintain.

I will be looking at turtle ridge and shady canyon this weekend, I'm not in the rush to buy hopefully within a year.

Can anyone provide more information on the old dump near turtle ridge and what are the pro and cons about TR and shady. TR homes are built in 2002 to 2005 and their bed rooms are smaller and ceiling are not that high. My main concern about shady canyon is I will be the poorest there and don't want my kids to feel the pressure.

Mike
There are no homes for sale in Shady Canyon for $2M or less so you can eliminate that from the list.  The homes are start in the mid-to-high $2m range.  You might also want to consider Quail Hill besides Turtle Ridge.

thanks USCTrojanCPA .... Shady canyon have some low 2million one a while but get snatch up fast. I haven't been in shady canyon before will see how I like it these weekends.... Maybe I can stretch a bit more cash selling my "facebook shares".

I prefer TR environment over quail hill and the TR home lots I was looking are bigger and better views both built around 2005. But I do like the single storey Quail hill home on the very top away from the cable lines for 1.5 m.

Turtle rock homes are too old and newport is not my cup of tea .... I prefer laguna beach but not for now.
lambert ranch are out because of the dump.

Mike

USCTrojanCPA said:
mikeirvine said:
Hi guys

Mike
There are no homes for sale in Shady Canyon for $2M or less so you can eliminate that from the list.  The homes are start in the mid-to-high $2m range.  You might also want to consider Quail Hill besides Turtle Ridge.

Back