Where is Irvine's "downtown"?

Where is Downtown Irvine?

• Irvine Business Center (centered around MacArthur/Jamboree/405)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Irvine Spectrum

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
do you mean there really is a shuttle other than the one for the employees that they are using right now during construction?
Not sure if it's still there, but during the holidays, there used to be a free shopper shuttle that went from Target to the opposite end where Wood Ranch is.

Ha - that shuttle at the Spectrum is nothing like the Grove.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
do you mean there really is a shuttle other than the one for the employees that they are using right now during construction?
Not sure if it's still there, but during the holidays, there used to be a free shopper shuttle that went from Target to the opposite end where Wood Ranch is.

That's why I put "trolley" in quotes (if I remember correctly, they make it look like a trolley). And technically, the trolley at the Grove is useless... you can walk where it goes much faster (esp considering how long the line gets).

I think the kid train at the Spectrum travels farther than the Grove's trolley. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:

Ah, okay. Yeah, to my knowledge, that is not there. I actually haven't seen it when I was there a few days prior to Christmas either, however I tend to avoid all stores the month of December so maybe I missed it.

They could & should also improve the walkways @ the Spectrum. It must have been a man who decided to use something similar to cobblestone. Derp!! 1 free "thank you" will be given to the first man on T.I. who can guess why!

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:

That's why I put "trolley" in quotes (if I remember correctly, they make it look like a trolley). And technically, the trolley at the Grove is useless... you can walk where it goes much faster (esp considering how long the line gets).

I think the kid train at the Spectrum travels farther than the Grove's trolley. :)

You say "useless", but the line to ride the trolley at the Grove is at times long. I see kids excited in the line and on the trolley. Better yet I even see adults going bananas (shoving) to get on trolley. It's the "experience" riding the trolley. Just to see my little one having a huge smile on the trolley, is priceless to me.

Btw - there is a live feed of the trolley at the Grove website (front and back of the trolley) If it is not in service, you can see the previous footage, it says the trolley is now parked please visit again.

The Grove Fountain - built by WET design, the same company that built the fountains at the Bellagio (LV). There's also a live feed of the fountain.

I've seen employees of South Coast Plaza following well-heeled shoppers around carrying their purchase for them.  I'm sure the concierge at the Spectrum can set you up for that as well.

Happiness said:
I've seen employees of South Coast Plaza following well-heeled shoppers around carrying their purchase for them.  I'm sure the concierge at the Spectrum can set you up for that as well.

please dont confuse me as a SCP employee because i follow my wife and carry her shopping bags :)

eyephone said:
You say "useless", but the line to ride the trolley at the Grove is at times long. I see kids excited in the line and on the trolley. Better yet I even see adults going bananas (shoving) to get on trolley. It's the "experience" riding the trolley. Just to see my little have a huge smile on the trolley, is priceless to me.
Yes... useless... that's why I said "technically". From a function standpoint, it doesn't really have a purpose, unlike the shuttle at the Spectrum that you said is "nothing", however it provides more function than the Grove trolley.

For entertainment, it's okay, even my kids had to ride on it once,but not really worth that long line (like Disneyland). If you want to see a better smile, go to San Francisco where the trolleys are not only a more entertaining ride... but they actually get you somewhere.
The Grove Fountain - built by WET design, the same company that built the fountains at the Bellagio (LV). There's also a live feed of the fountain.
That fountain is awesome. I also like the little fake park area they have in the middle. The  Grove is nice, but on top of the hassle of getting there, you also have to pay for parking. The kids probably enjoyed going to the Promenade more, especially with all the street performers.

Happiness said:

Yeah, the stores are good about offering a Carry-Out. Unless I'm doing one big purchase at a single store, I decline their offer because I'm usually doing multiple purchases at 3-4 stores and I want to hit them all up in a row before I return to the car instead of walking back to the car 4 times. That would take up a lot of time. I hadn't thought of checking with concierge but good idea, I could consider it. This is one thing I miss about indoor malls. Air-conditioned. Don't have to walk a mile in 100 degree heat. Carpeted or smooth walking surfaces. Not as spread out, less walking...

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
You say "useless", but the line to ride the trolley at the Grove is at times long. I see kids excited in the line and on the trolley. Better yet I even see adults going bananas (shoving) to get on trolley. It's the "experience" riding the trolley. Just to see my little have a huge smile on the trolley, is priceless to me.
Yes... useless... that's why I said "technically". From a function standpoint, it doesn't really have a purpose, unlike the shuttle at the Spectrum that you said is "nothing", however it provides more function than the Grove trolley.

For entertainment, it's okay, even my kids had to ride on it once,but not really worth that long line (like Disneyland). If you want to see a better smile, go to San Francisco where the trolleys are not only a more entertaining ride... but they actually get you somewhere.
That fountain is awesome. I also like the little fake park area they have in the middle. The  Grove is nice, but on top of the hassle of getting there, you also have to pay for parking. The kids probably enjoyed going to the Promenade more, especially with all the street performers.
The parking fee is nominal. Doesn't break the bank, for most cases. The first hour is Free, 2 hour $4, first 2 hours with validation is free.

I've always considered IBC "Downtown" Irvine, however with the changes to spectrum (expansion), new TIC apts, and 200 Spectrum center, I think Spectrum will be the new "Downtown".

It's more of an "Uptown" and "Downtown" dichotomy now (but with reversed direction).

Employment in the IBC feels more "traditional" and "older" (think finance, banking). Employment in Spectrum skews younger (think tech, bio sciences). Amenities in Spectrum definitely outweigh IBC.

So all in all, Baker Ranch wins ;-)

irvinehomeowner said:
While pavers are bad on heels, it's easier to maintain, change configuration, or access below ground plumbing/wiring/etc.

Ding, ding, ding! A man with a clue! That's right, difficult to walk in heels. Which is nuts because I'll bet MOST of their clientele is female. Plus, even if you wear flats for shopping, there are all the date-night spots where you want to dress up. I don't know why they can't just make at least a narrow, flat tile runner at least on the sides of the walkways or through it.

eclipxe said:
I've always considered IBC "Downtown" Irvine, however with the changes to spectrum (expansion), new TIC apts, and 200 Spectrum center, I think Spectrum will be the new "Downtown".

I was just at the Spectrum on Friday except this time I was coming from Quail Hill and driving east on Alton when I noticed all of that construction across the street from the Spectrum, on the north side of Alton. Is that what that is - apartments?? Or is it something else??

SoCal said:
eclipxe said:

I was just at the Spectrum on Friday except this time I was coming from Quail Hill and driving east on Alton when I noticed all of that construction across the street from the Spectrum, on the north side of Alton. Is that what that is - apartments?? Or is it something else??

Construction on Alton are apartments. 200 Spectrum is new office tower (tallest in OC). See here:http://orangecountydensedevelopment.blogspot.com/2015/01/irvine-200-spectrum-center-upcoming.html

On the other side of the 405 is the Los Olivos Marketplace construction with Whole Foods/etc

irvinehomeowner said:
While pavers are bad on heels, it's easier to maintain, change configuration, or access below ground plumbing/wiring/etc.

Is that from the personal experience?  :)

Back