Where do most you non-FCBs go grocery shopping?

Our go to is Trader's (eggs, bananas, bagged greens, mushrooms) and Sprouts (most other veggies, meat, dairy) for weekly shopping. Between those and the once a week or every other week trips to Costco and Target, I don't go to a "traditional" Stater's, Albertsons, Ralphs or etc very often, maybe once every month, if that for something specific.

We don't have many asian grocery markets close, otherwise we would frequent them more (we're in Lake Forest). We are currently just starting with a weekly box subscription, Marley Box and that's maybe $60-$70 a week for 3-4 dinners a week with leftovers for 1-2 lunches. It's cheaper than eating out and we're getting flavorful and healthy food at good quality - wild shrimp and heritage berkshire pork. We'll likely move down to 1-2 boxes a month in the future.

I recently heard the most horrific thing from 2 different people, who don't even know each other, within a span of a day (1 white guy who is a new meat & seafood man at my grocery store, 1 mexican lady). They were asking me if I'd ever been to an asian grocer like the ones in Irvine they mentioned. I said no, I've never been to one. They both said they take a live fish and beat it over the head until it dies. They were shocked. Even the meat & seafood worker was surprised by this when he saw it happen. It's kind of funny they both happened to mention it but I'm grateful they did. The day may eventually come when I wander into one of these markets and see them violently beating up fish. I would definitely struggle with that.

SoCal said:
I recently heard the most horrific thing from 2 different people, who don't even know each other, within a span of a day (1 white guy who is a new meat & seafood man at my grocery store, 1 mexican lady). They were asking me if I'd ever been to an asian grocer like the ones in Irvine they mentioned. I said no, I've never been to one. They both said they take a live fish and beat it over the head until it dies. They were shocked. Even the meat & seafood worker was surprised by this when he saw it happen. It's kind of funny they both happened to mention it but I'm grateful they did. The day may eventually come when I wander into one of these markets and see them violently beating up fish. I would definitely struggle with that.

Yea I saw that at the 99 Ranch.  Guess it's the most efficient way to dispatch a live fish - percussive stunning.  The other would be to stick a needle into the fish's brain, but that's a lot harder to do while the fish is moving.

SoCal said:

It's usually 2 whacks to the head.  Same thing crew members do when you catch live fish on a fishing trip.  I'm not sure how else you would kill live fish???

SoCal said:

later on that evening the fish was grilled and eaten.  Doesn't get more barbaric than that. 

woodburyowner said:
It's usually 2 whacks to the head.  Same thing crew members do when you catch live fish on a fishing trip.  I'm not sure how else you would kill live fish???

The grocery stores I shop at already have the fish cleaned, de-boned, and filleted by the time they're at the counter. You may sometimes see whole fish (dead, gutted) on ice. I've never seen one that saves the killing or gutting & cleaning for the store let alone the counter in front of customers.

As far as the killing goes, I don't fish, but I've lived here in Orange County my entire life... it seems like whenever you go to the pier and see fisherman cleaning their catch in the "do not clean here" zones, I think they cut the throat area and sever the spine. I've never seen anyone beat a fish in the head with a club before. Maybe they have beat them without a club and I've simply never noticed it. Either way, it's definitely not performed anywhere near the seafood counter, that's for sure.

Well, people who eat fish really should not complain when they witness the method of killing.  Same way, people who eat meat cannot complain when they are subject to butchers at work.

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:

later on that evening the fish was grilled and eaten.  Doesn't get more barbaric than that.

Yep, customers like their seafood fresh.  Fish, crabs, lobsters. You can either steam it or fry it (they have a picture of what you want to discard on the fish, fins, tail, head).

Not just Asian markets either, have heard some American restaurants, you choose the live lobster before you consume it for dinner...

I sometimes go sports fishing out of Davey's Locker or Newport Landing.  After the day is over, the deckhands take the fish out and filet it live in front of you.  It makes the boat ride back to the dock more interesting.

AW said:
Not just Asian markets either, have heard some American restaurants, you choose the live lobster before you consume it for dinner...

Yes, yes, whatever happened to those?! Gosh, as a kid, I would spend inordinate amounts of time marveling at the lobsters tanks. With my nose a quarter inch from the glass and their beady little eyes meeting mine, I ranked them by best "personality". I would inevitably fall in love with the winner, feeling convinced it was mutual.

We're talking regular stores here like Vons, Albertson's, etc. I never do see those anymore.

I have no problem on how they kill fish @ 99 Ranch. The problem is the smell of the place, not sure if it has anything to do with selling fish, but it stinks inside....

Eao, I was wondering the same thing. It reeks at places along the beach where people gut fish. And that's outside. I can only imagine what it smells like inside the store.

Back