What's your favorite Irvine restaurant?

O Hills

I realize this is a "tallest midget" type question, but am getting getting tired of the same handful of places we always hit.
Since we have three kids, our choices are limited (no high-end for us).

Where do you all like to go with your kids for a quick/fairly quick meal?

Most of the dishes are good at Fukada.  The combo's are prices well and you'll leave full.  I usually get the pork cutlet.  The dishes come out very quick.  The problem with Fukada is the wait, which can be quite long on weekends.  We almost always arrive before opening and get 1st seating. 

ps9 said:
We use to go to Fuk quite a bit, until they switched the draft to Asahi from Kirin.
Dude, both of those beers are mediocre.  It's like saying I stopped going to x restaurant cuz they switched from Coors to Miller. ;)

Light lagers pair better with Japanese food,  Kirin is brewed local, and you can't beat fresh brewed.  Asahi/Sapporo has to make the trek across the pacific.  Majority of Asian beers don't fare well during the journey and has the characteristic skunky taste.  I had Asahi in Japan before, it taste nothing like what we get here. 

And what's wrong with Coors and Miller?  I enjoy both beers, sometimes you just want cheap simplicity.  Beer snobs are worse than wine snobs :)

OCgasman said:
Fast food: In-N-Out, Mitsuwa food court, Chick Fil A

Sit down:  Curry House, Fukada

Agree with all of the above, want to add:

Pho Bac,  Tang 190, Oriental Seafood Noodle House, California Fish Grill, Luna Grill, Mod Pizza (pitcher of IPA for $12!), dimsum at the Capital Spectrum (they take open table reservations)

What food genre are we looking for here that's kid friendly?

And what is "high-end"? Farmie goes to high-end like most people go to fast food.

irvinehomeowner said:
What food genre are we looking for here that's kid friendly?

And what is "high-end"? Farmie goes to high-end like most people go to fast food.

Suggestions in any/all genres would be great.
We've hit just about everything in TMP several times, so we're not that discriminating. 

By "high-end," I was thinking Ruth's Chris/Mortons/Mastros etc., but could be anything that doesnt have a kid's menu.  ;)

Depends on which part of irvine?  And the age of the three kids

I'll second luna grill.  Tender greens works well too

Over by orchard hills in the shopping center is la sienna kind of an organic Mexican.  And a zov's neighborhood cafe.  Closer to the airport near jamboree is inka grill in case you want paella oe Peruvian stews and curries or Central Americans stir frys.

Peeling a little further over into Costa Mesa/Newport you get Plums and Haute Cakes

And if you want to go nuts cut over to orange on Tustin ave and hit green tomato grill

Luna is pricey for counter order casual.

But the kids meals there are a good bargain (good portion and includes the drink)... I see many non-kids order them (mostly teenagers/young adults).

Luna grill has been better lately, the last two times we had it, the chicken was cooked perfectly juicy.  We even got the kids meal hamburger once, not bad at all.

Fukada is carb city, double fisting rice bowl and bowl of noodles.  It does feel a little pricey sometimes because there's not much protein.  But it does hit the spot on a cool day and want some comfort (carby) food.  The nabeyaki udon in the clay pot is my favorite.

List some Asian restaurant i like:
Thai: Thai Kitchen
Japan: Mitsuwa food court
China: Tasty Garden
Vietnam: pho ba co
Korea: Tang190

Korean:  Yigah
Chinese:  Depending on what you're looking for.
101 Noodle/Capital Seafood/SW/Tasty Garden/Tasty Noodles
Korea BBQ:  All that BBQ
Japanese:  Mitsuwa food court/Makino
Vietnamese:  Pho Ha Noi/Pearl Saigon (but we really go out to GG for the "real" stuff).
Mexican:  La Sirena
Kid:  Corner Bakery

Semi-special occasion:  Cheesecake Factory
Special occasion:  Flemings/Maestros.

Chinese - Capital and Oriental Seafood Noodle..
Korean - Tang and Kaju
Vietnamese - Thuan Kieu Noodle Grill
Japanese - Fukada
Indian - Annapoornas
Mexican - Santa Ana

Quick someone start a "What's your least favorite restaurant in Irvine"!

I'll have to check out Oriental Seafood Noodle, never heard of it.

Some cheap bites:

Japanese: Yen Sushi, Tomikawa
Hot sandwiches: Le Diplomate
Pizza: Pielogy

My favorite luxury restaurant is Ruth's Chris. It's actually not that bad if you split a ribeye with the Misses (they usually can't or don't want to eat 16 ounces of steak anyway). We also get water, a side or two and no dessert. Waiters must hate us but oh well.

SubSolar said:
I'll have to check out Oriental Seafood Noodle, never heard of it.

Some cheap bites:

Japanese: Yen Sushi, Tomikawa
Hot sandwiches: Le Diplomate
Pizza: Pielogy

My favorite luxury restaurant is Ruth's Chris. It's actually not that bad if you split a ribeye with the Misses (they usually can't or don't want to eat 16 ounces of steak anyway). We also get water, a side or two and no dessert. Waiters must hate us but oh well.

Might as well order off the kids menu  :p

Back