What Temperature do you set your Air Conditioning at during Summer?

When you're at home, what temp is your A/C at?

• 65-68

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 69-72

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 73-76

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • 77-80

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • A/C is for 1%ers, I just open the window.

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
73 during daytime. 68 for the few hours before heading to bed. I'm a very sensitive sleeper and the sound of air moving is annoying to me when trying to go to sleep, so we usually shut if off before going to bed. When the nights cool off to around 60 or so, we'll open the windows at night. But, these past few weeks, nights haven't been cooling off much beyond 70, and the humidity makes things miserable.

Kind of a weird question but let's say outside temp is 80f.  Assume your thermostat activates when the inside temperature goes 1f above the current setting.  Also assume your AC stops running when it hits the desired temperature.  I know these all work slightly different but let's just assume this for the sake of this argument. 

Scenario A
You come in the house and it's 80f.  Set your thermostat to 75f and it runs for 15 minutes until it hits 75f.  Then 10 minutes later it goes up to 76f so it runs again (say 5 minutes) until it goes back to 75f, at which point it turns on.

Scenario B
You come in the house and it's 80f.  You set your thermostat to 70f and it runs for 30 minutes until it hits 70f.  Then 10 minutes later it goes up to 71f so it runs again (say 5 minutes) until it goes back to 70f, at which point it turns off.

In scenario B, are you really only paying more for the initial run of 15 minutes vs. 30 minutes?  Or does the fact that you have the thermostat set lower mean that it will raise 1f at a much faster rate than scenario A, causing the AC to trigger many more times throughout the day?

Anyone know any formula to determine how much quick it rises based on the current degree setting vs. outside temperature?  This would be an  interesting study, but I don't want to waste my $ to perform it... :)

I don't think there's a formula as it depends on too many variables, your ac, ducting, insulation, sq ft, size of rooms, etc etc. also if you have dual zone and other doodads
But I would think it's both, you set it lower, you'll get charged that extra 15 mins in that scenario, and it'll kick on much sooner if it sets lower if lets say you have poor hvac efficiency, trigger more times a day

aquabliss said:
Kind of a weird question but let's say outside temp is 80f.  Assume your thermostat activates when the inside temperature goes 1f above the current setting.  Also assume your AC stops running when it hits the desired temperature.  I know these all work slightly different but let's just assume this for the sake of this argument. 

Scenario A
You come in the house and it's 80f.  Set your thermostat to 75f and it runs for 15 minutes until it hits 75f.  Then 10 minutes later it goes up to 76f so it runs again (say 5 minutes) until it goes back to 75f, at which point it turns on.

Scenario B
You come in the house and it's 80f.  You set your thermostat to 70f and it runs for 30 minutes until it hits 70f.  Then 10 minutes later it goes up to 71f so it runs again (say 5 minutes) until it goes back to 70f, at which point it turns off.

In scenario B, are you really only paying more for the initial run of 15 minutes vs. 30 minutes?  Or does the fact that you have the thermostat set lower mean that it will raise 1f at a much faster rate than scenario A, causing the AC to trigger many more times throughout the day?

Anyone know any formula to determine how much quick it rises based on the current degree setting vs. outside temperature?  This would be an  interesting study, but I don't want to waste my $ to perform it... :)

Assuming the same outside temp, Once AC is off, I think it will take a shorter time for the temperature to move from 70 back to 71 compared to 75-76.  I think your AC also has to work harder to move the temperature from 71 to 70, than 76 to 75. 

GH said:
aquabliss said:

Scenario A

Scenario B

Assuming the same outside temp, Once AC is off, I think it will take a shorter time for the temperature to move from 70 back to 71 compared to 75-76.  I think your AC also has to work harder to move the temperature from 71 to 70, than 76 to 75.

Agreed. The A/C has to work exponentially harder the lower you go.

Anyone not using a/c at all, wonder what their bill would be...  What is the theoretical limit/minimum?

dealcatcher said:
GH said:
aquabliss said:

Scenario A

Scenario B

Agreed. The A/C has to work exponentially harder the lower you go.

The room temperature also goes up faster the more difference there is between the outdoor temp and indoor temp, hence more cycles running the greater the temperature difference.

We do not have much difference in the bill as during summers if it is AC , so winters have heaters. It is we check for the efficiency of the device every time and get the Edison hvac service   in intervals to avoid extra expenses in repair.

We are considering a whole house fan. For about 1K it suppose to cool down the house dramatically without the AC. The idea is to run it for about 1/2 an hour to vacate the hot air out of the house that stagnate and trap inside during the day. Then kick on the AC so the AC usage is way down since the trapped hot air is blown out by the whole house fan.

Back