What kind of home plan do you prefer? (Redux)

Ok, here's my list...

1) 3-4 beds, 3 baths with a downstairs 3/4+ bath
2) downstairs bedroom  (my dad's arthritis is pretty bad nowadays  :()
3) laundry upstairs
4) FULL driveway
5) No motorcourt
6) detached home or condo
7) at least a small yard
8 ) lots of windows so it gets good light
9) 1,800+ SF
10)  Kitchen with an island

One thing I can't stand- when two-story homes have a nook for a dining room instead of a proper dining room with 4 walls.  For example, when one wall of the "dining room" is the staircase leading to the second floor.  I see this in homes with large sq footage too (3400 sq feet), not just smaller homes trying to fit in a dining room.

abcd1234 said:
One thing I can't stand- when two-story homes have a nook for a dining room instead of a proper dining room with 4 walls.  For example, when one wall of the "dining room" is the staircase leading to the second floor.  I see this in homes with large sq footage too (3400 sq feet), not just smaller homes trying to fit in a dining room.

I'm with you.  The "room" next the the staircase always feel compressed.  Besides that the staircase is one of the most hectic place of the house - people are always in a rush to go up or down.  You really need some separation between the staircase and any real living space.  Squeezing in a dinning room next to the staircase is just bad design, esp. with 3000+sqft homes that's just no excuse.

irvinehomeowner said:
wacoonist said:
How about the Casita for extended guest or home office?  It seems to be quite popular for the 1M+ homes?
We used to want this... but more to rent out (or else how else could you afford that $1m+ mortgage?).

We lived in a house with one... and it ended up never getting used. I think having a downstairs space with a separate external entrance is useful but there should also be some access to the main home to offer functionality for people who don't use it as an office or guest suite.

That's what I thought, w/o covered access to the main house, it's going to end up being a storage, a very expensive storage.

iacrenter said:
TIC needs more 2nd floor bonus/lofts as you get to 2500sqft--not just on their expensive plan 3s.
That is one thing I would add, even on the smaller homes.

Turns out that now the kids aren't babies... an upstairs loft/bonus room would be perfect for them to mess up so the downstairs stays clean for guests. Plus we don't have to lug their stuff up and down the stairs and it gives them more places to store their "junk" than just in their room.

Esp now that there are no longer separate family and living rooms in new homes.

Back