what do you think of this irvine floorplan?

dethman

just wanted your expert thoughts on this floorplan.  almost 3100 sq ft.  some of you may recognize it or something like it.

it is modified though, to remove a wall, include a loft, and move the master over the garage.  just wondering the thoughts on that.

Master over garage is too hot in summer months.  My last house had that, learned my lesson.

I noticed the clever switch between the studio above the garage and the master BR. The loft is now conveniently next to the kids bedrooms which makes more useable. The retreat is nice but you can't furnish it due to circulation paths cutting across this room. It is not functional other than a big dressing room for the bath and closet or a giant vestibule for the master BR. The bathroom is far from master BR but a light sleeper would actually like that. The plan overall is still quite nice.

Why would a master over the garage be hot? The ceiling that separate the room and garage has insulation between and the hot air rises does not convect into the bedroom above.

upstairs looks very nice with large loft, balcony+deck, retreat and some visibility below.
But downstairs is more important. Dining is spacious and kind of separate which is a plus, but kitchen doesn't seem to have good visibility to great room and would prefer a flex space downstairs.
all personal taste with floorplans though and how your family would use it

I used to live in this house (without the mentioned modifications of course) for 5 years.  I thought the office over the garage was really cool and that attracted me to the floorplan.  However, that room was very hot and it really become unusable.  There is poor air circulation in that room as well.  There is only one window that opens and it is on one of those cranks, so you can't get it open all the way.  There are two doors and I had to keep both doors open to get any cooling in the room.  It is on the same A/C zone as the upstairs and the thermostat is in the house.  So, if you put the A/C to say 68 degrees, it will turn off at 68 when the upstairs zone is 68 degree despite it being 78 degrees in the room above the garage.  There is no way that I would ever convert that room to a master bedroom.  We talked about putting a door to gain access to that room from the sitting room because the only way to access that room was to go outside in the balcony.  We didn't do that because the media nook was the only access point and we already spend money on a build-in.  If you are considering doing this, you really need to get a 3rd A/C zone just for that space.  It will be unbearable without it.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Why would a master over the garage be hot? The ceiling that separate the room and garage has insulation between and the hot air rises does not convect into the bedroom above.

Trust me if you live in one, you will see.  Like test said, lots of heat still comes through... They even did insulation plus concrete sub floor on 2nd floor of my home and it still came through.  Then you have the AC problems because you will be blasting it in the whole house just to keep your master habitable at night.

Most everyone has something over their garage, but much better for it to be a loft of guest room.

In our last 3 homes, the kids bedrooms have been over the garage but I don't notice any extra heat.

Most garages are vented at the top and bottom so heat will usually exit through those openings. There is also a large amount of drywall, insulation, subfloor and air space between the garage ceiling and the bedrooms.

I guess it depends on how it's built.

Do the stairs go straight to the master bedroom? Can you get to the other bedrooms upstairs without going through the master?

NWII isn't that bad and we really enjoyed in when we lived there in 2006.  We met a lot of the neighbors and had block parties several times a year.  There were a lot of young families with kids of similar age.  In 2008 or so, people started to move away, and we really lost the charm of the neighborhood.  The amenities are limited and had to walk to Blue Gum Park in NW to enjoy a park with the kids.  We moved from NPS to live there and NPS had a lot more amenities.  We are now moving to Woodbury and I really like the "pocket parks" all over the place.  We enjoyed NWII but it was only because of the neighbors.

I lived in both NW2 and Woodbury and I like NW2 much more than Woodbury for the following reasons.

- NW2 is a smaller, gated community with much less traffic in the neighborhood streets.
- Street parking is much better since there are no apartments or small condos in the neighborhood.  Smallest condo I believe is 1600 sq ft.  Minimum cost to buy in NW2 is $650k for this condo.
- Amenities in NW2 are never that crowded due to the housing type mixture.  Woodbury seemed always packed when I tried to use the pools and BBQ facilities.  Trying to get a cabana in Woodbury is near impossible.  I get one all the time in NW2.  Lots of apartment people crowd the facilities in Woodbury.

ps9 said:
Wait, apartment folks share the same amenities as homeowners?  Do they pay HOA as well?

Refer to this post:

test said:
Woobury has an inferior design where the apartments and low income housing are dispersed throughout the community. Stonegate has them all on one side. Cypress Village also continues this superior design.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3934.msg67254.html#msg67254

And this post

test said:
It's more than just a physical divide.  As I explained before, TIC has been improving village design with each new village.  At Woodbury, the apartments are interspersed throughout the community.  At Stonegate, they put them all on one side.  At Cypress Village, they're kicked out altogether.

Notice how this map shows the apartments:http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-and-Neighborhoods/Stonegate/Village-Map

While this map does not:http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-and-Neighborhoods/Cypress-Village/Village-Map

The key difference is in the articles of incorporation.  I've read them for Cypress Village and the apartments are not part of the community.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3934.msg71827.html#msg71827

Back