What do you consider a big lot for new construction in Irvine?

OCgasman

Reading the Sagewood thread got me thinking of lot size.  I know you can find a large lot on resales, I'm not referring to resales.  What I'm curious about is what size lot do you consider big for new construction in Irvine based on sq footage of the house and what kind of backyard setback would you consider larger than normal for new construction in our current marketplace.

House size                        Lot size
Less than 2000 sq ft
2000 sq ft
2500 sq ft
3000 sq ft
3500 sq ft
Greater than 3500 sq ft

My 2 cents:

House size                        Lot size
Less than 2000 sq ft          3000
2000 sq ft                          3500
2500 sq ft                          4500
3000 sq ft                          5500-6000
3500 sq ft                          6000+
Greater than 3500 sq ft    1/2 acre jk

Anything bigger than double the square footage would be a good start.

It also depends on what kind of footprint the home has.

For my OH home it's 2480 sqft and I paid a premium for a back yard that is 25-30 deep. The sides a 5ft. 18.5 ft driveway. This is considered premium.

Those would be good if it was all one story construction. But it is not

It's all two story construction with extended height first story. That back yard is just a display case for your neighbors to all look into

i1 said:
OCgasman said:
what kind of backyard setback would you consider larger than normal for new construction in our current marketplace.
Normal in today's market is an extremely low (and unacceptable IMO) bar. Normal is prob around 5 foot side yards, 10 foot front setback and 8-15 feet backyard set back. Anything higher is above avg. if 2nd floor footprint is same as 1st floor, it will feel even more dense.

For a $1.0-1.3m+ sfr, what should ideally be required to actually feel like an sfr? IMO, you really want 7-9+ feet side setbacks. 15-20 feet+ front setbacks. 25-30+ feet backyard setback.

nosuchreality said:
Those would be good if it was all one story construction. But it is not

It's all two story construction with extended height first story. That back yard is just a display case for your neighbors to all look into

i1 said:
OCgasman said:
what kind of backyard setback would you consider larger than normal for new construction in our current marketplace.
Normal in today's market is an extremely low (and unacceptable IMO) bar. Normal is prob around 5 foot side yards, 10 foot front setback and 8-15 feet backyard set back. Anything higher is above avg. if 2nd floor footprint is same as 1st floor, it will feel even more dense.

For a $1.0-1.3m+ sfr, what should ideally be required to actually feel like an sfr? IMO, you really want 7-9+ feet side setbacks. 15-20 feet+ front setbacks. 25-30+ feet backyard setback.
My dad's house in Vegas is a single story home (just under 2,700sf) on a lot that's 4x the size of the house (I think the lot is 90 feet wide x 120 feet deep).  I'm guess a house like that in Irvine would cost 3-4x times what I paid for it.  :(

4000 - 6000 sq ft lots are considered large.  This is for 3,000 to 4,000 sq ft homes.  Lots larger will cost you a lot more money.

irvinehomeowner said:
Anything bigger than double the square footage would be a good start.
This is my thought too.  But, sadly not the norm.  Amelia at the Groves has one of the worst lot sizes based in price and sq footage of the home.  I believe most of Amelia's lots are ~6400 sq ft with houses 4000+ sq ft and ~$2MM. 

It's interesting how some say big lots are not really important and that's why TIC is able to push these 1-foot setbacks* on the buyers yet product like Sagewood is evidence that size does matter**.

*hyperbole
**qwerterbole

irvinehomeowner said:
It's interesting how some say big lots are not really important and that's why TIC is able to push these 1-foot setbacks* on the buyers yet product like Sagewood is evidence that size does matter**.

*hyperbole
**qwerterbole

NOT FOR CHINESE PEOPLE!  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:

*hyperbole
**qwerterbole

I think all prices equal, people would want to have a bigger yard.  However, the question is what is the price for the bigger yard? 

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

*hyperbole
**qwerterbole

I think all prices equal, people would want to have a bigger yard.  However, the question is what is the price for the bigger yard?

That's right.
People put different value on lot size, but it always costs something. 
Money- is a larger lot (from 4k to 6k) worth an extra $200K to you? 
"Newness"- you can buy older construction and get a bigger lot.
Location- you can select a less desirable location and get a bigger lot.

O Hills said:
Is a larger lot (from 4k to 6k) worth an extra $200K to you?
Would you buy older construction to get a bigger lot?
Would you consider a less desirable location for a bigger lot?
Rhetorical questions!

You can only get small lots in more desirable locations for less in newer construction. :)

Floor Area Ratio=footage/lot size.
25% FAR is generous size lot
35% FAR is big size lot
45% FAR is average size lot
55% FAR is substandard lot
65% FAR is when the builder knows you are stupid
75% FAR is when you could smell your neighbors fart
85% FAR is when the builder is laughing all the way to the bank
100% FAR is when your coffin is the same size as your plot.

Back