What can I do with neighbor's noisy cars?

For the newbs and fcb that don't know, adding a loud exhaust adds the chance of you getting pulled over depending on the area that you drive and the cop on duty.

BangBros said:
daihung said:
BangBros said:
daihung - if you want legal methods to deal with it...

1) move out of cypress village

2) buy a car louder than theirs and give them a taste of it.  Start with a GT350 with a Borla exhaust should do.

Your "Welcome to America" was about 20 years late. LOL. But thanks!

Anyway, we just moved into Cypress Village last fall. We didn't have this problem when we're in Westpark because Westpark doesn't let residence park overnight unless he/she has a parking permit (after he/she prove that the garage is already fill up with two cars.). We just don't expect something like this would happen.

Your #1 solution is impossible given the current ridiculous housing market and we're just two working class couple with a young daughter.

Your #2 solution could work, but those kids are like 4 houses down the neighborhood alley and even I rev the engine really loud, they probably not hear a thing. :(

BTW, one of the cars is a Challenger, I think it's an R/T, but could be a Hellcat too. (Sorry, I don't know much about the American muscle car.)

Wait a minute.  These cars are 4 houses down and it still wakes you up?  Definitely it's the 707HP Hellcat.    :p

The fact that it's American muscle is going to make your case even tougher.  Orange County cops love American muscle than rice rockets and generally will give them more of a break than a dude driving a honda making loud noise.

Sorry I confused you on the other reply. Their house is 4 houses down, but the alley is just a walk path leading towards their house. Their house faces another house.

It's getting worse because originally there are only two cars, the Challenger and a Rubicon (both with loud exhaust). NOW there's another new tenant (in the same house) who drives a Hyundai Genesis Coupe (modified) and extremely sensitive alarm! Sigh.

BangBros said:
you guys have become too sensitive to the "Irvine" life style.  I grew up in the LBC.  Day in and day out, week in and week out, it was cars racing fast down the street in the wee hours of the night..... going 60+ residential... then police helicopters flying over our homes with the big ass spot lights and circling our neighborhood for a good ol' 30 minutes late at night as well.... and loud neighborhood kids on the side walk....etc. skateboarding kids..etc... then it was the Hispanics across the street throwing loud parties... you name it....

The occasional "noise" I hear outside now in Irvine?  Absolutely pales in comparison to the shit I grew up with.  But I'm glad I had my dosage of noise pollution at a young age.

I guess I'm slowly converted to the "Irvine" life style. :( I was from NYC, only moved here about a decade ago, and I was very used to loud noise, freeway noise, etc. but now I'm like, everything should be quite as hell.

qwerty said:
Daihung - i offer packages to help with this sort of thing. For $300 i can show up to your neighbors house in a wife beater and two bats, and tell them they should not park in front of your house. For $500, i will show them pictures of my prior engagements, these are generally very effective. Nothing more effective than a picture of a bloody face next to my smiling face. Crazy man > rude college kid. For $1000, i will outsource to some folks from santa ana, and lets just the problem will disappear, literally. let me know how you would like to proceed.

LOL. If I'm out of option, I will definitely consider your service!

aquabliss said:
Consider yourself lucky.  When I lived in Woodbury, my neighbor's garage was right under my master bedroom.  Every morning around 6:30a he would warm up his 60's Corvette and my entire master bedroom would literally shake.  The first few times after he moved in, I thought it was a earthquake.

I chose Option #1 - sold the place and moved and didn't look back.  When we bought our new home I was very particular about the location (even down to what side of the home my neighbor's driveways were on).  I picked the lot that would have the least likelihood that anyone would ever park in front of my home, and very rare that anyone does.

Right now my option is to wait and hopefully they'll all graduate 3 years later.

daihung said:
EDIT: Ah, my original title didn't make any sense, sorry about that....

I feel like I'm stuck with no solution and hope someone can give me some ideas.

I'm at Cypress Village and our house is facing the street. Across the street, is another neighborhood that the residences somehow like to park their cars on the street. (FYI, my house was finished last year, new neighborhood area)

The problem is that there's this large group of young college kids (who seems like living in the same house. Rental I guess?) always park their cars right outside of my house (because my house is facing the alley leading into that neighborhood). The worse is three of their cars are modified and very loud (when starting up or when driving away) in the early morning (like 7am~ish) or late at night (after 10~ish).

I'm so sick of the noise, but I don't know what I can do.  Sure, the HOA "recommends" everyone to park the car in the garage (which I do) and always remind everyone that street parking is not long term parking for the residences, but no one ever listens. So my question is, what can I do? Can HOA do anything about this? I feel like I'm being punished because I park my cars in the garage and do not "hold the spot" in front of my house. :(

Any suggestion welcome, as long as you don't ask me to do anything illegally.... :)

Perhaps you may want to walk over and talk to them, hopefully they can be reasonable. Might also talk to the neighbors around. If you can get a few more people on your side that may increase your chances.

Just my 2 cents, but 7am ish isn't all that bad. Most people need to get to work or school by 8am so they should be awake by then. Wish I could sleep in past 7am  :-\

BangBros said:
lnc said:
There's this guy use to drive his Lamborghini to CV regularly in late hours and that lound exhaust keep me from getting a good night sleep.  That just said he doesn't come by with his Lambo anymore.  >:D

Lamboghini's, Ferrari's, R8's, etc. all will exceed 95dB when you rev that shit to their maximum RPM! Chances are those guys will mod their exhaust a little too.  That's the whole point, to make a statement!  VROOM VROOM muthafucka! 

It's not really the dB as much as it is the actual noise that causes everything in your house to vibrate due to resonance frequency.  Exhaust noise hits a wide range of frequencies that they typically will cause drywall, doors, hinges, etc. to vibrate because it matches the resonant frequency.  It's annoying, but you can't do shit about it unless you dish out some "Chinese" street justice.

There's a big difference between a rice rocket exhaust sound and a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche sound.  I would listen to the latter for days and days.  I will admit that my GT cars are a bit loud but I don't rev them in my neighborhood and don't really get on them till I'm on a busy street or highway. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
BangBros said:
lnc said:
There's this guy use to drive his Lamborghini to CV regularly in late hours and that lound exhaust keep me from getting a good night sleep.  That just said he doesn't come by with his Lambo anymore.  >:D

Lamboghini's, Ferrari's, R8's, etc. all will exceed 95dB when you rev that shit to their maximum RPM! Chances are those guys will mod their exhaust a little too.  That's the whole point, to make a statement!  VROOM VROOM muthafucka! 

It's not really the dB as much as it is the actual noise that causes everything in your house to vibrate due to resonance frequency.  Exhaust noise hits a wide range of frequencies that they typically will cause drywall, doors, hinges, etc. to vibrate because it matches the resonant frequency.  It's annoying, but you can't do shit about it unless you dish out some "Chinese" street justice.

There's a big difference between a rice rocket exhaust sound and a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche sound.  I would listen to the latter for days and days.  I will admit that my GT cars are a bit loud but I don't rev them in my neighborhood and don't really get on them till I'm on a busy street or highway.

As long as they are reasonable, maybe just leave a note on the windshield or just walk over.  They probably are decent people with a loud car.

Lots of current high performance cars use a flap system to improve the EPA emissions.  Maybe have a talk and have the flaps closed in the morning then rev it all he wants on the open road.  I have a M3 so I do it in the mornings for courtesy then open it up when I leave the community

I'm in CV too and I have the same problem. My house faces Nightmist which is not a busy street but it's still very loud. It didn't bother me at first because I had just moved from LA which was 10x louder... but I'm getting spoiled with the new Irvine standard lately... But when I complain about the noise in Irvine, my husband always says to me... "you want quieter than Irvine?!? We'll need to move to Montana!"

I thank you all for the great suggestions, and so far my options are:

1. Park my cars outside to "hold the spot"
2. Talk to them/Leave them a note
3. Potato or Bananas (because Eddie Murphy and it's .19s at Trader Joe's)
4. Order fake bird shit at Amazon and spray it on the cars.
5. Move out, rent the house to the next victim tenant.
6. Hire a mostly sane, but occasionally crazy man to scare them off ($300, $500 and $1000 fee, BangBros highly recommend)
7. Get an even louder car (but definitely not Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche or R8 because people might actually enjoy the sound)

Any more sane/insane suggestions?  :D

Happiness said:
daihung said:
Challenge them to a street race. Losers get their Irvine Pass revoked.  Great Park runway would be a perfect venue.

Well, right now Marine Way is closed, so I will have to get down Sand Canyon, right turn on Trabuco before I get to Great Park. Might as well just do it on Sand Canyon. HAHAHA. Great Park runway, is that where MotorTrend do their World's Greatest Drag Race?

BangBros said:
daihung said:
I thank you all for the great suggestions, and so far my options are:

1. Park my cars outside to "hold the spot"
2. Talk to them/Leave them a note
3. Potato or Bananas (because Eddie Murphy and it's .19s at Trader Joe's)
4. Order fake bird shit at Amazon and spray it on the cars.
5. Move out, rent the house to the next victim tenant.
6. Hire a mostly sane, but occasionally crazy man to scare them off ($300, $500 and $1000 fee, BangBros highly recommend)
7. Get an even louder car (but definitely not Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche or R8 because people might actually enjoy the sound)

Vote for Trump on Nov. 8.  It's free and it's easy.  Keeps the immigration to very low numbers so you don't have parachute college kids coming over here to study buying loud cars and revving it up.

HAHA, will my vote count? Time to find out on Nov. 8.

Put Trump bumper stickers on the backs of their cars. 
or
Put Hillary bumper stickers on the backs of their cars. 

They will be afraid to park anywhere in public.

spootieho said:
Put Trump bumper stickers on the backs of their cars. 
or
Put Hillary bumper stickers on the backs of their cars. 

They will be afraid to park anywhere in public.

Good one.  If the car has Trump sticker on it, it won't survive anywhere in LA county. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
BangBros said:
lnc said:

Agree 1000%%! Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche over ricer racer any day. And the cops are much more likely to pull over the ricer rocket for "illegal" mods.

Back