WARNING: PS: Coyote Attack - 3 year old little girl

morekaos said:
They're coyotes...if we can effectively eliminate buffalo, river smelt and darters we can eliminate them too. ;)

yes, because we should just continue to eliminate other species.

this is a toughie

page 1 I was not for a witch hunt

multiple attacks later within a small time frame, I am glad that people have stepped in and tried to lessen the frequency of attacks by putting them to sleep.  I wouldn't have thought that there were nearly 10 coyotes within such a small vicinity. 

I had family over last weekend and they brought their small dog.  I had to basically tell them that I wouldn't have the dog staying outside unaccompanied for any extended period of time as I have heard that packs of coyotes like to cruise my neighborhood. 

Not shocked at all to hear of coyotes in Woodbury.  I have seen them near the 5 freeway on Lake Forest Blvd.  That's pretty far from the hills.

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
Wasn't part of the whole ad  campaign for PS about living in the foothills next to nature? I mean there are coyotes in the middle of irvine and other cities, shouldn't one presume the wildlife encounters would increase the closer you are to the edge of the city and backing up to open land?  I agree, as a homeowner I wouldn't expect a coyote right outside of the garage when I open the door, but perhaps I should have. You can't plan for every risk, but that's the chance you take when you buy in those areas

Regardless of expectations, a child's life still trumps that of a coyote.  Sorry, that's how things work in this world. 

no one is saying coyote > kids, we are saying killing coyotes isnt the answer. there is probably a higher chance of you and your kid being in car accident and being severely hurt, yet you still get in the car every day. we all do. you just take as many precautions as you can. now folks know to be careful when they open their garage.

So what is the answer?  They said relocating them doesn't work. What suggestions do you have?  I can tell you that making analogies to other things that aren't relevant is not the answer.

well i can tell your solution of just killing them isnt the answer. i already told you the solution, the homeowners need to take as many precautions as possible. they have killed 9, probably not even the one that attacked the kids. other coyotes from other areas will just move in.

what, now you are going to tell me you cant be a prisoner in your own neighborhood?

People have been taking precautions.  There have been postings about what to do to when you see a coyote as well as how to detract them ever since the coyotes sightings have increased earlier this year.  It also sounds like the Wildlife people are handing out flyers and there is a informational meeting of sorts being set up.  Anecdotally, I know people who live around here that no longer walk their dogs at night, don't take their kids to the park past a certain time, etc, etc.  I guess we can now add, don't open your garage door without a big bat and with a small child to the list. 

If some people are opposed to euthanizing the coyotes in PS, perhaps the solution is to capture them and release them in Columbus Square and Orchard Hills. This way everybody is happy including the coyotes >:D

Surely the.modern dogs were once as problematic to human as coyote.  We should try the proactive approach and domesticate them.

If that failed, impose a coyote tax.

A "TL;DR" recap for the good people of TI. I'll save you a click.

TI:

o29yb.jpg

Qwerty:

o29pz.jpg

The issue with coyotes is that they adopt to suburban life too well.  Coyotes only breed once a year and have around 6 pups per litter.  The survival rate for pups in the wild is estimated at ~15% vs ~67% in suburbs.  Like wolves, once coyotes become accustomed to the smell of humans, they lose the fear.  When food is scarce, they will go after your pets.

It's important to remember that feral predators, no matter how friendly they may appear, are constantly evaluating you, your children, and your pets as food.  Not just mountain lions and coyotes, but also large seals that think it can take on divers (these guys eat sharks for lunch).

o-SEAL-ATTACKS-SHARK-570.jpg

This story about the two year old getting attack made it to yahoo. I was reading some of the comments and plenty of supporters. So you yell loud enough to kill the coyotes u get the animal lovers all riled up

Here's the reality, if they could eat us they would so they need to be eliminated.  Let's put the fear of humans back in those bastards and let them see their fellow buddies taken down.

We are at the brink of the 6th mass extinction this Earth has seen thanks to the common behaviors of the human species. Much of the sentiment expressed here on TI regarding this coyote issue represents the very reasons why we are in the middle of this mass extinction of species.  Yes continue to kill all the other species on this planet, continue the mass extinctions because why would it ever affect you in your Irvine bubble?
But realize that the natural order of these systems and the co-existence of species was created to maintain a homeostatic balance that supports the existence of the human race. We mess with that and I guaranteed you that it will break your perfect little bubble in the future.
So yes please continue your killing spree of every other organism around you...just remember Karma is a bitch  ;)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/20/sixth-mass-extinction-study/29028887/

So should I be scared of Sealnado?

I remember reading about some South OC city that started trapping coyotes to thin their population and ended up with an increase in skunk population.

It's the circle of liiiiifffffe!

Paris said:
We are at the brink of the 6th mass extinction this Earth has seen thanks to the common behaviors of the human species. Much of the sentiment expressed here on TI regarding this coyote issue represents the very reasons why we are in the middle of this mass extinction of species.  Yes continue to kill all the other species on this planet, continue the mass extinctions because why would it ever affect you in your Irvine bubble?
But realize that the natural order of these systems and the co-existence of species was created to maintain a homeostatic balance that supports the existence of the human race. We mess with that and I guaranteed you that it will break your perfect little bubble in the future.
So yes please continue your killing spree of every other organism around you...just remember Karma is a bitch  ;)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/20/sixth-mass-extinction-study/29028887/

High horse

"But realize that the natural order of these systems and the co-existence of species was created to maintain a homeostatic balance that supports the existence of the human race".

So everything was created for the benefit of humans? Actually I think God created Earth for his own good pleasure, not the benefit of humans but he did put humans above other species:

"Then God said, ?Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.?". Genesis 1:26

The article you quote says, "The previous five mass extinctions happened well before mankind walked the Earth, and are believed to have been mainly caused by natural disasters, such as asteroid impacts and volcanic eruptions".

Indeed, the flood didn't even cause any mass destruction as Noah was instructed to put two of every species in the ark.

If you're worried about the earth's future, worry no more: "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea". Revelation 21:1

I'm not worried about the earth. I know a new one is coming, a better earth and it won't have coyotes chomping on children in Irvine.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them". Isaiah 11:6

morekaos said:
Wow, did this spin off in a direction I didn't see coming

LOL...seriously?! I didn't see it coming either. From this point onwards I rest my case on this topic. I will sit back and enjoy the banter involving the answer to Qwerty's question "who is God?"  ;D

We're in PS, our backyard wall is not solid but rather a fence. I just went out to clean the kids toys and found a coyote standing about 5 feet from our fence just nonchalantly staring at me.  It wandered into the brush after I did my best yelling hand waving dance.

Do I report this to the HOA or Irvine animal control?  I walked outside to warn my neighbor whose kids were riding their bikes outside.

Back