Villages of Columbus

Bullsback

Anyone (maybe Qwerty) know the history of that area and why they are IUSD (vs. Tustin) despite having TUSD mella roos bonds on them (or at least some of the homes their).  Seems odd that your bond funds a district different from where your kids would go to school. 

There are 2 main areas in Villages of Columbus, Columbus Square and Columbus Grove.

Columbus Square is all in Tustin (TUSD). Columbus Grove, south of Warner is in Irvine and IUSD, north of Warner is a Tustin address but still IUSD school district.

I don't know the breakdown of the CFDs for Columbus Grove but I'm not sure how much of it goes to IUSD considering residents in both hoods attend already established schools in IUSD (Stonecreek Elem/Lakeside MS/Woodbridge HS).

Do you know of Columbus Grove CFDs that fund TUSD?

My friend lives their and we were talking this weekend and I knew they were in Tustin (tbut Irvine schools, but he was mentioning that the bond they pay is TUSD, which seemed odd to me.  They are in Columbus Grove (so Tustin Address, but Irvine schools) and all of the school's are clearly established (in fact, in some cases, they were the same schools him and I went to when we were kids). 

Just seems really odd that you are going to a school district that differs from the one your bonds are backing. In Orchard Hills, if you live in Strada and are in Irvine district, you have irvine CFD and if you are in TUSD district, you get their mella. 

So I just viewed a property tax statement for a Columbus Grove 2800sft house that is on the Tustin side, and it shows a ~$58 IUSD assessment and a $7k+ Tustin CFD (not TUSD) tax.

The same size property on the Irvine side of CG also has a ~$58 IUSD assessment but only a $4900 Irvine CFD tax.

So they pay the same IUSD assessment but it's a very low rate which is probably due to not having a new school.

So maybe your friend might be confusing the two.

I also looked up a Columbus Square tax bill and they pay almost $5k for TUSD and have yet to see a new school (no wonder gasman is outraged!).

irvinehomeowner said:
So I just viewed a property tax statement for a Columbus Grove 2800sft house that is on the Tustin side, and it shows a ~$58 IUSD assessment and a $7k+ Tustin CFD (not TUSD) tax.

The same size property on the Irvine side of CG also has a ~$58 IUSD assessment but only a $4900 Irvine CFD tax.

So they pay the same IUSD assessment but it's a very low rate which is probably due to not having a new school.

I also looked up a Columbus Square tax bill and they pay almost $5k for TUSD and have yet to see a new school (no wonder gasman is outraged!).
That must be it. 

irvinehomeowner said:

Good Job IHO.  I am sure people are confusing the taxes the same way at OH too.  It defies logic that someone would be required to pay school District mello roos other than the district they are in.

tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp

This official site will offer specifics on different property-related taxes for Orange County addresses. Have fun!

Someone who is really bored or who loves data could make a pretty informative Irvine Parcel Map.

Back