Villages of Columbus - Columbus Square - Camden Place

hey shooby- did you buy any insurance on your place? i already know it is a town house to everything is cover on the outside by hoa. what about the inside? do you need it? what if your neighbor starts a fire or a flood. will the hoa insurance cover your belonging?

<p>update:</p>

<p>it's been a while since i've posted here but shooby and i are finally neighbors. funny enough, we knew each other previously outside of IHB! luckily i haven't had any problems with my structure or interior (*knock on wood*) but the loan process was a complete nightmare! i closed 10 days late and even then, it was down to the wire to get me recoreded and avoid extending my lease at my previous apartment. i ended up closing on the 28th and needed to be out the 1st. there's nothing like moving from 10pm - 4am on the day before new years eve.</p>

<p>loooooooong story short, i lost my 30 yr fixed loan at 5.5% because the loan processor i was working with got laid off a week before my scheduled close of escrow. supposedly the staff at UAMC got cut by 30% and Lennar lost their entire escrow department except for ONE person. anyway, even though I was told i was approved and only needed to sign docs and wire money, the title company didn't get my docs in time so i lost that loan due to a policy change. the lender (suntrust mortgage) decided to stop approving loans for units within communities that offer affordable housing. since camden had a few affordable housing units, my loan was dropped. the UAMC loan agent found me a 5 yr ARM and i said NO WAY. then she found a 10yr ARM at 5.5% but my new problem was that their DTI (debt to income) requirment was lower than my current situation. i had to pay off and close ALL of my credit cards in less than a week. try scraping together $10k to make a deal happen. this wasn't enough so Lennar and UAMC ended up buying down my rate to 5.125% on a 10yr ARM. to ease my pain, they gave me a gift certificate to House of Blinds and refunded some of my carpet/tile upgrades.</p>

<p>moral of the story, shop around and find a backup lender on your own. with as many friends as i have in the mortgage industry, going with UAMC to save $6k in closing costs was not the smartest decision i've made. am i happy with my purchase? yes. am i happy with my experience? no. and i sure let them know in the customer service survey. :)</p>

<p>btw, i agree that the quality of construction is lower than expected. my biggest/most annoying problem is lumps in my carpet. i've found 3 lumps and i even upgraded with an additional layer of foam padding. i mean come on! couldn't they have swept up before laying the carpet? i guess they were rushing to finish before the new year. like everyone above said, you get what you pay for. thank goodness i didn't pay full price!</p>

<p>any suggestions on the carpets? i want to take a hammer and try to smash down the lumps, but am worried about damaging the foam padding.</p>

Yeah, if it's under warranty, call them out and make them fix it. It's their fault it wasn't done right, make them take the time and expense to make it right.

<p>crepe. i'd really hate to have to move my furniture because they screwed up. do you think they'll move everything for me? HAHA!</p>

<p>thanks for the advice though. i'm about to give them an earful. :)</p>

myfirsthome- man.... UAMC sucks big time. i am having the same problem with them. they truly suck eggs. hahahahaaaaa sorry to hear about your ordeal.... they made you jump though hoops just to get into your new place. and i thought this was a buyer's market.

<p>myfirsthome - carpet lumps?</p>

<p>If you are referring to the same thing I'm thinking, then it's not because of the padding underneath. If carpet is installed correctly, they have to stretch it out onto the side walls repeating before they nail it into the sides. If they dont, you get the lumps you are referring to.</p>

<p>Congrats on the purchase!</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>the seams and edges are all good. the lumps feel like trash or debris they didn't sweep up before laying down the padding and carpet. i'd imagine that the padding would help hide things like this. for size-comparison, i have one lump that is about the size of a half dollar. when you step on it, you can tell something is underneath the carpet (the carpet is stretched fine and the lump doesn't move). anyway, lennar customer service is sending their maintenance guy out to take a look tomorrow.</p>

<p>as for UAMC... they are next to impossible to get ahold of unless they are actually working on your account and need something from you at that moment. i almost felt like it was a one way street... they contacted me when they needed me. my advice, don't bother calling unless you can get a manager's phone # (they will NOT answer), just bombard their email boxes with messages until someone replies. and yes, i did jump through a bunch of hoops. tall ones, short ones, big ones, small ones, and even one on fire. picture will farrell wearing the cougar suit jumping through that flaming hoop in "Old School" </p>

<p>good luck jbatzmaru. be persistent and firm with them. be professional and nice, but don't be afraid to put up a fight. they do not want to lose your business because they simply can't afford to. in general, everyone i worked with was very nice, but their level of customer service is unacceptable in my opinion.</p>

I own in Camden Place and my experience with UAMC was okay. For some reason my LO didn't really understand discount points. But my experience with Vintage Design was great. We did hardwood flooring on the 2nd floor which was installed perfectly. The tile cuts are all perfect too everywhere. No probs with carpet either.

Your LO did not understand discount points? and your experience is ok? WOW............

My LO was a typical LO.... Useless and overpaid.

As i posted previously, one of the recessed lights in the kitchen would work occasionally. They came, "fixed" the problem, same day it stopped working again so I called back the electricians and they "fixed" the problem again.

A week later, it has completely stopped working again. Spoke to the electrical company this morning, was told that the ballasts used in the recessed lights in all of the homes has a "defect". He wouldn't go as far as saying there is a recall, in hopes of not having to replace all of the lights, however he said they are waiting on word from the manufacturer and will replace them "as needed".

It's my understanding that if I'm sold a defective product, whether it is currently working or not, it should be replaced to prevent future problems. If there is a letter from the manufacturer stating there is a problem, isn't that enough to have to come out and replace all of them?

It's unfortunate I have to constantly worry about these things after moving into this place.

The way electricity works is, either it works or it doesn't. So if it's working now I wouldn't worry too much about it. But it makes sense why they used defective ballasts. Since you paid below cost for the house they have to cut their losses as much as possible.

AsianinVasian, Hmm I wonder if I saw you two while I was there today.

Phase 11 Pricing (rep stated should be same as last phase):

Residence 1 = not be available

Residence 2 = $464K

Residence 3 = $489K

Help $6K closing costs

~$1100/mo in tax, mello roos, special assessments, HOAs.

<p>Phase 11? Wow, I don't even think the foundation is poured.</p>

<p>Anyway, Steve (the Lennar customer service/handy-man) came out to my place early this morning and pulled up the carpet above one of the lumps. Looks like there wasn't debris... it was the cheap particle board flooring that has lumps/particles sticking up. Supposedly, there's nothing they can do about it. Now I have an "X" cut into my padding that has been re-stapled down to the floor. I haven't really felt it with my foot since I was in a rush to get to work this morning, but I have a feeling the "lump" is gonna be noticably worse now. :( </p>

i suppose they could, however i'm not prepared to pay them to do so (or spend the time & effort to do it myself). also, it would be a rather large inconvenience to move all my furniture to get rid of the lumps. if my carpet happens to start to show extra wear & tear in these spots, then i'll look at sanding down the floor boards if/when i re-do the flooring.

Some people buy new homes so they dont have to deal with any maintenance issues and now you have to deal with crap on new homes too?

Back