Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

Our Gang said:
So .... FP builds for FS, they are proud to say. Where do we see on development map churches, synagogues, or a mosque? Is GP area intended as an exclusively Taoist enclave? No others may buy and stay?

what's FP?  five point?
what's FS?

yaliu07 said:
Our Gang said:
So .... FP builds for FS, they are proud to say. Where do we see on development map churches, synagogues, or a mosque? Is GP area intended as an exclusively Taoist enclave? No others may buy and stay?

what's FP?  five point?
what's FS?

Full Service ;)

WillJoy said:
AW said:
either case, they believe in money, cemetery will make house lose value according to their beliefs

Sorry everyone. My reply to Swordfish was a bit rude. I was in a movie where my favorite female character was in danger. I was on the edge of my seat and had to finish someone off fast.

Asian buyers would be hesitant to buy homes that are in close proximity to a cemetery and as such it can affect resale value, especially to Asian buyers. So this point of their argument is valid.

For would-be buyers, perhaps they can accept the location if they get offered a huge feng shui discount from the developer - ah, this is why FP isn't very happy about this.

For buyers who have already bought BP, yes, you have every right to protest. But why did you choose to buy BP in the first place if it bothers you so much? Didn't the news of the cemetery project come out sometime last year? Were you not aware of this plan?

I'm taking this stance because I know several of the anti-cemetery protesters don't even live close to BP. They seem to be enjoying stirring up conflicts. I think they are on a losing cause because the city obviously has no say in this anymore. And even if it were on a ballot,  realistically speaking, few people outside TI cares about the interest of BP homeowners and that of FP.

To defend those against the memorial on GP...the plans wasn't revealed until PP was well built out...of course the jail was already there and known.

Also, "far" is a relative term.  I think it's far but there are those who may be against a cemetery in Irvine and think that it would affect them and their home value.  I mean it's the same discussion as to Harvard admissions...even if Harvard went with a pure merit admission process, it's going to affect very few students...but that's doesn't matter because those parents think that their kids will get in.

Also...the city does have a say in it.  They're responsible for zoning.  It's just that there is very few politicians who want to be perceived as anti-veterans.

And with the projected future neighborhoods by 5p and TIC near the proposed site means a lot of $ in the balance.  Politicians are in a doozy

WillJoy said:
I'm taking this stance because I know several of the anti-cemetery protesters don't even live close to BP. They seem to be enjoying stirring up conflicts. I think they are on a losing cause because the city obviously has no say in this anymore. And even if it were on a ballot,  realistically speaking, few people outside TI cares about the interest of BP homeowners and that of FP.

I think another issue is the cemetery's close proximity to the new High School.. now you are basically affecting all communities that are slated to Portola High.  I would guess people who believe on these things would also not want to their kids spending most of their days in close proximity to a cemetery.

momopi said:
Personally, I bought my plots by laying around different spots at Rose Hills to find one that I was most comfortable wtih at various times of the day.  When you find the "right" spot it's one that you just feel right at and, even if it's getting dark you don't feel creepy at all.  Don't need I Ching or Feng Sui to tell me how to find my burial plot, which I visit on semi regular basis (hey, I bought it, it's mine).  I have a family of (living) Mexican neighbors by my plot, they visit on some weekends with picnic basket.  Nice people.

yikes....

GH said:
WillJoy said:

I think another issue is the cemetery's close proximity to the new High School.. now you are basically affecting all communities that are slated to Portola High.  I would guess people who believe on these things would also not want to their kids spending most of their days in close proximity to a cemetery.

So ... what is wrong with school kids seeing a Veteran Cemetery? Is the price paid for their freedom.

momopi said:
Personally, I bought my plots by laying around different spots at Rose Hills to find one that I was most comfortable wtih at various times of the day.  When you find the "right" spot it's one that you just feel right at and, even if it's getting dark you don't feel creepy at all.  Don't need I Ching or Feng Sui to tell me how to find my burial plot, which I visit on semi regular basis (hey, I bought it, it's mine).  I have a family of (living) Mexican neighbors by my plot, they visit on some weekends with picnic basket.  Nice people.

yikes....

So .... yikes! Mexican neighbors? That what you say?

Our Gang said:
GH said:
WillJoy said:

So ... what is wrong with school kids seeing a Veteran Cemetery? Is the price paid for their freedom.

momopi said:

yikes....

So .... yikes! Mexican neighbors? That what you say?

Ugh engwish

WillJoy said:
I am not saying which party has a more valid claim. But if one party is using feng shui as the main issue to support their cause, please, at least check your facts - it is not even 3000 years old.

Feng shui is one of many issues. The pro-cemetery voice just want that to be the narrative so it's easy to make anti-cemetery residents seem like a fringe group.
  • There are real concern about traffic impact from the projected 8000+ burials per year at the cemetery.
  • There is real risk of toxicity due to leaks from burial at the cemetery.
  • There is concern about it's close proximity to the high school
  • There's the question of who's picking up the bill. There are 2 cemeteries with 75 miles of Great Park, the federal government will not be paying for the full build out, up keep and maintenance of the cemetery. Who's going to pick up the tab?

There are those who write those concern all off and insist it's just feng shui and superstition. There's no fact that can argue with those people.

eatthis said:
WillJoy said:
I am not saying which party has a more valid claim. But if one party is using feng shui as the main issue to support their cause, please, at least check your facts - it is not even 3000 years old.

Feng shui is one of many issues. The pro-cemetery voice just want that to be the narrative so it's easy to make anti-cemetery residents seem like a fringe group.
  • There are real concern about traffic impact from the projected 8000+ burials per year at the cemetery.
  • There is real risk of toxicity due to leaks from burial at the cemetery.
  • There is concern about it's close proximity to the high school
  • There's the question of who's picking up the bill. There are 2 cemeteries with 75 miles of Great Park, the federal government will not be paying for the full build out, up keep and maintenance of the cemetery. Who's going to pick up the tab?

There are those who write those concern all off and insist it's just feng shui and superstition. There's no fact that can argue with those people.

1)  Traffic is a concern but environmental studies will be done to asses that.  Building a school will also have significant traffic concerns. 

2)  We talked about the toxicity issue...no more toxic than what's already there.

3)  Why is its proximity to the high school a concern?  There is literally a jail a mile down the street from the HS and that wasn't a concern.

4)  The state will be footing the bill.

All those are considerations but the overwhelmimg consideration are home values and culture concerns.

jumpcut said:
GH said:

I grew up in a small New England town that was originally settled in the 1630s. My elementary school was next door to a white steeple church and right behind the church was a cemetary. It included veterans from the Revolutionary War and more recent wars, as well as local townsfolk.

One day, our third grade teacher handed out big sheets of tracing paper and took us out to the cemetary. She told each of us to find a gravestone that we thought was special -- maybe a really old one, or one with a poignant inscription, or just one we thought was interesting -- and make a tracing of the engraved lettering.

I still have that tracing and it's one of my most prized possessions.  I think if any of us kids were uneasy around cemetaries before that day, we weren't afterwards.

Goes back to the fundamental difference in viewing the dead and cemetery.  Also a difference of cultural opinion as to veterans.

I thought James A. Musick Facility is low level security prisoner.  i thought low level security prisoner is for tax problem, drunk and drive and etc..  there will NOT killer, rapist there. 

I know cal vet will pick up the bill.  however, i dont know how cal vet gets funds. 

does anybody have any idea how much money is needed to develop 125 acres cemetery?

also, who is going to maintain the cemetery?  i assume there will at least be water, electricity bill.

yaliu07 said:
I thought James A. Musick Facility is low level security prisoner.  i thought low level security prisoner is for tax problem, drunk and drive and etc..  there will NOT killer, rapist there.

It's a minimal security prison but still poses some level of risk...certainly more than one from a cemetery/memorial.

The James A. Musick Facility is a one hundred acre minimum security facility known as "The Farm." The facility is located in an unincorporated area of the county near the cities of Irvine and Lake Forest. Captain Mike Krueger manages the daily operations of the 1,322 bed facility. The facility was originally opened in 1963 and was named in honor of James A. Musick, who was the Sheriff of Orange County from 1947 to 1975. Originally the facility held a maximum of 200 male minimum-security inmates and was referred to as the "County Industrial Farm" or the "Honor Farm." Since 1986, the inmate housing capacity has increased to 1,322 and includes both men and women. The inmates housed at the facility are considered to be a low security risk and most are in jail for crimes such as driving under the influence, minor drug possession, burglary, failure to pay child support, and or prostitution. Inmates and ICE detainees who have committed violent crimes, sex crimes or mayhem are not eligible for transfer to the facility
http://ocsd.org/divisions/custody/musick

yaliu07 said:
I know cal vet will pick up the bill.  however, i dont know how cal vet gets funds. 

does anybody have any idea how much money is needed to develop 125 acres cemetery?

also, who is going to maintain the cemetery?  i assume there will at least be water, electricity bill.

Answers are easily available:

Though the state formally identified the 125-acre Great Park site last year, that was only a first step to establishing the cemetery. State officials need millions of dollars and don?t plan to apply for federal funding until July 2016 at the earliest. If they get funding, it still might be years before a cemetery is developed.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cemetery-664876-park-veterans.html

I am also not quite sure why you would be concerned about the funding...it's not going to come out of your pockets.

And even if there is funding issues, moving it away from GP to another part of Irvine isn't going to change that.

The inmates housed at the facility are considered to be a low security risk and most are in jail for crimes such as driving under the influence, minor drug possession, burglary, failure to pay child support, and or prostitution. Inmates and ICE detainees who have committed violent crimes, sex crimes or mayhem are not eligible for transfer to the facility

Before I purchased the house, I noticed there is a jail there.  however after research with low level security, i was okay with it.

driving under the influence - I am okay with this because there are drunk and drive everywhere
minor drug possession - I dont really understand what is minor drug possession. 
burglary - I dont like it, but i am okay with this.
failure to pay child support - i am okay with this.
prostitution - SIGN ME UP.  i want to be the NEXT deuce bigalow

yaliu07 said:
The inmates housed at the facility are considered to be a low security risk and most are in jail for crimes such as driving under the influence, minor drug possession, burglary, failure to pay child support, and or prostitution. Inmates and ICE detainees who have committed violent crimes, sex crimes or mayhem are not eligible for transfer to the facility

Before I purchased the house, I noticed there is a jail there.  however after research with low level security, i was okay with it.

driving under the influence - I am okay with this because there are drunk and drive everywhere

And yet the memorial is a grave concern with respect to the school?

I understand the anti-cemetery crowd but don't patronize me with side arguments.  It's about cultural differences and home values...simple as that.

Irvinecommuter said:
yaliu07 said:

And yet the memorial is a grave concern with respect to the school?

I understand the anti-cemetery crowd but don't patronize me with side arguments.  It's about cultural differences and home values...simple as that.

i was just replying back your posts... :)

Back