Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

yaliu07 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
PatrickStar said:
WTTCHMN said:
My advice would be to gather all of the most influential realtors who represented buyers in PP. Have them go directly to Emile Haddad and tell him that if this cemetery gets built, the Chinese buyers will surely walk away. I bet the cemetery idea will get magically tabled, if it hasn't already (as Test has alluded to).

Good idea. Maybe after they push out the Veterans they can park the new balloon in that location.

Chinese-Flag-Great-Park-Balloon1.jpg
Quoted for perpetuity.

what does veteran cemetery has to do w/ China?

Nothing.  PatrickStar is just resentful that he was priced out of Irvine.  He thinks he can be buried amongst the rich people in Westwood but doesn't realize that cemetery is full.  He can dream of Irvine, but the reality is he will most likely end up in Riverside.

too bad SoCal is a house wife and Mr. SoCal doesn't qualify as a senior IT engineer.

WTTCHMN said:
yaliu07 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
PatrickStar said:
WTTCHMN said:
My advice would be to gather all of the most influential realtors who represented buyers in PP. Have them go directly to Emile Haddad and tell him that if this cemetery gets built, the Chinese buyers will surely walk away. I bet the cemetery idea will get magically tabled, if it hasn't already (as Test has alluded to).

Good idea. Maybe after they push out the Veterans they can park the new balloon in that location.

Chinese-Flag-Great-Park-Balloon1.jpg
Quoted for perpetuity.

what does veteran cemetery has to do w/ China?

Nothing.  PatrickStar is just resentful that he was priced out of Irvine.  He thinks he can be buried amongst the rich people in Westwood but doesn't realize that cemetery is full.  He can dream of Irvine, but the reality is he will most likely end up in Riverside.

That Ghost Migration map is way too confusing for the recently departed. I'd sooner take the 5 mile float straight down Irvine Blvd from Ascension Cemetary to the Pavillion Park community center. Less twists and turns. Probably an OCTD Bus that's headed down that route as well.

Sure, I get there is a genuine sensitivity on this issue for some. On the other hand, there are many, many human remains already underfoot, making the NIMBY problem less supportive than other present concerns. Example:

http://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2008/12/strandts-indian-map.html

Note the location 104, an "Oak Grove peoples" burial site in relation to PP and Portola Springs. Looks also as if there was a "112" on this document - a second burial area that might be the remains found in Stonegate. That's not counting the criminal gunned down in Tomato Springs - bodies buried somewhere - as noted here:

http://patch.com/california/lakeforest-ca/shootout-at-tomato-springs

My .02c

SGIP

WTTCHMN said:

You can reassure yourself that you hold economic superiority over everyone outside of Irvine all day as you relax in your California Room and gaze upon your four foot deep backyard while the people from the five adjoining houses peek out of their second floor bedroom windows at you.  But it does not change the fact that balloon image has EVERYTHING to do with this issue.  And you know it.

PatrickStar said:
WTTCHMN said:

You can reassure yourself that you hold economic superiority over everyone outside of Irvine all day as you relax in your California Room and gaze upon your four foot deep backyard while the people from the five adjoining houses peek out of their second floor bedroom windows at you.  But it does not change the fact that balloon image has EVERYTHING to do with this issue.  And you know it.

I don't claim to hold economic superiority over anyone.  If I did, I'd live in Newport Coast like Homie and Test.

The balloon really has nothing to do the cemetery.  Please don't conflate the two.  As IHO has said multiple times, it's just a classic case of NIMBY.

The California Court Company said:
too bad SoCal is a house wife and Mr. SoCal doesn't qualify as a senior IT engineer.

Care to explain why I'm the target of your rage this time? Because I expressed my appreciation for veterans?? Just wait until you find out I have previously volunteered for an American soldier memorial project. That ought to make you really blow a gasket.

jumpcut said:
Pat, I look forward to raising a glass of soju at your headstone. Just do me one favor: I plan on selling my home to an FCB so don't rattle my rafters during the open house.

Sounds like a plan JC.  I'll stay away from your house, but will terrorize any other open houses that same weekend to drive business your way.  Perhaps I'll enlist the help of some T-ara zombies to ensure the job is done correctly.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ0djllyqwY[/youtube]

jumpcut said:
FWIW I was watching the city council meeting on TV Tuesday night (yes I have no life) and I saw yaliu hand his petition to the City Council. They looked at it in silence but but their body language said, "Where's the nearest round file."

I can only imagine; the city leaders must be mortified at the perception of this outside of the bubble. I can only hope that our trolling of this thread over the past couple of days has effectively killed it, and restored some order to Talk Irvine.  Now everybody can get back to questions like "should I go for the $1,500 recessed light option for my $2M townhome"?

Demographically speaking, most of the first residents of our new vet cemetery will likely be Vietnam and even Korean war era vets.  In other words, they will likely not just be ordinary spirits, they will be ANTI-COMMUNIST spirits!  Potential buyers of nearby multi million dollar homes, you've been warned!

In all seriousness, Irvine should be honored to host a veterans cemetery.  Last I checked, neither Westwood CA nor Arlington VA are ghettos.  We enjoy democracy, representative government, the rule of law, free expression, and human rights because some brave people were willing to fight and die to get it and keep it. I'm no military worshipper, I believe in General Patton's observation that not all who die in combat are heroes, some get killed because they are stupid.  Nevertheless, the critics of the vet cemetery should remember that they should be thankful to our vets that they are able to publicly oppose and petition against the vet cemetery and not be sent to a reeducation camp like they surely would if they did the same thing back in their old country. If you don't like it, you don't have to live there.

Heh... happiness brings up a very good point, one of the reasons why yaliu can even protest a vet cemetery is because of the vets that died to give us that right.

#Irony

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh... happiness brings up a very good point, one of the reasons why yaliu can even protest a vet cemetery is because of the vets that died to give us that right.

#Irony

Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion.

unless you are against a particular/special board member who accuses me of personal attack. I am about to be banned?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#Irony

#whosBanningYou?

unless you are against a particular/special board member who accuses me of personal attack. I am about to be banned?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#Irony

got a warning from admin. she gets a free pass by ridiculing Irvine and its residents all the time. Not sure what's the point for her to do that? Isn't she happy with her life at Foothill Ranch?

eyephone said:
#whosBanningYou?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#Irony

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#Irony

Including signing a petition? Try that is some non-US countries and see how far it gets.

Happiness said:
In all seriousness, Irvine should be honored to host a veterans cemetery.  Last I checked, neither Westwood CA nor Arlington VA are ghettos.  We enjoy democracy, representative government, the rule of law, free expression, and human rights because some brave people were willing to fight and die to get it and keep it. I'm no military worshipper, I believe in General Patton's observation that not all who die in combat are heroes, some get killed because they are stupid.  Nevertheless, the critics of the vet cemetery should remember that they should be thankful to our vets that they are able to publicly oppose and petition against the vet cemetery and not be sent to a reeducation camp like they surely would if they did the same thing back in their old country. If you don't like it, you don't have to live there.

Thank you.  You said what I was thinking much better than I did with the sarcasm and balloon. ;)

Back