Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

irvinehomeowner said:
$ > Feng Shui > Casper

IHO, if there are two similar house.  they both asking for 1M.  one address is 123 and another is 144.  which house will you pick and why?

yaliu07 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
$ > Feng Shui > Casper

IHO, if there are two similar house.  they both asking for 1M.  one address is 123 and another is 144.  which house will you pick and why?
Uh... you are breaking the equation.

The price/location/features has to be less for 144 for me (or any FCB) to buy it.

That's why $ is at the top of the equation.

If 144 were $944k and 123 was $1.288m, I'm sure 144 would go first.

?_?  I'm ethnic Chinese and I'd gladly buy a home next to a nice cemetery for quiet neighbors and parkland access.  Preferably with a population of small game (rabbits, squirrels) as 4-legged 500 calorie protein bars in case of emergency.

Mainlanders have been living under communist rule for over 6 decades.  Communism is about getting the lower classes to attack the middle class to attack the upper class, who are competition for power to the political elite.  When the upper class is killed off, and middle class destroyed so they cannot climb to upper class, the elites can dream that they'd be in power forever.  This is not a system of cooperation, it's one where the relationship between men is like that of wolves. 

Deng Xiaoping knew this and did what he could to reform the system.  However his efforts and that of his successors were more concerned with "hardware" aspect of agriculture/economic/scientific/national defense development, and less on "software' aspect of human development.  Beijing Government had to tell Taxi drivers not to spit out the window for 2008 Olympics.  In contrast, Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore prioritized & forced the "software" development by turning Singapore into a FINE city where feeding the birds or not flushing the toilet is a $500 FINE.

The Irvine that I knew was a city where young couples could afford a home and raise a family.  When I first moved to Irvine I was on first name basis with my neighbors and we exchanged phone #'s and had BBQ gatherings by the pool.  Years later I find myself among neighbors who did not want to talk to me and respond to my "good morning" greeting with a grunt.  I had to go buy another house in a "lesser" city's cul-de-sac where I'm on my neighbor's facebook, I walk their dog, attend their baby showers, we have each other's house keys for emergencies, and they pick up my mail while I'm on vacation.

Maybe, just maybe when fewer snobbish rich people move into this city, and more "ghetto" people (as Yaliu puts it) move in, I'd consider moving back to my house in Irvine and, when i say "good morning" to someone, that person will respond with a smile and "Buenos dias se?or".  In the mean time, if the cemetery gets build and it's nice, you might find me there during lunch break with a croque monsieur or shooter's sandwich.

momopi said:
Communism is about getting the lower classes to attack the middle class to attack the upper class, who are competition for power to the political elite.

As momo indicates, after the Communist takeover of mainland China, the well off became "class enemies" who were hunted down by gangs of Red Guards.  One of the ways Communist thugs identified class enemies was to look for people displaying good manners in public.  At that time, having good manners in mainland China could cost you your life so the educated and formerly well off people had to act like backwards peasants as a survival tactic: "look at me, I spit on the sidewalk and put my bare feet on the restaurant table so I can't be a member of the bourgeoisie!"  Now, the Communists are embarrassed by the behavior of their own people overseas.  Too bad, you reap what you sow. 

irvinehomeowner said:
If FCBs will still buy a house with a '4' address... they will still buy near a cemetery.

#NotAllFCBsAreSuperstitious

I guess you don't know the magnitude of the cemetary to a Chinese born buyer. Our close friend told us they found a house in a gated community in Fullerton. (She Speaks English fluently)  Then she told us about the place she really liked, how she went to the open house, it has a park close by so her kids can play, she loves the layout of the house etc. blah blah.

I just said one sentence - you mean those houses across the cemetary. I showed her the map on my phone. Then it looked like her face turned pale and she said never mind.

I have family that lives around there, so I know it like that are like the back of my hand.

In summary, the cemetary is a no no.

irvinehomeowner said:
yaliu07 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
$ > Feng Shui > Casper

Uh... you are breaking the equation.

The price/location/features has to be less for 144 for me (or any FCB) to buy it.

That's why $ is at the top of the equation.

If 144 were $944k and 123 was $1.288m, I'm sure 144 would go first.

my understanding is that if two house have similar year build, similar square feet, similar lot size, within a mile (close by) and etc,

IHO will buy
[list type=decimal]
[*]123 if both have similar asking price
[*]144 if 144 is reduced by 344K (1.288M - 944k)
[/list]

since these two house are very similar, then they should have similar asking price.  but now 144 most likely will attract less buyer because of feng shu.

this can apply same to the cemetery.  that's one of the reason why we want to relocate the cemetery.

I don't want to offend my fellow asian TI members but why the heck do you guys believe in feng shui? You guys know its all bullshit right? You guys are supposed to be the smart minority.  You guys disappoint me :-(

And the whole number four thing is that feng shui as well or some other stupid belief?

momopi said:
?_?  I'm ethnic Chinese and I'd gladly buy a home next to a nice cemetery for quiet neighbors and parkland access.  Preferably with a population of small game (rabbits, squirrels) as 4-legged 500 calorie protein bars in case of emergency.

Mainlanders have been living under communist rule for over 6 decades.  Communism is about getting the lower classes to attack the middle class to attack the upper class, who are competition for power to the political elite.  When the upper class is killed off, and middle class destroyed so they cannot climb to upper class, the elites can dream that they'd be in power forever.  This is not a system of cooperation, it's one where the relationship between men is like that of wolves. 

Deng Xiaoping knew this and did what he could to reform the system.  However his efforts and that of his successors were more concerned with "hardware" aspect of agriculture/economic/scientific/national defense development, and less on "software' aspect of human development.  Beijing Government had to tell Taxi drivers not to spit out the window for 2008 Olympics.  In contrast, Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore prioritized & forced the "software" development by turning Singapore into a FINE city where feeding the birds or not flushing the toilet is a $500 FINE.

The Irvine that I knew was a city where young couples could afford a home and raise a family.  When I first moved to Irvine I was on first name basis with my neighbors and we exchanged phone #'s and had BBQ gatherings by the pool.  Years later I find myself among neighbors who did not want to talk to me and respond to my "good morning" greeting with a grunt.  I had to go buy another house in a "lesser" city's cul-de-sac where I'm on my neighbor's facebook, I walk their dog, attend their baby showers, we have each other's house keys for emergencies, and they pick up my mail while I'm on vacation.

Maybe, just maybe when fewer snobbish rich people move into this city, and more "ghetto" people (as Yaliu puts it) move in, I'd consider moving back to my house in Irvine and, when i say "good morning" to someone, that person will respond with a smile and "Buenos dias se?or".  In the mean time, if the cemetery gets build and it's nice, you might find me there during lunch break with a croque monsieur or shooter's sandwich.

it seems alot of people prefer cemetery because they dont LIVE in Irvine.
alot of people wants to relocate cemetery because they are close by resident. 

i will be very happy to vote to relocate to momopi's city. 
this is a win win situation.  it is good for our veteran.  it is good for momopi because he wants quiet neighbors.

Yaliu - what if I told you I had the hookup at the department of defense to get you buried at this veterans cemetery. Would that change your mind? That way you can spend this life and the next in irvine. Let me know.

qwerty said:
Yaliu - what if I told you I had the hookup at the department of defense to get you buried at this veterans cemetery. Would that change your mind? That way you can spend this life and the next in irvine. Let me know.

it is way too early for me to decide.  but my answer is probably not.  i think i will probably bury in rose hill (S. CA) or China or (maybe other RED state).

qwerty said:
I don't want to offend my fellow asian TI members but why the heck do you guys believe in feng shui? You guys know its all bullshit right? You guys are supposed to be the smart minority.  You guys disappoint me :-(

And the whole number four thing is that feng shui as well or some other stupid belief?

why does some building have 13th floor.  why is there a store called 7-11.

my reasons to relocate the cemetery
[list type=decimal]
[*]feng shui
[*]ghost
[*]house resale value
[*]gun shot salute
[/list]

so far, no one gave us a reason why cemetery can NOT relocate to less residential area or less asian area.

What does 7-11 have to do with the price of tea in china?

7-11 got it's name because it had extended hours, from 7 AM to 11 PM back in the day.

yaliu07 said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]feng shui
[*]ghost
[*]house resale value
[*]gun shot salute
[/list]

so far, no one gave us a reason why cemetery can NOT relocate to less residential area or less asian area.

So you've said 1000 times. No ones given you a reason bc I don't think ppl really care.  The same reason you got a low turnout at whatever protest. And low # of signatures. Sure, the cemetary may alienate a few buyers but all you need is one buyer. You don't need the masses to love your home at resale.

bones said:
yaliu07 said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]feng shui
[*]ghost
[*]house resale value
[*]gun shot salute
[/list]

So you've said 1000 times. No ones given you a reason bc I don't think ppl really care.  The same reason you got a low turnout at whatever protest. And low # of signatures. Sure, the cemetary may alienate a few buyers but all you need is one buyer. You don't need the masses to love your home at resale.

Everybody is like whatevers now, but wait until the cemetery is built. Who knows people's attitude might change when its built.

yaliu07 said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]feng shui
[*]ghost
[*]house resale value
[*]gun shot salute
[/list]

I like that reason: gun shot salute
#Funny

yaliu07 said:
So when did Pavilion Park become an "asian area"?

And when did race become a criteria of where a cemetery should be built?

The proposed cemetery site is buffered by a park so that is "less residential".

If FCBs will buy on toxic land, next to a landfill, on a T,  next to a freeway, etc, they will still buy next to Casperville if the price is right.

Why isn't yaliu worried more about the jail? I would be more wary of the living than the dead.

irvinehomeowner said:
yaliu07 said:
So when did Pavilion Park become an "asian area"?

And when did race become a criteria of where a cemetery should be built?

The proposed cemetery site is buffered by a park so that is "less residential".

If FCBs will buy on toxic land, next to a landfill, on a T,  next to a freeway, etc, they will still buy next to Casperville if the price is right.

Why isn't yaliu worried more about the jail? I would be more wary of the living than the dead.

Who knows Yaliu might march from PP to Irvine City Hall.  ;)

Back