Valentine's Day Plans

Posting this because I saw it in a friend's Valentine's Day FB post & thought it was funny (not because it's my reality.)

1016542_625854360796985_503695385_n.jpg

Went to get some sea urchin because my wife's the uni one for me and the restaurant was out!  :'( 

Luckily the happiest place on earth helped whip up the mood so it wasn't so dole!

Attention, men of T.I. Here is your annual public service announcement courtesy of me:

Valentine's Day is this coming Saturday.

I snuck off last night to buy Mr. SoCal a card and a box of chocolates. But this time, I got caught red-handed when he saw me bringing it home. He said he's glad that happened, though, because he COMPLETELY forgot Valentine's Day is this week so that was his only reminder.  ???

Has anyone used ProFlowers or Sharrie's Berries?

I don't recommend them.

First off, with ProFlowers, the recipient has to "build" their arrangment. They send you the flowers in one box and the vase in another.

As for Sharrie's, the first time I used them, they were okay, but the second time, the strawberries tasted fermented. To their credit, they did send a new order (got cherries instead of strawberries) but still not a good experience.

So to all you fellas out there listening to those 1800Flowers or ProFlowers ads on ESPN710, just go with a local florist for a better result. :)

Ah! I just saw a commercial for Shari's Berries for the first time the other night. I thought maybe it was a new company or something. It sounded like a good idea! Sorry your berries were fermented. If you aged them a few more days, you could pass them off as fancy-dancy hooch berries.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:

I don't recommend them.

First off, with ProFlowers, the recipient has to "build" their arrangment. They send you the flowers in one box and the vase in another.

As for Sharrie's, the first time I used them, they were okay, but the second time, the strawberries tasted fermented. To their credit, they did send a new order (got cherries instead of strawberries) but still not a good experience.

So to all you fellas out there listening to those 1800Flowers or ProFlowers ads on ESPN710, just go with a local florist for a better result. :)

I know one (or some) of the big e-florists subcontract out to the local shops.  The local shop does the delivery with the vase/bow/flowers/whole nine yards.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I don't recommend them.

I know one (or some) of the big e-florists subcontract out to the local shops.  The local shop does the delivery with the vase/bow/flowers/whole nine yards.
I think 1800Flowers does use locals.

But they might not do it on the "specials". I used ProFlowers twice... and both times it was flowers in one box, vase in the other... bleh.

Yup, yup. FTD contracts with local florists, too. I usually use that kind of service when I'm sending to someone in a distant place and I can't be there to pick out or deliver the flowers on my own or am unfamiliar with the florists in their area. At least this way, the florist is going to follow the pic in the FTD calogue so it is not being bought completely sight-unseen and it will be at a predictable price. If it's someone I will see in person, then I just pick them out on my own at the shop.

Iho, what do you mean the recipient builds their own arrangement? You mean like if you send your wife a bouquet, she gets a notification to pick what goes in it? I think that sounds cool!

SoCal said:
Iho, what do you mean the recipient builds their own arrangement? You mean like if you send your wife a bouquet, she gets a notification to pick what goes in it? I think that sounds cool!
No, what I mean is the flowers are packed in separate box than the vase.

So when it's delivered, she has to put the flowers herself into the vase. I guess she can choose which flowers to put in if you've ordered a variety but the point is when you use a local florist, the arrangement is already done... no extra work.

Just got back from grocery shopping. Holy cow. It was RAINING MEN in the floral department and gift section! Why do men ALWAYS wait until THE LAST MINUTE. For flowers, ok, fine, you want them fresh. But some of them looked like crazed maniacs, scrambling around all stressed out to find a card and something to go with the bouquet. I was speaking with the store manager and this random dude butted into our conversation to demand attention. This reminds me of when I used to work in retail in high school and men would come in 10 minutes before closing the day before Christmas, telling me, "I'll take anything. Whatever you have left. I'll take it. Just wrap it." They literally did not care WHAT it was. Something. Anything. Desperation!

Last-minute gift idea:

Book of "coupons".

Nod, nod. Wink, wink. Know what I mean?, Know what I mean?!

Valentine's Day Is Tomorrow!!

My 1 month reminder is back.

Men of TI, if you want to make restaurant reservations, now is the best time to do it while you can still get a good time slot.

Except for Iho. He'll be grilling steaks in his trusty Borat mankini.

So tired. Got off at 11 p.m.. Went to the store. Got a box of a hundred pink rose petals, etc. Came home, cleaned the dining room while everyone was fast asleep. Signed cards telling my boys how proud I am of them and that I love them. Started decorating. I lined up the rose petals all down the middle of the dining table. I set out place mats, Valentine plates, heart napkins, and placed a box of chocolate chip muffins in the center of the table with some candy for after school. Propped their cards up. I finally finished around 1:30 this morning and then I couldn't fall asleep until 2:30. They came downstairs for breakfast in the morning and saw what I set out for them. They were happy, I think? They didn't say much. lol.

Back