TV

SoCal said:
Catfish is on tonight! Who's watching?

"Maybe she's some super sexy farmer's daughter." Or a big hairy guy. You never know what's on the other end of an e-romance.

doh.gif

My crystal ball was right. This show is becoming predictable.

Teo was in on it 100%. No way a star linebacker at ND has an online only girlfriend. He should go on Oprah as well and should just fess up to it.

qwerty said:
Teo was in on it 100%. No way a star linebacker at ND has an online only girlfriend. He should go on Oprah as well and should just fess up to it.

I thought it was weird that on the last episode of Catfish, the guy being catfished is the star lacrosse player at his high school and is Mr. Popular. He and the show's creator, Nev, both said they are kindred spirits because they have / had plenty of options for dating girls in their circle of friends but pursued the online romances instead. The high school kid was in it for 2 years and said he wasn't seeing anyone else because the other girls play head games, whatever that means, whereas he was more drawn to his online "girlfriend". Not saying that's the situation with Teo, but it seems possible since it's happened twice on the show. Then again, I think some of these kids cook things up just to be on TV, and yes, I'll say including Nev's "documentary"... much in the same way Teo would.

qwerty said:

ADD to complete the story. So, the player was played by someone who knew him very well?
If so, yes, Oprah please- Lance's story didn't do much.

On another note, how many of you have created profiles/online identities that represent the collective image of people around you, but barely the real you?

SoCal said:
CZ - do you watch Teen Mom 2?

:-[ I barely watch TV. Other than catching up some movies on Netflix instant streaming (no patience to wait for DVD to arrive in mail) and Last Man Standing on ABC online, not much of tube time.

Cubic Zirconia said:
On another note, how many of you have created profiles/online identities that represent the collective image of people around you, but barely the real you?

You get bonus points for creativity. I wouldn't have thought to create a "mosaic" i.d. featuring the qualities of those around me but it's certainly is interesting - wow. Yet another sign you were born a gifted writer / story teller. It takes a creative genius to breathe life into that and keep it consistent & believable.

I'll fess up to having one very boring fake Facebook profile in addition to my own real one. I very, very rarely log in to it  - not even sure I still remember the password - but I have never / would never punk anyone with it, would never "catfish" some poor sucker with it. I read that Facebook still gets 1 million new profiles every day. I laughed when I read that, feeling confident a solid 60% are fakes.

Off to snoop through your friend's list to find this amalgamated character...  ;)

LOL! Cubic Zirconia is as real as she gets, probably more than Mrs. Joshi herself on fakebook :) But here is my confession: I used to be on a Finance board, talking 3X leveraged stocks. I didn't want to be an only woman there, so I made a profile name that didn't give away the gender. Everyone assumed I was a guy, and I played along. Until.. they all wanted to have a meet up, for a beer. Uh-Oh moment. Dropped out of discussions slowly and never returned to the website. But-but-but, before I dropped out, another woman joined the forum. I was obviously ultra nice to her, and she started sending me offliners..another uh-oh!

BTW, Cubic Zirconia was created to be creative online without letting friends know that it was their friend so that they can give unbiased opinion.

NEV (Catfish creator) RESPONDS TO TE'O CONTROVERSY! Wheeee!http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1700336/manti-teo-catfish-nev-schulman.jhtml

""My reaction is, quite frankly, no different from my reaction on the show. It doesn't really change anything for me that this victim is a high-profile football player. I think it can and obviously does happen to anyone," Schulman said. "When you make a connection with someone online, oftentimes it feels a little limited, but also safe. And people, strangely, are more comfortable sharing information about themselves sometimes with strangers online, simply because it's someone who is outside of their normal circle of friends, much in the same way you share things with a therapist. People get very close with these online friends."

I completely agree!!

Ooooh, same, same here! When I started IHB, I wanted a vague androgynous name, neither here nor there - so I picked SoCal78. My avatar was a photo of Dwight Schrute to throw 'em off the tracks.  ::) People don't take us seriously on financial issues when we're women. It was a boy's club and I wanted to play in the sandbox, too.  :) Eventually, I just decided to be the most real me possible and see what happens. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have met so many great people here IRL if I hadn't.  :) I think there are some people here who are more guarded because of the "W" word (women? - ick.) but... you win some, you lose some.

Cubic Zirconia said:
LOL! Cubic Zirconia is as real as she gets, probably more than Mrs. Joshi herself on fakebook :) But here is my confession: I used to be on a Finance board, talking 3X leveraged stocks. I didn't want to be an only woman there, so I made a profile name that didn't give away the gender. Everyone assumed I was a guy, and I played along. Until.. they all wanted to have a meet up, for a beer. Uh-Oh moment. Dropped out of discussions slowly and never returned to the website. But-but-but, before I dropped out, another woman joined the forum. I was obviously ultra nice to her, and she started sending me offliners..another uh-oh!

BTW, Cubic Zirconia was created to be creative online without letting friends know that it was their friend so that they can give unbiased opinion.

"leaving some to wonder if the two were somehow using the supposed relationship to cook up publicity for the Notre Dame star's burgeoning Heisman campaign."

SoCal doesn't know who this guy Te'o really is (other than the fact he's hot - whoops) and I don't follow sports. Somebody tell me what the above quote means -- is the Heisman awarded as a sympathy trophy? It doesn't make sense. Why does the school even concern themselves with whether the online girlfriend is real or not. I don't get it. I'm guessing what the critics are saying is he was making a faux attempt at showing how he overcame obstacles and still did a great job on the field in spite of it, therefore deserving of the trophy. But why would he need to do that when his... grandma, was it?... died at the same time as the supposed girlfriend death.

There is no Pain Olympics.

SoCal  - the heisman trophy is given to the most outstanding football player in college football. Each candidates athletic department typically launches a heisman campaign with the voters to get their guy the win. The "death" of his girlfriend just added to the campaign, making him the sentimental favorite. Two still lost to Johnny football, the qb from Texas A&M.

Apparently teo will be answering questions from the media soon. It amazes me, how many examples of athletes being forgiven by fans/public are out there when they just come clean. What they are less forgiving on is when they know your lying and u continue to lie, which is where this guy is headed. His draft status was dropping after the Alabama game and can only believe this will hurt him further as teams question his decision making/integrity

The voters are all sports media related such as la times writers, people on espn, sports radio hosts. They don't need a publication. Also, every past heisman winner gets a vote.

Who watched the Katie Couric interview with Te'o??

After watching it, I believe the only lying on his part took place after the phone call from "beyond the grave". Once he realized he had been duped by a gay guy who has a crush on him, he couldn't come to terms with it himself let alone divulge all this to the media. Prior to that, he believed he was speaking to a woman - and he should. They played one of the recordings and it was clearly a woman, in my opinion and in expert opinion. Apparently the other man got his female cousin to do the phone chats while the man did the texting & online stuff.

SoCal said:
Who watched the Katie Couric interview with Te'o??

After watching it, I believe the only lying on his part took place after the phone call from "beyond the grave". Once he realized he had been duped by a gay guy who has a crush on him, he couldn't come to terms with it himself let alone divulge all this to the media. Prior to that, he believed he was speaking to a woman - and he should. They played one of the recordings and it was clearly a woman, in my opinion and in expert opinion. Apparently the other man got his female cousin to do the phone chats while the man did the texting & online stuff.

I didn't watch the interview but I've followed the story a little.  I would agree that Te'o was innocent until after he got that phone call.  As one article put it...even if Te'o was one of the masterminds behind this hoax, a lot of things would have to fall into place to make this hoax help his Heisman stock (i.e. undefeated season, Te'o performing well, etc.)

Understandably, he probably could have handled things differently.  But put yourself in his shoes, there were a lot of emotions at the time he found out: Heisman ceremony that upcoming weekend, he just won multiple collegiate awards, BCS championship game coming up, etc.  I can see why he reacted that way even though I may not agree with it.

So... uh... is anyone watching American Idol?

The guy who had his tonsils removed that caused a speech impediment sings surprisingly well.

irvinehomeowner said:
So... uh... is anyone watching American Idol?

The guy who had his tonsils removed that caused a speech impediment sings surprisingly well.

I'm watching Idol although at first I was tempted to skip this season due to Nicki Minaj's abrasive personality. She's sort of growing on me, I guess, but I found her super irritating at the start.

Her smile is exactly like Happy Bunny's in my photo.
<======

The guy with the throat nerve damage is a great singer but that fact combined with all the liars on this show make me wonder if he's faking his speech impediment. The most recent liar was Timothy Poe described in this article HERE. He tried to tug some heart strings during his audition, bringing his wee little girl with him, saying he was a vet wounded in combat by an IED when really his hospitalization was brought about from combining acne meds with booze - a dangerous combo, apparently. He never saw combat.

Back