Tustin Condo around I-5 and 55

gld2

I am looking for some condos in Tustin around I-5 and 55,  the price has been increased, but not as much as south orange county.  How safe is that area?  how about the rent for 2 bedroom condo?  Thank you

SoCal is jaded after living in irvine and FHR. It's just regular working class people. I drive up and down red hill all the time, I've never seen anything that would make me call it ghetto. Definitely not the nicely manicured streets of irvine. But if you don't feel comfortable around working class and brown folk then you may think its ghetto. No good schools serve the area but your renters wouldn't care about that

qwerty said:
SoCal is jaded after living in irvine and FHR. It's just regular working class people. But if you don't feel comfortable around working class and brown folk then you may think its ghetto.

So silly. I'm a product of the working class -- I grew up in a blue-collared household. I'm the daughter of a slaughterhouse worker / meat cutter turned warehouseman with five kids and no education. Why would I be uncomfortable unless there was a reason to be?? It's me.

We were there about 2 years. Here are some of the things I remember: 1 robbery, 1 attempted robbery in progress while I was home, gunshots ringing out on several occasions, and 1 Peeping Tom who preyed on ME at night and succeeded, unfortunately - caught in the act. Termites galore - due to age and condition of property you have in that area. I've also never seen an area more infested with cockroaches. Our aunt lives off 17th & Prospect where it's a big problem and was for us all the way down at Red Hill next to the 5. I also used to work at the post office on Newport Ave. & 1st (T*ustin Comm*unity Ph*armacy and Pos*t Off*ice) - people in that area trying to pass bad checks, run money order and postal scams, etc. - more often than I saw at the other locations I've worked at. Maybe the "working class" there has something to do with the need for that. Mr. SoCal did jury duty for a case that took place right across the street from us - one of our neighbors... another break-in.

Just my 2 cents as having lived there.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
SoCal is jaded after living in irvine and FHR. It's just regular working class people. But if you don't feel comfortable around working class and brown folk then you may think its ghetto.

So silly. I'm a product of the working class -- I grew up in a blue-collared household. I'm the daughter of a slaughterhouse worker / meat cutter turned warehouseman with five kids and no education. Why would I be uncomfortable unless there was a reason to be?? It's me.

We were there about 2 years. Here are some of the things I remember: 1 robbery, 1 attempted robbery in progress while I was home, gunshots ringing out on several occasions, and 1 Peeping Tom who preyed on ME at night and succeeded, unfortunately - caught in the act. Termites galore - due to age and condition of property you have in that area. I've also never seen an area more infested with cockroaches. Our aunt lives off 17th & Prospect where it's a big problem and was for us all the way down at Red Hill next to the 5. I also used to work at the post office on Newport Ave. & 1st (T*ustin Comm*unity Ph*armacy and Pos*t Off*ice) - people in that area trying to pass bad checks, run money order and postal scams, etc. - more often than I saw at the other locations I've worked at. Maybe the "working class" there has something to do with the need for that. Mr. SoCal did jury duty for a case that took place right across the street from us - one of our neighbors... another break-in.

Just my 2 cents as having lived there.

None of those things happen in irvine or FHR right?  Maybe I feel more comfortable cause I'm a guy and blend in a little better.

It's these areas that get you a positive cash flow return. I'm not sure many places in irvine get you a positive cash flow return. You'll get higher appreciation in irvine

qwerty said:
None of those things happen in irvine or FHR right?  Maybe I feel more comfortable cause I'm a guy and blend in a little better.

I'm just talking about what I've experienced first-hand in that little corridor of Tustin. I'm happy to report the biggest crime that's happened to me in FHR in the last 2 years was a massive egging of my front door. I'll take a yolk over a bullet... 'cause a bullet is no yolking matter -- Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week!!  :D

dont get me wrong, its not the best of areas, but i know that i would call it ghetto. i used to live in redondo beach, some parts of red hill look similar to parts of artesia, except most people walking around redondo are white.  i guess it just comes down to what you consider ghetto, for me to call it ghetto i need to have some element of fear, it sounds like you did. i just havent experienced any of that, with that said, i dont live in the immediate area off the 5/55.

For the original poster, its always best to know the area you are investing in, you should just go drive/walk around there and get a feel for yourself.

It's a pretty rugged area with car break ins a fairly common issue. If you're going to rent, be sure to have good parking. If you're buying, it's an area where you'll likely have strong demand by tenants. At that point in time it's merely a question of how thorough you are in screening your applicants.

Tyler Durden said:
qwerty said:
dont get me wrong, its not the best of areas, but i know that i would call it ghetto. i used to live in redondo beach, some parts of red hill look similar to parts of artesia, except most people walking around redondo are white.  i guess it just comes down to what you consider ghetto, for me to call it ghetto i need to have some element of fear, it sounds like you did. i just havent experienced any of that, with that said, i dont live in the immediate area off the 5/55.

For the original poster, its always best to know the area you are investing in, you should just go drive/walk around there and get a feel for yourself.

I think its not ghetto unless you have a real risk of getting blasted during the day at any point.  E.g. "innocent bystander" always ends up getting shot & killed.

Just because its low / middle income isn't necessarily a bad neighborhood.  Though, SoCal has indicated that there are certainly some criminal elements practicing over there.

But of course, nothing i have seen in Orange County is as bad as Newark, South-side Chicago, Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, West Oakland, etc.

Ahhh... I miss Oakland!! NOT!

Thank yoy all.  It will be a rental.  The prices in the South County have soaring too much.  It seems the price in Tustin is still ok, which means the rent can cover the mortgage, taxes and insurances.

gld2 said:
Thank yoy all.  It will be a rental.  The prices in the South County have soaring too much.  It seems the price in Tustin is still ok, which means the rent can cover the mortgage, taxes and insurances.

i can collect your rent checks for a 10% cut  :)

qwerty said:
gld2 said:

i can collect your rent checks for a 10% cut  :)
qwerter has enforcers:

mean-chihuahua.jpeg

How much are Columbus Square condos going for in Tustin nowadays?  Looks like a movie set with all the 3 story condos.  Makes me want to go to one of them and tip them over.

FranchisePlr said:
How much are Columbus Square condos going for in Tustin nowadays?  Looks like a movie set with all the 3 story condos.  Makes me want to go to one of them and tip them over.

i briefly thought about having USC Trojan put an offer on this for me but the numbers didnt quite work out. total out the door each month would be about 3K and the rent would probably fetch 2,500-2,600? and to top it off we cant deduct rental losses.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/1476-Valencia-Ave-92782/home/12255174

Back