Trump Tax Reform and Home Prices

Your quarrel is with the non-partisan Tax Policy Center, not with me.

Non-partisan analysis: GOP tax plan would raise taxes on 50% of US

Trump spoke as the Tax Policy Center said that while all income groups would see tax reductions, on average, under the Senate bill in 2019, 9 percent of taxpayers would pay higher taxes that year than under current law. By 2027, that proportion would grow to 50 percent, largely because the legislation?s personal tax cuts expire in 2026, which Republicans did to curb budget deficits the bill would create.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/non-partisan-analysis-gop-tax-plan-would-raise-taxes-50-us

Liar Loan said:
Your quarrel is with the non-partisan Tax Policy Center, not with me.

Non-partisan analysis: GOP tax plan would raise taxes on 50% of US

Trump spoke as the Tax Policy Center said that while all income groups would see tax reductions, on average, under the Senate bill in 2019, 9 percent of taxpayers would pay higher taxes that year than under current law. By 2027, that proportion would grow to 50 percent, largely because the legislation?s personal tax cuts expire in 2026, which Republicans did to curb budget deficits the bill would create.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/non-partisan-analysis-gop-tax-plan-would-raise-taxes-50-us

What about the Family Flexibility Credit and Child Tax Credit?

That expiration is wickedly brilliant.

If Republican's lose control of the house, taxes start to climb.  If they lose the Senate, taxes start to climb.  Whomever comes after Trump, taxes start to climb.

Tax cuts have to be passed just to maintain taxes at the perceived current level in 3 years.  Tax cuts get passed and someone is getting a giant tax increase to keep the deficit at a merely horrid.

Real politik.

It's a giant f-u to whomever comes next.

nosuchreality said:
That expiration is wickedly brilliant.

If Republican's lose control of the house, taxes start to climb.  If they lose the Senate, taxes start to climb.  Whomever comes after Trump, taxes start to climb.

Tax cuts have to be passed just to maintain taxes at the perceived current level in 3 years.  Tax cuts get passed and someone is getting a giant tax increase to keep the deficit at a merely horrid.

Real politik.

It's a giant f-u to whomever comes next.

Been there done that ...

I think all of this Tax reform and Home Price business effects all markets differently because local markets are more often effected by local factors. I do not think this will have any major long term impact on the market here. The inventory remains low, properties that come with land are very limited, and what is left on the market is not much at all. It may be November but there seems to be very little on the market. What happens to home prices if Amazon shows up, Olympics in LA increases traffic, Silicon Valley folks decide to come to Irvine, Broadcom turns into a bloated cow by purchasing Qualcomm and moving those people to Irvine from SD. Local factors. The cost to build keep going up, watch out!

An accountant told me home prices are going to drop in 2018 because of this new tax plan.
Standard deduction goes from 12,000 to 24,000, and there are less itemized deductions one can take.

One big incentive to borrow a lot of money for a house is the mortgage deduction.  This new tax plans kills that incentive.

There will be no more personal exemptions either for those who itemize. For a family of 4, that?s a $16k deduction loss. Seems like there will be nothing left to itemize outside of 10k of prop tax, mid and charity.

I can see a lot of Irvine people no longer itemizing deductions. If your mortgage interest plus charity is less than 14k, no real need to itemize with std deduct at 24k.

i1 said:
There will be no more personal exemptions either for those who itemize. For a family of 4, that?s a $16k deduction loss. Seems like there will be nothing left to itemize outside of 10k of prop tax, mid and charity.

I can see a lot of Irvine people no longer itemizing deductions. If your mortgage interest plus charity is less than 14k, no real need to itemize with std deduct at 24k.

senate bill doesnt have the 10k property tax deduction provision.

America First brigade rode to the rescue on carried interest loophole

During his time in the White House, Steve Bannon was infamous for using a whiteboard to track all of President Trump's campaign promises to help him deliver on those promises in office. On the top left corner of the white board read a promise made repeatedly on the campaign trail to nix the carried interest loophole.

For those that don't know, the carried interest loophole in the tax code allows hedge funds and private equity to treat their profits from investments as long-term capital gains, rather than income. In other words it allows their profits to be taxed at a much lower rate than they would be otherwise.

While most America First conservatives (including myself and President Trump) would like to see significantly lower tax rates for all, the president correctly pointed out that financial elites have routinely abused the carried interest loophole.

Instead of using it as a means to make long-term investments, hedge funds and other entities often use the benefit solely as a way to shield their taxable income.

Long-term capital gains tax rates were not meant to be used and abused by hedge funds looking to make a quick dollar; they were meant to encourage long-term investment. The president's opposition to it on the campaign was a signal that financial elites would no longer run roughshod over the American people or our tax code.

I was excited to see House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-Texas) include a fix to the carried interest loophole in the House version of the tax bill. With this fix, investors will have to hold onto their investments for a minimum of three years before being allowed to use carried interest and thus receiving the lower long-term capital gains tax rate.

This fix got to the heart of the president's original opposition to carried interest: that it was being constantly abused. And upon announcing the carried interest fix, it didn't take long for the president's most trusted America First campaign aides to come out in support of the idea.

His former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski praised Brady for the move and even Bannon praised the fix. In his statement in support of the fix, Bannon got to the heart of the matter:

?I have long called for the elimination of the carried interest loophole but I believe that the proposal in the House tax bill requiring investments be held for a minimum of 3 years to qualify for capital gains is a good way of eliminating short-term financial engineering that benefits no one, while encouraging long-term investments that create good paying jobs.?

President Trump, Bannon and Lewandowski all understand the need for long-term investments to create good-paying jobs, but all of them also understand the difference between that and the short-term financial engineering that benefits no one besides those doing it.

This proposed fix allows for the former and ends the latter. Fortunately, shortly after Bannon and Lewandowski came out in favor of the deal, leadership in the Senate followed suit and announced that they too would support it. 

While some financial elites might not like it, by fixing the carried interest loophole, President Trump is making good on his number one promise to the American people: to always put them first.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...rigade-rode-to-the-rescue-on-carried-interest

Not having $10k cap on property taxes would hurt Texans too and hence, shouldn't be part of the final bill

My .02 cents

newPParker said:
i1 said:

senate bill doesnt have the 10k property tax deduction provision.

I'm not sure if anyone has a calculator, but the whole f--ing point of the caps is to prevent almost anyone from taking itemized deductions.

Standard Deduction: $24,000

Property Tax Max: $10,000
Interest capped at $500k loan (using my interest rate of 2.75%): $13,200

Total: $23,200

paperboyNC said:
I'm not sure if anyone has a calculator, but the whole f--ing point of the caps is to prevent almost anyone from taking itemized deductions.

Standard Deduction: $24,000

Property Tax Max: $10,000
Interest capped at $500k loan (using my interest rate of 2.75%): $13,200

Total: $23,200

In addition to this, you will not get any tax benefits if you have dependents? or Standard deductions are going to take care of that?

OK. I am going to sell my 1.5M home, and move into rental from an FCB owner. Then I will invest that money in Apple and Microsoft.
Way to go.

qwerty said:
There is never a big incentive to spend a dollar to save 35 cents.

The rich will go through great lengths to spend 34 cents to save 35 though.  Of course, when those cents have eight zeros behind them, it's a worthwhile effort.

The 99% though, they'll drive five miles out of their way and wait a half hour in a Costco Gas line to save $2 on a fill up of a camry.

Liar Loan said:
There will be increased child tax credits to replace dependent exemptions for those with kids.

Yes. This lessens the negative impact of this tax increase bill on my family. It will much more significantly impact anyone with non-child dependents.

paperboyNC said:
Liar Loan said:
There will be increased child tax credits to replace dependent exemptions for those with kids.

Yes. This lessens the negative impact of this tax increase bill on my family. It will much more significantly impact anyone with non-child dependents.

Those people will receive the Family Flexibility Credit.

Let's wait to see what the final tax bill looks like once it's signed into law by Trump.  Personally, I don't believe that the tax bill will have any kind of material impact on real estate in Irvine and most all of OC.  The bigger factor at play are low inventory levels and a strong economy/labor market.

Back