Trump Tax Reform and Home Prices

Pretty sure this will drag on and these dates will all change. I'm also thinking it gets eliminated but that's my opinion.

hey so should i sell my $500k home and buy $800k home or not? i'm just asking for your opinions. i'm not gonna ask you for any responsibility. i'm happy where i live now, but i was thinking of move up to a bigger home as our family is growing.

Another interesting caveat embedded deep within the plan is that it appears you must live in your primary residence for 5 years before selling for tax free gains, as opposed to only 2.  Interesting...

felixcat said:
Cutoff date is today (11/2). If your new purchase is in contract as of today, you are OK.

Refinance on existing loan is not capped by the new rule (you still have 1 mil).

See sec. 1302(c) of the new bill.

lnc said:
Ok, the mortgage interest deduction will be preserved for existing mortgages up to $1M but capped at $500,000 for newly purchased homes.

But what about refinance?  If a homeowner had a existing $500k-$999K mortgage but want to refinance, does that means they will lose the interest deduction after the refinance?

So either pay down and refinance only up to $500k or no more refinance in order to keep mortgage interest deduction. 

This will have an impact on the $500k-$999K mortgage refinances.

So after the new tax law can I close on my home with a $900k mortgage then refi a month after close so that I can deduct all my mortgage interest? 

Doesn't work that way.  Loan being replaced has to be qualifying or the replacement loan doesn't qualify either.  In addition, the replacement loan balance cannot exceed the loan balance of the qualifying loan.

?Teachers Would Lose $250 Deduction for Classroom Materials Under GOP Tax Bill

The tax bill proposed by Republican leaders yesterday scraps a benefit that many teachers have come to rely on: the $250 "educator expense deduction," which can be used to recoup the cost of classroom materials.

Teachers spend about $530 of their own money on classroom items, according to a 2016 nationally representative survey from Scholastic. In high-poverty schools, they spend about 40 percent more?an average of $672.

An Oklahoma teacher gained attention this summer by panhandling to raise money for her classroom. Photos of her begging on a highway overpass spread across social media and ultimately helped her raise $25,000 in donations.?

http://mobile.edweek.org/c.jsp?cid=25920011&item=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.edweek.org%2Fv1%2Fblog%2F62%2Findex.html%3Fuuid%3D74239

My comment: Dedicated people teaching the children. I can?t believe that teacher had to panhandle to raise money for her classroom, but it help her raise $25k.

You may think that everything is provided to the teachers. But that?s not the case.

irvine buyer said:
Unless its addressed separately, it appears that most of the provisions take effect next year
Like almost everyone who bought a new home in Irvine the past 5 years my property tax exceeds $10K. Heck many in the Great Park pay that much in CFD! So I was pondering paying my second 2017-2018 tax installment this year. I know I can deduct it this year but may not next year.

Smart tax planning or paranoia?

DrTravel said:
irvine buyer said:
Unless its addressed separately, it appears that most of the provisions take effect next year
Like almost everyone who bought a new home in Irvine the past 5 years my property tax exceeds $10K. Heck many in the Great Park pay that much in CFD! So I was pondering paying my second 2017-2018 tax installment this year. I know I can deduct it this year but may not next year.

Smart tax planning or paranoia?

I was thinking the same thing but need confirmation that if this tax law passes, will it go into effect for 2016 fiscal year. Meaning new law is for current year or next year income???

rickr said:
I was thinking the same thing but need confirmation that if this tax law passes, will it go into effect for 2016 fiscal year. Meaning new law is for current year or next year income???

From my cursory review of the bill, it seems that it *starts* 1/1/2018, and thus, would not impact your tax return until the one that you need to file on 4/15/2019.  So your tax return that you file next year will be under the "old" rules.  At least, that's what it appears as of now, but who knows?

Jantoven said:
rickr said:

From my cursory review of the bill, it seems that it *starts* 1/1/2018, and thus, would not impact your tax return until the one that you need to file on 4/15/2019.  So your tax return that you file next year will be under the "old" rules.  At least, that's what it appears as of now, but who knows?

So then it does make sense if you have prop tax due in Apr 2018, to pay it in calendar year 2017 so that it will be deductible?

If you wait until calendar year 2018 to pay the second installment, it may/will not be deductible if the law passes.

eyephone said:
?Teachers Would Lose $250 Deduction for Classroom Materials Under GOP Tax Bill

The tax bill proposed by Republican leaders yesterday scraps a benefit that many teachers have come to rely on: the $250 "educator expense deduction," which can be used to recoup the cost of classroom materials.

Teachers spend about $530 of their own money on classroom items, according to a 2016 nationally representative survey from Scholastic. In high-poverty schools, they spend about 40 percent more?an average of $672.

An Oklahoma teacher gained attention this summer by panhandling to raise money for her classroom. Photos of her begging on a highway overpass spread across social media and ultimately helped her raise $25,000 in donations.?

http://mobile.edweek.org/c.jsp?cid=25920011&item=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.edweek.org%2Fv1%2Fblog%2F62%2Findex.html%3Fuuid%3D74239

My comment: Dedicated people teaching the children. I can?t believe that teacher had to panhandle to raise money for her classroom, but it help her raise $25k.

You may think that everything is provided to the teachers. But that?s not the case.

Yep, my wife is eligible for this credit and she has exceeded $250 in classroom expenses every year that we've been together - about 14 years.  I would say her average yearly expense is $350-400.  Sometimes the PTA will reimburse $100 of that, but sometimes not.

The things she pays for are arts & crafts, classroom books, and regular school supplies.  If a kid is on the school lunch program, there's a good chance they won't show up with any supplies of their own when school starts.

TRUMP TAX PLAN:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/business...s-high-taxes-costly-housing-mean-12327807.php

As of november 2, if we buy a second home, we cannot claim mortgage interest rate deduction beyond 500K, the earlier 1 M deduction limit CAN NO LONGER be used.

HOW TRUE IS THIS? and how can they randomly just implement it?

TEXT FROM ARTICLE:

The proposal would cap the mortgage interest deduction on new home loans. Today, homeowners can deduct interest on up to $1 million in mortgage debt used to buy, build or improve a first and second home, plus up to $100,000 in other mortgage debt (such as a home-equity loan used to buy a car). For existing mortgages, those rules would not change. But starting Nov. 2, if you took out a new loan, you could only deduct interest on up to $500,000 in mortgage debt on a principal residence and no interest on new home-equity debt.

Is the only way out from this crap is to BUY house on LLC name or S-Corp Name and then make use of the proposed new20% tax bracket and rent the unit out? and claim all property expenses - mortgage interest rate deductions using company? /

dream16 said:
TRUMP TAX PLAN:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/business...s-high-taxes-costly-housing-mean-12327807.php

As of november 2, if we buy a second home, we cannot claim mortgage interest rate deduction beyond 500K, the earlier 1 M deduction limit CAN NO LONGER be used.

TEXT FROM ARTICLE:

The proposal would cap the mortgage interest deduction on new home loans. Today, homeowners can deduct interest on up to $1 million in mortgage debt used to buy, build or improve a first and second home, plus up to $100,000 in other mortgage debt (such as a home-equity loan used to buy a car). For existing mortgages, those rules would not change. But starting Nov. 2, if you took out a new loan, you could only deduct interest on up to $500,000 in mortgage debt on a principal residence and no interest on new home-equity debt.

Is the only way out from this crap is to BUY house on LLC name or S-Corp Name and then make use of the proposed new20% tax bracket and rent the unit out? and claim all property expenses - mortgage interest rate deductions using company? /

It's only a proposal at this point and who knows what the final shape will be. If you don't like it, call your representative.

dream16 said:

You don't have to form an LLC or S-Corp to run an investment property.  An LLC only provides liability protection, not tax protection, so that wouldn't help you anyway.  An S-Corp would allow you to pay a lower income tax rate, but if your main investment objective is LT capital gains then you already pay a lower rate of 15%.

peppy said:
dream16 said:
TRUMP TAX PLAN:

TEXT FROM ARTICLE:

It's only a proposal at this point and who knows what the final shape will be. If you don't like it, call your representative.

DUMB Question: if we buy 2nd and 3rd property now and lock ourselves in mortgages worth 1M - will we be GRANDFATHERED into older policy or not?

If not, then investing in US Real estate is going to loose its charm for me, perhaps time to use my canadian green card to get more bang for the buck.

Liar Loan said:
dream16 said:

You don't have to form an LLC or S-Corp to run an investment property.  An LLC only provides liability protection, not tax protection, so that wouldn't help you anyway.  An S-Corp would allow you to pay a lower income tax rate, but if your main investment objective is LT capital gains then you already pay a lower rate of 15%.

So then the S-Corp will own the properties at 15% tax rate. Now will have to figure out how the mortgage interest rate deduction will workout in this scenario - i hope upto 1M is allowed in this category? I might be confusing things here, sorry.

"Short-term capital gains are taxed at the investor's ordinary income tax rate and are defined as investments held for a year or less before being sold. Long-term capital gains, on dispositions of assets held for more than one year, are taxed at a lower rate"

aquabliss said:
So then it does make sense if you have prop tax due in Apr 2018, to pay it in calendar year 2017 so that it will be deductible?

If you wait until calendar year 2018 to pay the second installment, it may/will not be deductible if the law passes.

Yes, I would say this is true, "as it currently stands."  Lots can change, and I'm sure the bill will be modified quite a bit, but I'd say that's accurate for the current iteration of this bill.

Back