Troy

I?m having some trouble interpreting the comparison chart.
The asian category at Uni High is the only one that?s negative versus Foothill.
All the other categories are positive
Wouldn?t the benefit of going to Uni High include the other categories as well along with the African-American students that were referenced?

He found the differentials between the 2 schools and not the  "progress" pertaining to each school.

For example the Asians scored 10 points higher at foothill than UNI. By sending the Asian kids to UNI the Asian students become dumber by 10 points. His conclusion is to recommend blacks to UNI because blacks scored much higher at UNI than Foothill. That is not going to happen because Asian parents are afraid of blacks and Mexicans. They will do what ever they can to pressure the school to exclude Blacks.

For Asian kids who hate their parents and want to get back at them. By marrying a Latino or black will should work.

So Qwerty how is your relationship with your inlaws?

irvinehomeshopper said:
He found the differentials between the 2 schools and not the  "progress" pertaining to each school.

For example the Asians scored 10 points higher at foothill than UNI. By sending the Asian kids to UNI the Asian students become dumber by 10 points. His conclusion is to recommend blacks to UNI because blacks scored much higher at UNI than Foothill. That is not going to happen because Asian parents are afraid of blacks and Mexicans. They will do what ever they can to pressure the school to exclude Blacks.

For Asian kids who hate their parents and want to get back at them. By marrying a Latino or black will should work.

Thanks, I?m new to the forum and appreciate your response.
Is all of the competitive academic pressure that takes place in Irvine a negative for asians?
Based on the comparison, going to Uni would seem like a positive for all of the other categories.

Asian parents put a lot of pressure on their kids to do well in schools. Just look around in the Jeffrey business park and the Cultural Center. The amount of commercial tutoring and academic enhancement activities are staggering for just one city. All classes are not only full but there is a long waiting list for a spot. Parent are saying the Irvine teachers are not good enough therefore the kids need more education outside of schools.

Kids in the 8th grade are already studying the SAT courses offered though Oxford by Trader Joes on Culver, Chinese Cultural Center in Irvine and Asian Academy in Tustin. The 12 weeks all summer long classes are the kids vacation. This Asian parent obsession is really severe in Irvine but milder for other cities like Rowland Heights, Chino Hills, Walnut, Fullerton and Diamond Bar all consequently with all 10 API standings.

Some Asian parents are after the nuisances of the top brands for bragging rights between Troy, UNI, Dianmond bar and Whitney.

irvinehomeshopper said:

I have a great relationship with my in laws. I'm the son they never had. I'm successful, young and have a great future ahead of me. What else can a parent ask for for their daughter. My inlaws are not the stereotypical parents you describe. They just want their girls to be happy and support whatever the girls want to do. They are very nice people.

woodburydad, you're correct. According to API scores, Uni would be beneficial for all other categories other than Asian. Without knowing (purely a guess), the explanation would be that the significantly larger Asian population uplifts all the other groups (by providing better peer examples). Thus, the biggest gainers from choosing Uni vs Foothill would be the other groups.  Asians would hold steady regardless of school.

The flip-side, again a guess, is that Asian families would try the hardest to get their kids into Uni and the other groups wouldn't try so hard because bragging rights don't really matter.

To summarize: groups who would benefit, for the most part, don't care about API. People who don't benefit, care the most about API.

API score is the brand that Asians crave. Generally in a society where individual entrepreneurialism and  distinction are discouraged. A discreet way to stand out among the herd is that label on the shirt pocket.

Optimus(sub)Prime said:
woodburydad, you're correct. According to API scores, Uni would be beneficial for all other categories other than Asian. Without knowing (purely a guess), the explanation would be that the significantly larger Asian population uplifts all the other groups (by providing better peer examples). Thus, the biggest gainers from choosing Uni vs Foothill would be the other groups.  Asians would hold steady regardless of school.

The flip-side, again a guess, is that Asian families would try the hardest to get their kids into Uni and the other groups wouldn't try so hard because bragging rights don't really matter.

To summarize: groups who would benefit, for the most part, don't care about API. People who don't benefit, care the most about API.

We have generally avoided getting swept up in all of the academic competitiveness that is very prevalent within our community.
It can be very intimidating and overwhelming at times.
It?s good and re-assuring to know that other groups have a chance to succeed in this ultra competitive environment. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asian parents put a lot of pressure on their kids to do well in schools. Just look around in the Jeffrey business park and the Cultural Center. The amount of commercial tutoring and academic enhancement activities are staggering for just one city. All classes are not only full but there is a long waiting list for a spot. Parent are saying the Irvine teachers are not good enough therefore the kids need more education outside of schools.

Kids in the 8th grade are already studying the SAT courses offered though Oxford by Trader Joes on Culver, Chinese Cultural Center in Irvine and Asian Academy in Tustin. The 12 weeks all summer long classes are the kids vacation. This Asian parent obsession is really severe in Irvine but milder for other cities like Rowland Heights, Chino Hills, Walnut, Fullerton and Diamond Bar all consequently with all 10 API standings.

Some Asian parents are after the nuisances of the top brands for bragging rights between Troy, UNI, Dianmond bar and Whitney.

Very nice break down
My wife and I have considered exactly what you have described (the various tutoring programs and academic enhancement activities) simply to keep pace with the others.

I'm just going to have my son keep working on his off-hand dribble and shot... if Jeremy Lin can do it... so can he... although he may or may not be of Chi-wanese decent.

irvinehomeshopper said:
OP, this is a nice comparison. The 2 charts demonstrated Asians having good study discipline regardless Of schools. Take for instance in Garden Grove even with a poverty level Asians did fairly well boosting La Quinta High to among the top 10 in OC.

This is no news to me.  Before the popularity of suburbs ethnic commercialization from 1940-1980 Asian immigrants were poorer than the immigrants today. Their first stumping ground were clustered around Chinatown, Japantown and Koreatown.

Even those somewhat economically well off they still lived among the poors. The students attended schools like Franklin, Lincoln, Manual Arts, Roosevelt, LA High, Wilson High, Belmont High, Hollywood High and Marshall High.

Back in the days these schools were no different than today plagued with gang, drug, pregnancy, and low academic success. Among the population were Asians, Blacks and Latinos. Despite of the disadvantages Asians did extremely well, went to college, and some even became industry leaders.

These earlier generations of Asians are now parents or grand parents of TI members, source of down payment, occupants of the tiny bedroom downstairs, tiger mom, and etc.
I would exempt what some call "South Asian" as those folks who came in the 60s were typically quite skilled and lived in more affluent areas - like Cerritos.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm just going to have my son keep working on his off-hand dribble and shot... if Jeremy Lin can do it... so can he... although he may or may not be of Chi-wanese decent.

You need to move to Palo Alto  :D Not live in Irvine.

Back